Nottingham House

Guest Anastasia

Guest Anastasia

My Great Grandmother,Thirza Webster married a man called Charles Colin Harbutt(Warbutt) in 1901who was a Licensed Victualler at the Nottingham House in Witham Road.

In the 1911 Census he was not mentioned at this address,only Thirza and her son Arnold Shaw Webster,my Grandfather.Arnold was 24 at the time.

I thought that this snippet of information may help someone who is doing research about this Pub.

I have tried to no avail to find out about Arnold and his whereabouts after 1916ish when my Grandmother left Arnold and returned to Liverpool with my father and his brother.Arnold stayed in Sheffield,possibly near to his childhood home at 237 Fulwood Road,I think.

I hope this helps and also helps me gather information,Johanna

164 Witham Road.

Charles Collin Harbutt, (Beerhouse)

White's directory, 1905.

(note the 164)

Not checked any other dates.

I hope this helps and also helps me gather information,Johanna

Looks like you have started something Johanna,

welcome to SheffieldHistory.

Expanded a lot since the 1952 OS

The pub now takes up the whole block between Parkers Road and Parkers Lane. (158-164)

Google Streetview

Expanded a lot since the 1952 OS

The pub now takes up the whole block between Parkers Road and Parkers Lane. (158-164)

Expanded a lot since I left Sheffield in 1981, not as small as The Foresters, but not a very place to my memories.

(Thankfully, I typed 1981, not 1891 as I often do).

One of those addresses used to be a Fish & Chip Shop, lived in by an ex colleague who has now retired. Might have been next door to the original pub as shown on the 1952 map.

164 Witham Road.

Charles Smith (Beerhouse)

Kelly's 1925.

1957 164 Whitham Road, Nottingham House P.H. - no named keeper.

Note - new and improved spelling of Witham :rolleyes:

One of those addresses used to be a Fish & Chip Shop, lived in by an ex colleague who has now retired. Might have been next door to the original pub as shown on the 1952 map.

This news just in from 1957 :

160 Whitham Road, Ernest F. Holt, Fried fish dealer.

and this news just in from 1901 :

156 Whitham Road, Mary A. Pigott (28), Fish & Chip Shop/Coffee House - Daughter of Hannah (Widow, 54)

This news just in from 1957 :

160 Whitham Road, Ernest F. Holt, Fried fish dealer.

That'll have been her Dad.

That'll have been her Dad.

He was known as Fred, I got my first kitten from a litter he had and called her Fred! I remember queing with my Mother on a Saturday lunchtime, he was a lovely, genuine gentleman.

He was known as Fred, I got my first kitten from a litter he had and called her Fred! I remember queing with my Mother on a Saturday lunchtime, he was a lovely, genuine gentleman.

A Fred Fried Fish dealer then :rolleyes:

My Grandfather and Grandmother, Cliff and Mary were publicans and had this pub for a while. Remember seeing the moon landing upstairs there and Mary telling my brother and I it was fake. 69????