Hail Stones This Afternoon

vox

Someone told me there was no hail in their part of Sheffield today.

Did you get it in your area ? How bad ?

The hailstones at Crookes were as big as a penny piece.

It came with such force that it stripped leaves off the lilac tree quite apart from smashing plants to pieces.

It battered the flashing and pointing between my chimney and roof, which resulted in a stream of water through the ceiling.

This one had already melted a bit before I took the photo.

Someone told me there was no hail in their part of Sheffield today.

Did you get it in your area ? How bad ?

The hailstones at Crookes were as big as a penny piece.

It came with such force that it stripped leaves off the lilac tree quite apart from smashing plants to pieces.

It battered the flashing and pointing between my chimney and roof, which resulted in a stream of water through the ceiling.

This one had already melted a bit before I took the photo.

No hailstones at all here in S12 vox, just about half an hour of very heavy rain and 3 hours worth of thunderstorms (with no visible lightening) which seems to have seriously troubled the dog, she wouldn't leave my side all afternoon and was shaking and drooling.

Just across the valley at High Storrs we had half a dozen large raindrops and several claps of thunder.

Hillsborough even got a mention on the Radio 4 6pm weather fortecast!

Just across the valley at High Storrs we had half a dozen large raindrops and several claps of thunder.

Hillsborough even got a mention on the Radio 4 6pm weather fortecast!

Sounds like the northwest side of town took a real battering then.

Amongst all the constant rumbling thunder there was one very large BANG, - but being indoors I saw no visible flash. This was around 4pm.

No reports of any damage though.

no hail in Greenhill yesterday, although......

My wife nipped out for ten mins to one of her friends who lives at meadowhead leaving me to keep an eye on the washing.

When she came back she was horrified to see the washing still on the line as it had been "bouncing" down at her friends but the washing was dry as we had had no rain!!!

No rain in Fulwood/Lodge Moor either. Plenty of very dark clouds all around though which was very strange, and a constant rumbling of thunder.

Plenty of very dark clouds all around though which was very strange, and a constant rumbling of thunder.

Yes it was quite strange,

It was thundering constantly and the sky to the northwest of us was very dark and grey.

But at the same time we were in bright sunshine! :huh:

Yes it was quite strange,

It was thundering constantly and the sky to the northwest of us was very dark and grey.

But at the same time we were in bright sunshine! :huh:

So it is a true saying Dave, “The sun only shines on the righteous.” <_<

A neighbour of mine who works on the Moor near to Moorfoot has just informed me about yesterdays hail storm,

apparently as the hail was melting they had fears that their shop would become flooded.

So it is a true saying Dave, “The sun only shines on the righteous.”

A neighbour of mine who works on the Moor near to Moorfoot has just informed me about yesterdays hail storm,

apparently as the hail was melting they had fears that their shop would become flooded.

We were sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine when the thunder started, and my first reaction was 'This must be the summer then, three fine days and a thunderstorm!'

So it is a true saying Dave, “The sun only shines on the righteous.” <_<

I was down at Moorfoot around 10 o'clock getting my fruit and veg from Sharps grocery store and it was a lovely fine summers day then.

Had a better look at the damage today to see where the water came in.

Great chunks of pointing pounded out by the hail.

Stuck the phone through the skylight.

Had a better look at the damage today to see where the water came in.

Great chunks of pointing pounded out by the hail.

Stuck the phone through the skylight.

That's a fair bit of damage to say it was done by hailstones vox, - takes some force to do that.

I am sure if anyone had been caught outside in such a storm they would have been injured to some extent by such a "stoning"

Usually in hailstorms of this sort the media usually report on damage to vehicles, - dented metal work (particularly roofs and bonnets) and broken / cracked windscreens.