Joseph Martin Bryan Ww1

MotownJunk

Hello

One of my relatives Joseph Martin Bryan of the York an Lancs Regt was wounded an lost his left eye during action in world war one but i dont know what year or battle?

He married on December 24th 1917 an listed his occupation as steelworks labourer so he must have left the army before that date

Just wondering if anyone could help, it would be hugely appreciated

On Ancestry there is two medal cards for Joseph Martin BRYAN.

One for Pte 16005 Yorks & Lancs

The other for Pte 238957 labour corps Joseph Martin BRYAN.

These are the same person, he was discharged 11 Dec 1917 and awarded the Silver War Badge, There is a list of Silver War Badge holders at Kew. (The National Archives)

The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who were discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas.

The award of the badge was noted on the man's medal index card, usually denoted by "Lis" or "SWB List" followed by a code. The code is the key to the entry in the war badge roll. They tend to be much more informative than the medal rolls, giving date of enlistment, age (sometimes), cause of discharge, whether the man had been overseas and occasionally other details.

Angela

Guest Trefcon

The recipients of the Silver War badge are listed in some 300 ledgers at TNA, there is no easy way of tracking one down, you really do have to go through most of the ledgers to find your man. There are a couple of guys i know who have started trying to index all the info, luckily the badge i had was transcribed by them and so i knew who it had been issued to. The Great War forum is the place to ask.

Dean.

On 30/04/2011 at 20:09, Guest Trefcon said:

The recipients of the Silver War badge are listed in some 300 ledgers at TNA, there is no easy way of tracking one down, you really do have to go through most of the ledgers to find your man. There are a couple of guys i know who have started trying to index all the info, luckily the badge i had was transcribed by them and so i knew who it had been issued to. The Great War forum is the place to ask.

Dean.

Sorry for reviving this very old post but i never did find out. Do you know if the info from the ledgers has now been completely indexed?

Regards

Daniel 

On 31/10/2021 at 01:10, MotownJunk said:

Sorry for reviving this very old post but i never did find out. Do you know if the info from the ledgers has now been completely indexed?

Regards

Daniel 

Don't apologise MJ.

Records I'm looking at suggest 238957 Bryan was previously in the Durham Light Infantry...he could also have been York & Lancs before that as troops were often put where they were needed....actually there is a tree on Ancestry ( is it yours?) showing a photo of him wearing the York & Lancs cap badge. It's unfortunate but his Service Record is amongst the 60 % lost in WW2.

Since you originally posted a lot of information has gone online, SWB records, Pension Records, casualty records etc.  If I were you I would post a query on greatwarforum.org....Soldiers and their units.

I'm a member on there but don't have the expertise that many others do. Make sure to read the forum rules first.... and post giving as much information as you know...age, date and place of birth, next of kin, children any addresses you know., plus the service numbers.

You may ( although I don't want to get too many hopes up) well be surprised by how much information the forumites can come up with. With the service number it's often possible to track down exactly when he signed on and by tracing other soldiers round him you can somehow track his movements through the War Diary...although as a Private soldier he will not be named.

The SWB roll shows he attested on 17th/10/1914

• Thanks 1

Just found this in the wounded section of the casualty lists...he will have been wounded sometime in the previous three weeks.

Snap-2021-11-05-at-18-03-10.png

• Like 1

On 05/11/2021 at 17:10, Sadbrewer said:

Don't apologise MJ.

Records I'm looking at suggest 238957 Bryan was previously in the Durham Light Infantry...he could also have been York & Lancs before that as troops were often put where they were needed....actually there is a tree on Ancestry ( is it yours?) showing a photo of him wearing the York & Lancs cap badge. It's unfortunate but his Service Record is amongst the 60 % lost in WW2.

Since you originally posted a lot of information has gone online, SWB records, Pension Records, casualty records etc.  If I were you I would post a query on greatwarforum.org....Soldiers and their units.

I'm a member on there but don't have the expertise that many others do. Make sure to read the forum rules first.... and post giving as much information as you know...age, date and place of birth, next of kin, children any addresses you know., plus the service numbers.

You may ( although I don't want to get too many hopes up) well be surprised by how much information the forumites can come up with. With the service number it's often possible to track down exactly when he signed on and by tracing other soldiers round him you can somehow track his movements through the War Diary...although as a Private soldier he will not be named.

The SWB roll shows he attested on 17th/10/1914

Thanks again! Yes the ancestry account is mine although i haven't been on there for some time. I think he had previously served in the Durham Light Infantry and moved to the Yorks and Lancs (Possibly one of the service battalions) where he was injured he then went on to serve in the labour corps at a later date

Interestingly both the 8th and 10th service battalions were relieved or ordered to move on the 4th April 1916 ready for the battle of the Somme so perhaps this is why he was recorded as wounded on this date.

I will try the great war forum much appreciated.

18 hours ago, MotownJunk said:

Thanks again! Yes the ancestry account is mine although i haven't been on there for some time. I think he had previously served in the Durham Light Infantry and moved to the Yorks and Lancs (Possibly one of the service battalions) where he was injured he then went on to serve in the labour corps at a later date

Interestingly both the 8th and 10th service battalions were relieved or ordered to move on the 4th April 1916 ready for the battle of the Somme so perhaps this is why he was recorded as wounded on this date.

I will try the great war forum much appreciated.

Give them everything you know to save the volunteers wasting time duplicating work you've already done....should get a good response then.

• Thanks 1