1841 Census

mick851

Could somebody double check a John Moulson aged 45 on the 1841 census please, i think his wife is Ann Moulson aged 45 and are living at Manor Cottage, Sheffield Park, ( would that be Manor Cottage on Manor Lane? ) and have they any other family living there?

thanks

mick

Could somebody double check a John Moulson aged 45 on the 1841 census please, i think his wife is Ann Moulson aged 45 and are living at Manor Cottage, Sheffield Park, ( would that be Manor Cottage on Manor Lane? ) and have they any other family living there?

thanks

mick

Manor Cottage, Sheffield, Sheffield Park

MOULSON, John M 45 1796

MOULSON, Ann F 45 1796

COGGAN, Thos M 20 1821

COGGAN, Susan F 15 1826

COGGAN, Charles M 13 1828

thanks

mick

To the household that "syrup" listed, I would add Henry Styring (Accountant), so basically, or technically, there were 3 "family households" living at Manor Cottage in 1841: Styring (unmarried male), Moulson (presumed husband & wife), and the 3 Coggan's (it is uncertain if the two oldest Coggan's were married or if all three were a collection of umarried siblings).

Henry Moulson was recorded as an Ag Labourer, and with the exception of Henry Styring, all 5 of the rest of the residents were born outside of Yorkshire.

Manor Cottage, 1841:

• Henry STYRING M age: 40 (40 - 44 yrs old)
  • John MOULSON M 45 (45 - 49)
  • Ann MOULSON F 45 (45 - 49)
  • Thomas COGGAN M 20 (20 - 24)
  • Susan COGGAN F 15 (15 - 19)
  • Charles COGGAN M 13 (13)

I don't see John & Ann Moulson in Sheffield in 1851, nor do I find Thomas & Susan Coggan. I did find a presumptively correct Charles Coggan in 1851, he being by then 23 yrs old, unmarried, and recorded as a Servant.

Do you know what happened to John & Ann Moulson after 1841 ?

Regarding where "Manor Cottage" was .... It may have been on Manor Lane somewhere, maybe on the north end, but it is noteworthy that in 1841, the seperate address "Manor Lane" was enumerated totalling 54 people in 12 households. Also, whereas Manor Cottage appears first, on page 1 of 24 in the 1841 ED18 (enumeration district 18) census record, Manor Lane appears way down the list on pages 21 - 24 ... the implication being that Manor Cottage and Manor Lane were at least somewhat widely seperated. Enumeration of the Manor ruins themselves (they being on or along Manor Lane) directly preceded the enumeration of Manor Lane, where the Manor ruins enumerations appear on pages 16 - 21 of 24.

Also, ED18 in 1841 numbered 585 persons in 109 households, spread across 25 "addresses," (some of which creatively named or ID'd), and aside from John & Ann Moulson, there were no other Moulson's (or any variant thereof) living in ED18 in 1841.

Mike

Again, per the 1841 census, both John and Ann Moulson were born outside of Yorkshire.... however, could this be their marriage in Sheffield? :

JOHN MOULSON - International Genealogical Index / BI

Gender: Male Marriage: 19 MAY 1811 Cathedral Saint Peter, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Bride: Ann Hills

Mike

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to suspect that maybe (emphasis on maybe) the three Coggan's are Ann Moulson's children by a previous marriage... and if that is true, then there is the highly assumptive possibility that Ann's prior husband was a certain Joseph Coggan... and if that is true then there is the possibility that this is the correct Charles Coggan, ie., the yougest of the three Coggan's in 1841:

CHARLES COGGAN - International Genealogical Index / BI

Gender: Male Christening: 01 JUN 1828 Finningley, Nottingham, England

Parents: Joseph Coggan and Ann

Mike

To the household that "syrup" listed, I would add Henry Styring (Accountant), so basically, or technically, there were 3 "family households" living at Manor Cottage in 1841: Staring (unmarried male), Moulson (presumed husband & wife), and the 3 Coggan's (it is uncertain if the two oldest Coggan's were married or if all three were a collection of unmarried siblings).

Henry Moulson was recorded as an Ag Labourer, and with the exception of Henry Styring, all 5 of the rest of the residents were born outside of Yorkshire.

Manor Cottage, 1841:

• Henry STYRING M age: 40 (40 - 44 yrs old)
  • John MOULSON M 45 (45 - 49)
  • Ann MOULSON F 45 (45 - 49)
  • Thomas COGGAN M 20 (20 - 24)
  • Susan COGGAN F 15 (15 - 19)
  • Charles COGGAN M 13 (13)

I don't see John & Ann Moulson in Sheffield in 1851, nor do I find Thomas & Susan Coggan. I did find a presumptively correct Charles Coggan in 1851, he being by then 23 yrs old, unmarried, and recorded as a Servant.

Do you know what happened to John & Ann Moulson after 1841 ?

Regarding where "Manor Cottage" was .... It may have been on Manor Lane somewhere, maybe on the north end, but it is noteworthy that in 1841, the separate address "Manor Lane" was enumerated totalling 54 people in 12 households. Also, whereas Manor Cottage appears first, on page 1 of 24 in the 1841 ED18 (enumeration district 18) census record, Manor Lane appears way down the list on pages 21 - 24 ... the implication being that Manor Cottage and Manor Lane were at least somewhat widely separated. Enumeration of the Manor ruins themselves (they being on or along Manor Lane) directly preceded the enumeration of Manor Lane, where the Manor ruins enumerations appear on pages 16 - 21 of 24.

Also, ED18 in 1841 numbered 585 persons in 109 households, spread across 25 "addresses," (some of which creatively named or ID'd), and aside from John & Ann Moulson, there were no other Moulson's (or any variant thereof) living in ED18 in 1841.

Mike

Thanks Mike for that info,

I'd heard Styring had the large section of the house built around the 1850's, the smaller cottage bit was built, i was told somewhere around 1620's????, it has other bits built onto it, built with rough random stone work, unlike the original part of the cottage. Manor Cottage still stands, but in a ruined state at the moment, its supposed to be getting restored at some point. My family the Norton's and the Barnes had lived at Manor Cottage from about 1900 ( might be earlier? ) to 1994.

mick

Thanks Mike for that info,

I'd heard Styring had the large section of the house built around the 1850's, the smaller cottage bit was built, i was told somewhere around 1620's????, it has other bits built onto it, built with rough random stone work, unlike the original part of the cottage. Manor Cottage still stands, but in a ruined state at the moment, its supposed to be getting restored at some point. My family the Norton's and the Barnes had lived at Manor Cottage form about 1900 ( might be earlier? ) to 1994.

mick

Hi Mick,

In your original query you asked if there was any other family members living there, in the general area, in 1841. My gut tells me that in a sense the answer is Yes, ... and that they would be the three Coggan's, who I suspect might have been Ann Moulson's children by a previous marriage. There is some birth event records to support this, but there is also a clue in the original 1841 census page itself based on how the 1841 enumerator entered names and marked heads of households and surname changes. See the attached snippet of the original census page that shows the group in Manor Cottage. Note that the eldest Coggan, (Thomas), was not given the same hash-mark that appears to look like a "1" in the column to the left of the entered names of Henry Styring and John Moulson. The marks that appear as a "1" coincide with Heads of Households. For Thomas there is instead the long diagonal stroke that the enumerator applied when there was a surname change in the chronology -- in this case at Manor Cottage -- where the surnames changed from Styring, to the first of two Moulson's, and then to the first of three Coggan's (Thomas Coggan). In other words, Thomas Coggan was not himself a Head of Household, but was instead a member of the household of John Moulson and wife Ann Moulson. The three Coggan's were either all boarders residing with the Moulson's or they were the differently surnamed children of Ann Moulson, who I am suspecting was formerly Ann Coggan.

For the record, I'm suspecting that Nottingham is/was the former County of residence of Ann Moulson and all three of the Coggan's; given what is known about the presumptively correct Charles Coggan in the 1851 census, and what appear to be, or might be, tentatively supporting birth records.

Mike

I believe these are your John Moulson and Ann (Coggan) Moulson:

Marriages Jun 1838

MOULSON John Doncaster 22 59

Marriages Jun 1838

COGGAN Ann Doncaster 22 59

As far as Ann's maiden surname goes, this is the only record I could find of a Coggan male marrying a woman named Ann within the expected time frame... the "expected time frame" being a period of years prior to, or leading up to, the birth of Thomas Coggan:

JOSEPH COGGAN - International Genealogical Index / BI

Gender: Male Marriage: 31 MAR 1817 Sheffield Cathedral, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Bride: Ann Brook

-----------------------

Incidentally,,,, A couple of my ggg-gf's siblings (Jackson's -- one male, one female), both married a Barnes: Thomas Jackson married Bridget Barnes, and Mary Jackson married a George Barnes... all of them being Manor residents, and both pairs marrying within one year of each other -- 1841-42. As far as I am aware, both married pairs remained at the Manor until well into the 1850s, at least. I know, there were a lot of Barnes around, but hey, who knows!

Mike

I believe these are your John Moulson and Ann (Coggan) Moulson:

Marriages Jun 1838

MOULSON John Doncaster 22 59

Marriages Jun 1838

COGGAN Ann Doncaster 22 59

As far as Ann's maiden surname goes, this is the only record I could find of a Coggan male marrying a woman named Ann within the expected time frame... the "expected time frame" being a period of years prior to, or leading up to, the birth of Thomas Coggan:

JOSEPH COGGAN - International Genealogical Index / BI

Gender: Male Marriage: 31 MAR 1817 Sheffield Cathedral, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Bride: Ann Brook

-----------------------

Incidentally,,,, A couple of my ggg-gfs siblings (Jackson's -- one male, one female), both married a Barnes: Thomas Jackson married Bridget Barnes, and Mary Jackson married a George Barnes... all of them being Manor residents, and both pairs marrying within one year of each other -- 1841-42. As far as I am aware, both married pairs remained at the Manor until well into the 1850s, at least. I know, there were a lot of Barnes around, but hey, who knows!

Mike

I know Styring was still living there in the 1850'S until ????. This is how Manor Cottage is now, the big section, Styring had built, the middle section is the oldest, and where that bottom kitchen window is im 99.9% sure that used to be the original door way, before the extensions either side of it. The Barnes who was living there in 1915 was John Henry Barnes and Deborah Barnes.