Original Sheffield Register Office

Guest liamdsmith

Guest liamdsmith

I know that the original Sheffield Register office was next door to the Surrey Pub on Surrey Street, but does anyone know if any pictures exist of it ?

Guest Falls

I know that the original Sheffield Register office was next door to the Surrey Pub on Surrey Street, but does anyone know if any pictures exist of it ?

Hi,

Pictures Sheffield should have shot of the Registry office at Surrey Street; however, this was not the 'original' site of the office. Before Surrey Street, the office was in the Corn Exchange on Sheaf Street. Not even sure if the Corn Exchange was the original site either.

Regards

... Not even sure if the Corn Exchange was the original site either.

No, it wasn't ...

For the Sheffield district it was Union Offices, West Bar

Mr Joseph Spencer, Clerk to the Guardians and Superintendent Registrar - 1893

Mr J S Stephens, Superintendent Registrar - certainly in 1904, 1911

Mr John Lighfoot, Superintendent Registrar - certainly in 1919, 1925

For Ecclesall Bierlow (including Beauchief, Dore, Ecclesall Bierlow, Heeley, Nether Hallam, Norton, Norton Within, Totley, and Upper Hallam) in 1904 Mr Joseph Albert Beard, Superintendent Registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Ecclesall Bierlow, District Register Office, 31 Union Road, The Edge.:rolleyes:

Joseph held the post in 1911 through to 1925 (maybe longer); he lived at 10 Grange Road in 1911 and at 111 Machon Bank in 1919 and 1925.

--------------

This next bit from 1904 :

All marriages at Dissenting places of worship (except those where "Authorised Persons," under the Marriage Act 1898, have been appointed) must be solemized in the presence of a registrar of marriages.

Rgistrars :

Sheffield District :

Mr Whitehead, 179 Petre Street

Mr G E Barber, Vestry Offices, Attercliffe

and

Mr W J Hardcastle, Woodhouse

Ecclesall Bierlow District :

Mr William Henry Bennett, 77 Meersbrook Park Road, Heeley

Mr William Richards, 29 Parker's Road, Broomhill and 8 Central Chambers, High Street.

Marriages may only be celebrated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.

-----------------

Reasonably comprehensive answer !

Thank you to everyone who has replied, this is very helpful

Nothing to say my post is the "original" Register Office ...

This was the entrance to it in the 60's before it moved to the Wedding Cake building.

This is - not a very good photo - taken in 1971 outside the Sheffield Registry Office.

I always thought it was Surrey Street but it doesn't look like the Google street view?

This is - not a very good photo - taken in 1971 outside the Sheffield Registry Office.

I always thought it was Surrey Street but it doesn't look like the Google street view?

Odd Thylacine.

It doesn't look like the same place at all does it?

1968 I got married there and I'm sure it was in the side of the Town Hall. Up some steps.

That's the only entrance I can see so I assumed it was the place.

This was the entrance to it in the 60's before it moved to the Wedding Cake building.

This photo of THYLACINE looks like Bank St, looking away from Snig Hill,

The right hand side of the road remains little changed.

As Liamdsmith said, the Registry office was on Surrey St prior to the opening of the "Wedding Cake"

This is what I remember as the Registry Office, prior to the Wedding Cake

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Surrey+Street,+Norton&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=18.199598,57.084961&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Surrey+St,+Norton,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.380481,-1.468419&amp;spn=0.008947,0.027874&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.380038,-1.467207&amp;panoid=FoMMxmeka0RR3PV3CsXdEg&amp;cbp=12,258.08,,0,0&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Surrey+Street,+Norton&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=18.199598,57.084961&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Surrey+St,+Norton,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.380481,-1.468419&amp;spn=0.008947,0.027874&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.380038,-1.467207&amp;panoid=FoMMxmeka0RR3P

Guest Falls

--------------

This next bit from 1904 :

All marriages at Dissenting places of worship (except those where "Authorised Persons," under the Marriage Act 1898, have been appointed) must be solemized in the presence of a registrar of marriages.

Rgistrars :

Sheffield District :

Mr Whitehead, 179 Petre Street

Mr G E Barber, Vestry Offices, Attercliffe

and

Mr W J Hardcastle, Woodhouse

Ecclesall Bierlow District :

Mr William Henry Bennett, 77 Meersbrook Park Road, Heeley

Mr William Richards, 29 Parker's Road, Broomhill and 8 Central Chambers, High Street.

Marriages may only be celebrated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Hi,

This quote reminded me of a bit of personal history on this topic:

My wife and I were married at Nether Congregational Church* on Norfolk Street in the early 1960's.

As this was defined as a "Dessenting Place of Worship", most likely under the same legislation refered to above, the "Bann's" were not "Read" in the church but had to be "Posted" on a special notice board inside the entrance of the Surrey Street Registry office. I remember we had to go down to the office on a particular Saturday morning prior to the wedding, to make sure they were up on the board and everything was in order. Other couples were there doing the same thing.

Then on the day of the wedding, a Registrar was at Nether and we signed the Register in his presence.

* The old Nether church buildings were demolished in the late 1960's(?). The present Central United Reform Church occupies most of the original site.

We were married at the Surrey Street Register Office in April 1971 and I can confirm that they were situated in the building that now houses the Surrey Public House. We have some photos taken at precisely the same spot as the previously posted photo but facing the other way towards the then Sheffield Polytechnic. We too had to travel down several weeks before the event to make sure the banns were correctly posted up just inside the door. I understand the building was previously a Masonic Lodge which would explain the symbolism carved on the exterior.

Does anyone remember the Vehicle Taxation Office that used to be located in a single story building down the side of the register office ? I have memories of very long waits when renewing bike or car tax discs.

HD

Guest wapntake

We were married at the Surrey Street Register Office in April 1971 and I can confirm that they were situated in the building that now houses the Surrey Public House. We have some photos taken at precisely the same spot as the previously posted photo but facing the other way towards the then Sheffield Polytechnic. We too had to travel down several weeks before the event to make sure the banns were correctly posted up just inside the door. I understand the building was previously a Masonic Lodge which would explain the symbolism carved on the exterior.

Does anyone remember the Vehicle Taxation Office that used to be located in a single story building down the side of the register office ? I have memories of very long waits when renewing bike or car tax discs.

HD

I was best man at my mates wedding in 1979 at the old wedding cake building, it backed on to Arundel Gate and had steps down to the footpath below, it also had an area for taking photos, it was just like a production line as one wedding went out the back one was going in the front.

HD

That's right HD. I think there was also an entrance at the end nearest the Town Hall, which was in a small extension, which was knocked down after the office moved, where the Fringe entrance was built on? The building was a number of things in its time. It started as a Masonic Hall, hence the decoration. It also housed some of the Council IT department for a while, before finally ending up as a pub.

After the VTO moved out of the prefab I worked there for a while when it housed the School Libraries Dept. It also had a substantial strongroom which Archives used for some of their material. One of the top brass had the idea of having a tunnel built between the library basement stack and the strongroom. He also suggested the library take over the masonic hall, and roof Surrey Street to link it to the library under a single roof.

When the library was built in the early30's, it was anticipated that the day would come when it would need to be extended, so an extension was designed at the same time. That's why the building is faced in white stone, except for the end facing Arundel Gate, which is where the extension wss to be added on. Unfortunately, someone built Arundel Gate across the site, hence the brainstorming for alternatives!

HD

Quite right - I was married there in May 1963.

I also, like you, remember the long waits at The Vehicle Taxation Office just around the corner - hated having to go there - there is a photo of this somewhere on Picture Sheffield.

On 4/18/2011 at 22:46, liamdsmith said:

On 4/18/2011 at 22:46, liamdsmith said:

Hi my parents were ADH Demolition Limited they demolished the Old register office down on 17th December 1973, it was no 88 Surrey Street sheffield before it was moved and nicknamed the wedding cake previously to this site it was in the old corn exchange building20180202_171131.thumb.jpg.d7ff2e0a604f74ea57a9e9f3644e3675.jpg