Lemon Factory

Guest central

Guest central

Hi just found on the 1911 census that a relation of mine Lousia baines aged 17 worked in a Lemon Factory in Sheffield she lived on Jenkinson St would anyone have heard of this factory ??

Hi just found on the 1911 census that a relation of mine Lousia baines aged 17 worked in a Lemon Factory in Sheffield she lived on Jenkinson St would anyone have heard of this factory ??

Never heard of a Lemon Factory; isn't that a tree ?

Probably a mineral water factory, ie: lemonade factory,

don't you think ?

Probably a mineral water factory, ie: lemonade factory,

don't you think ?

Either that or a processing place, producing erm ..., lemon juice probably.

Peter Paul And Mary should know the answer. :mellow:

Lemon tree, very pretty,

and the lemon flower is sweet,

But the fruit of the poor lemon

is impossible to eat.

Yes Richard, lemons grow on trees.

Being a citrus fruit the lemon tree needs a much milder climate than our own and tends to grow in Mediterranean areas rather than the centre os Sheffield.

However, they can be grown under cover in this country.

My wife has a miniature lemon tree down in her greenhouse which regularly produces between 2 and 5 lemons per year.

However, over the recent winter we have used around 15 gallons of paraffin to keep the greenhouse heated, and at around £8 a gallon if the lemon tree was the only thing in the greenhouse it would make that small crop of lemons very expensive.

It has to be a processing plant we are talking about here doesn't it?

Surely you would talk about lemons themselves being farmed rather than factory produced, which implies they have been manufactured.

Yes Richard, lemons grow on trees.

Being a citrus fruit the lemon tree needs a much milder climate than our own and tends to grow in Mediterranean areas rather than the centre os Sheffield.

However, they can be grown under cover in this country.

My wife has a miniature lemon tree down in her greenhouse which regularly produces between 2 and 5 lemons per year.

However, over the recent winter we have used around 15 gallons of paraffin to keep the greenhouse heated, and at around £8 a gallon if the lemon tree was the only thing in the greenhouse it would make that small crop of lemons very expensive.

It has to be a processing plant we are talking about here doesn't it?

Surely you would talk about lemons themselves being farmed rather than factory produced, which implies they have been manufactured.

Just been and had a look in MrsH's greenhouse and perhaps she is running a lemon factory! :o

Given that it is only April I was suprised to find her plants in Blossom and bearing fruit already. :blink:

Perhaps that extra heating required over the winter is paying off.

Plant bearing a fairly large but unripened lemon, so looking more like a lime

Smaller, ripened fruits from last years crop

Plants showing white lemon blossom buds, - if pollenated that's more lemons this year.

timestamp='1302954544' post='86057']

timestamp='1302979039' post='86093']

Either that or a processing place, producing erm ..., lemon juice probably.

Jenkinson Street was where the Kelvin Flats once stood,

so what about a Peel Preserving Works at Owlerton, it was there in 1903

onwards.

Later to become a Confectionery Wk's (is it Bassett's)

Link to

I think SteveHB had the answer with Bassetts, but the factory was on Portland Street, just a couple of minutes walk from Jenkinson Street. The works was marked up as being a confectionery works in 1892 and was still there in 1905 - - probably still there in 1911?

The Illustrated Guide to Sheffield of 1879 gives Bassetts a good write up and tells us that they were making candied peel, and importing many thousands of lemons per year from Messina (Sicily I believe).

The works was marked up as being a confectionery works in 1892 and was still there in 1905 - - probably still there in 1911?

Yes Edmund, Bassetts was still on the same site in 1925, address given as 76 Albert Terrace Road.