Pork Butchers

GillMar

Seems a suitable work around the accent problem but I suspect it would still look wrong to someone whose native language is German.

I translate that as being

PORK butcher abd SAUSAGE maker ;-)

I wasn't skitting at the people who transcribe, I think they are wonderful to give up so much of their free time to make it easy for us to find our ancestors. The fact that a number of sites have "transcription howlers" does not reflect on their gratefulness.

I wasn't skitting at the people who transcribe, I think they are wonderful to give up so much of their free time to make it easy for us to find our ancestors. The fact that a number of sites have "transcription howlers" does not reflect on their gratefulness.

Seem to remember a very old TV ad for Ye Olde Oak tinned "chopped ham and pork"

Mother sends lad down to shops to get some and he repeats "chopped ham and pork" over and over so he won't forget it

But when he gets to the shop he asks for "popped ham and chalk"

Funny, yes, but still cannot see the connection to * transcription howlers"??

Nobody (at least I hope not) ridicules the transcrption volunteers but there are "howlers" out there.

I spend quite a lot of time correcting the wrong transcriptions on Ancestry and they gratefully acknowledge my efforts.

Funny, yes, but still cannot see the connection to * transcription howlers"??

Nobody (at least I hope not) ridicules the transcrption volunteers but there are "howlers" out there.

I spend quite a lot of time correcting the wrong transcriptions on Ancestry and they gratefully acknowledge my efforts.

I think a lot of transcribers that volunteer to transcribe information for the Internet, especially those doing it for family history / genealogy websites have such a long, repetative, time consuming job that is inevitable that mistakes will be made.

I also think that many transcriptions are not "proof read" or checked before being uploaded due to the extra time that would take.

So, most of these sites are reliant on the users to spot errors and inform them so that they can be corrected and most would be grateful that you report mistakes to them.

I agree that transcribers come in for a lot of unfair criticism. The Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints site FamilySearch comes in for a lot of unfair criticism for its "lack of accuracy" in it's transcriptions even though the Mormon church holds a vast database and shares it free of charge with everybody, not just it's own members. What's more, if there is a transcription error you can go back to the original document if you can access one of their family history libraries.

Guest Sadie Mitchell

Hi Gill, my Dad was Peter Hannenan. He had Hanneman & Sons butchers in Rotherham with his cousin, Brian. The shop started on Frederick St in Rotherham by their Grandfather who came over from Germany with his brother and their families. We believe his brother settled in Hull where they landed. The shops were passed on to his sons- Fred & Carl (my grandfather).  Unfortunately we don't know much more as it wasn't talked about for some reason.

984755113_101Frederickstreet1912.png.85404d190d243b39046e92133c86b8ea.png

2085511625_101Frederickstreet1915.thumb.png.5f295e8e4c44eb29d7833e03a9497a5e.png

894806182_101Frederickstreet1917.thumb.png.9edac49eb61da652924d724be5dcc473.png

2005187935_101Frederickstreet1917_1.thumb.png.365792dd8f82d0b8c51a1baf7def6c4d.png

The Hull branch of the family also suffered from anti- German riots following the sinking of the Lusitania. John Hanneman's shop at 313 Hedon Road, Hull was looted on 7th June 1915.  Three women "of good character" were later fined for theft.  Mr Hanneman tried to get compensation under the Riot (Damages) Act, but the Hull Watch Committee turned it down because he did not comply with the statutory regulations. At this point he was serving in France!