Have Any Of You Ever Wondered.....

Guest Danny

Guest Danny

lol, i put my original post on, then my wife took the lap top and i didnt see the replies which were left until late last night.

It would be hliarious to approach some unsespecting individual in Smiths, ask 'Are you from Sheffield History' lol, they would think you are a true lunatic, it sounds like you are asking them if they are from the past!

i like the ideas, although like DaveH says, I think the chances of actually bumping into another member are pretty scarce.

(also, I have wondered about approaching people i see out and about who I see taking photos of buildings/streets etc and asking them the same)

I probably wouldn't need a badge: just watch out for an overweight middle-aged woman with two cameras looking at the tops of buildings, trying to replicate an image on a sheet of paper or photographing buses: that will be me :wacko::):wacko:. This will be a rare event as I am not in Sheffield very often :( .

Only other time I'm likely to be near another Sheffield History member is in Hexham which is about halfway between my home and RichardB's. Hexham, of course, has this attraction for Sheffield History members.

Guest Unitedite

Maybe we should all have a secret password .. he he

As long as we do'nt have to go down the Masonic path of funny references to the "mother's son", or having to bare the left buttock, or having to exchange thumb shakes, backwards, whilst simultaneously doing a one handed, handstand.

But on the latin idea, some possible options for consideration could be:-

Non Gradus Anus Rodentum! Not Worth A Rats Ass!

"Merda taurorum animas conturbit" (Bullshit baffles brains)

"Corripe Cervisiam" (Seize the beer!)

Re vera, potas bene. (Say, you sure are drinking a lot.)

Da mihi sis cerevisiam dilutam. (I'll have a light beer.)

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? (Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?)

Vescere bracis meis. (Eat my shorts.)

he he

lol, i put my original post on, then my wife took the lap top and i didnt see the replies which were left until late last night.

It would be hliarious to approach some unsespecting individual in Smiths, ask 'Are you from Sheffield History' lol, they would think you are a true lunatic, it sounds like you are asking them if they are from the past!

i like the ideas, although like DaveH says, I think the chances of actually bumping into another member are pretty scarce.

(also, I have wondered about approaching people i see out and about who I see taking photos of buildings/streets etc and asking them the same)

Or if you're out on a country walk and see someone coming along on an electric chariot, and ask that very question.... and that's how I met our own Hilldweller!;-)

(Mind you, his description of his means of transport, and the fact we weren't that far from his home turf were clues!)

Normally we would be able to wear a badge with our avatars on it, but it appears that would not be fool proof!

No it wouldn't would it Markbaby.

Especially as your avitar and Blackys avitar appear to be identical (The Radio Hallam badge)

Not sure about that Danny.

Most people I see with cameras photographing anything and everything in the City in a snaphappy sort of way all appear to be Japanese.

I don't think we have that many Japanese members.

Guest Danny

Most people I see with cameras photographing anything and everything in the City in a snaphappy sort of way all appear to be Japanese.

lol, good point Dave

I swear i saw a Japanase guy stood in front of the new PC WOrld/Currys shop in Meadowhall and what i presume was his wife was taking a picture of him?? EH????

I was in camera-happy-mode near Bowling Green Street when I was propositioned by a "Lady of the Night" - or an afternoon hooker since it was just gone Noon.

Are you lost ?

She asked ... eventually (after the are you looking for business question)

Yes, I said, by about 160 years ... Happy Days.

Just out of interest -

Some years ago I made contact with a distant cousin via the internet, both of us researching our family history. He came from Wiltshire to visit me along with his father (with whom I share the same great grandmother) who now lived in ILkley. Six months later my husband and myself were visiting a National Trust poperty and in the same room at the same time as us was the father and his wife.

It made me wonder how often this might happen in life. Had we not met previously we would have both been in that room taking no notice of each other yet related. I've also researched my grandson's mother's line to find her ancestors lived a few doors away from my ancestors in the 1800s.

Lyn

Or if you're out on a country walk and see someone coming along on an electric chariot, and ask that very question.... and that's how I met our own Hilldweller!;-)

(Mind you, his description of his means of transport, and the fact we weren't that far from his home turf were clues!)

It sounds as if my chariot needs a disguise lol Perhaps I could fit a fairing on the front with a Triumph badge and a big pair of chrome-plated exhausts. I could design a sound system to make a loud rasping exhaust noise, but the flat-out speed of 8 miles an hour might be a give away.

Still it was very pleasant to meet a fellow forummer even if the location was a bit wind-swept.

HD

If you are stood next to another Sheffield History member?

I always go to the local history section of book shops to see if there are any new books i dont have for sale, and there are sometimes other people there looking at books also. It makes me wonder if any of these people are any of you guys off of here.

Anyone else??

Dan

For as long as I can remember (about 10 minutes ago nowadays) people have been coming up to me and saying "Sh". I thought it was because I've got a very loud booming voice but perhaps they were all fellow Sheffield History Forum Members.

I first noticed this happening about sixty years ago, but I guess SH wasn't thought of then.

Perhaps this could be the password we need, go up to some-one and say "Sh", if they go quiet then they are not forummers, if they punch you to the floor then they may be forummers but perhaps not. ;-)

Just a suggestion lol

HD

I often wonder if there are any SH members around when I'm in the Local Sudies

I look at people and think , could that be him or him or her.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon and if I hear someone saying SH over my shoulder

then I know my cover has been blown B)

You could always have a post a picture of yourself thread. I know UKMIX forum have a thread among these lines. Only with Sheffield History it's easy to do it having it's own uploading of pictures operation. The UKMIX one you have to join one of those picture storage sites which are a real pain in the you know what!

It could be part of the introduce yourself section -pinned of course! :)

If you don't want to post your mug shots you don't have to. :P

I'm always there on my, albeit, rare visits to Home, maybe we need a badge ? or to wear a flaming-helmet a-la-Arthur Brown.

I am the god of hell fire, and I bring you

Fire, I'll take you to burn

Fire, I'll take you to learn

I'll see you burn

I often wonder if there are any SH members around when I'm in the Local Sudies

I look at people and think , could that be him or him or her.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon and if I hear someone saying SH over my shoulder

then I know my cover has been blown B)

It could also make you paranoid.

From now on I will walk around Sheffield looking shifty and constantly looking over my shoulder :unsure:B) <_<

It sounds as if my chariot needs a disguise lol Perhaps I could fit a fairing on the front with a Triumph badge and a big pair of chrome-plated exhausts. I could design a sound system to make a loud rasping exhaust noise, but the flat-out speed of 8 miles an hour might be a give away.

Still it was very pleasant to meet a fellow forummer even if the location was a bit wind-swept.

HD

A pair of exhausts, so it's a Speedtwin or a Bonneville but not a Trident.

..and as for the loud rasping exhaust noise, - there is evidence in the Old Testament (Exodos) that Moses was the first man to ride a motorbike but it had a faulty exhaust silencer.

"And lo, - the roar of Moses Triumph could be heard throughout Israel" lol

It could also make you paranoid.

From now on I will walk around Sheffield looking shifty and constantly looking over my shoulder :unsure:B)<_<

Oh well then Dave, you should be easy to spot. he he

Would it have to be so secret that even none of us knew what it was? That would be pretty secret... also pretty useless!

What about ..

Question:

“Can you direct me to the Peace Gardens please ?”

SH members reply:

“Are you referring to the area that is named after Charles Peace ?”

I am the god of hell fire, and I bring you

Fire, I'll take you to burn

Fire, I'll take you to learn

I'll see you burn

Shouldn't that be "I am the god of hell fire and i bring you"

RAY STUART

;-) lol

Oh well then Dave, you should be easy to spot. he he

Well if you want to spot me ukelele lady you will have to keep looking up at bedroom windows for a bloke with a camera lol

Shouldn't that be "I am the god of hell fire and i bring you"

RAY STUART

;-)lol

On this occasion no as Richard had mentioned the crazy world of Arthur Brown and so it was direct quote of his work.

However, a nice Sheffield connection there to Ray Stuart.

...and I bet one of our members has got that very Radio Hallam jingle in mp3 format which they could post on here in the Radio Hallam topic.