Mystery Object

Bayleaf

Excellent work; have several Greenhouse Points !

Thank-you but I will not be able to use them this year. I'm giving the greenhouse a miss this year. I haven't been able to find the secret of the type of tomatoes I like. Over the last few years I've tried several varieties but they all seem to be green one minute and over-ripe the next. I like tomatoes when they are orange coloured with a bit of resistance to my molars. The shops are full of this type of tomato but can I heck as like grow them like that. I suspect the commercial growers pick them green and ripen them with ethylene to a colour chart.

I'll try again next year with yet another different variety.

HD

Brilliant. That little mystery didnt last long then.

Does anyone else find it fascinating that they decided they didnt need the green houses any more, for whatever reason that was, but they just left the chimney. And since, it hasnt 'got in the way' of anything else that any one has wanted to do in the area and it has just been left to look down on all the changes going on around it?

Or is that just me?

Perhaps it was subsequently used as a general purpose incinerator for stuff that couldn't be burnt on the fires in the "big house" ?

There would be stuff like used bedding from the stables and garden trimmings that could easily be disposed of.

Only a thought.

HD

Thank-you but I will not be able to use them this year. I'm giving the greenhouse a miss this year. I haven't been able to find the secret of the type of tomatoes I like. Over the last few years I've tried several varieties but they all seem to be green one minute and over-ripe the next. I like tomatoes when they are orange coloured with a bit of resistance to my molars. The shops are full of this type of tomato but can I heck as like grow them like that. I suspect the commercial growers pick them green and ripen them with ethylene to a colour chart.

I'll try again next year with yet another different variety.

HD

Didn't we discuss growing different types of tomotoes and what they were like once before and what they were like or am I imagining things? :unsure:

Link Fairy!!!! :mellow:

Didn't we discuss growing different types of tomotoes and what they were like once before and what they were like or am I imagining things? :unsure:

Link Fairy!!!! :mellow:

Are you suffering from a bout of idle-ites Dave,

or could it be that tomotoes never came up in your SH search ? <_<

SH link Home Grown Tomatoes

:)

You say Tomotoes and I say Tomatoes

Let's call the whole thing off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

No Steve not idleitus and no I didn't bother searching for it either.

It was one of those quite worrying moments when you question if your brain is really working or if it is starting pack up.

I honestly couldn't remember if this deja-vu feeling I got when reading hilldwellers post was because we had discussed tomatoes before in another post or if the whole thing was just in my imagination. I had serious worries and concerns about senility or losing my mind so I just tried to forget about it rather than try to remember (or bother to find out for myself) the real details of the matter.

You say Tomotoes and I say Tomatoes

Let's call the whole thing off :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HD

A classic song by George and Ira Gershwin.

One of their later works, written in 1937, the year George died.

It was sung by many artists over the years and featured in the 1937 film "Shall We Dance" with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers.

Now, here we go again!!!

I can remember posting on here somewhere a video clip of Fred and Ginger from that very film, dancing to an instrumental version of "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" on roller skates, making Torville and Dean look like a pair of amateurs.

Once again, did I really post that or am I imagining it? :unsure:

I can remember posting on here somewhere a video clip of Fred and Ginger from that very film, dancing to an instrumental version of "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" on roller skates, making Torville and Dean look like a pair of amateurs.

Once again, did I really post that or am I imagining it? :unsure:

Not sure Dave, but you posted this one .. www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Not sure Dave, but you posted this one .. www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Yes that was a similar one and it was probably the one I was thinking of but it was not the "Lets Call The Whole Thing Off" video.

The full version from the film doesn't seem to be available on Youtube as it is in 2 parts. In the first bit Fred sings the song with Ginger while they are sat at the edge of a small roller skating rink, then in the second part the orchestra continues an instrumental version of the song while Fred and Ginger get up and do the classic roller skate dance.

The second part can be seen here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fb-G07i35eE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guest Unitedite

Sorted

Sorted!!! <_<

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

Do we have any notion as to who commissioned it's construction and as to who designed and who built the thing?

Does anyone know as to whether any photos of the glasshouses exist and as to when they were actually demolished?

Surely they must have been comparable with the Crystal Palace to warrant the inclusion of such an impressive chimney!

ps - I'm not trying to damp-squib this excellent piece of investigative work, but surely someone must know more.

lol

Sorted!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do we have any notion as to who commissioned it's construction and as to who designed and who built the thing?

Does anyone know as to whether any photos of the glasshouses exist and as to when they were actually demolished?

Surely they must have been comparable with the Crystal Palace to warrant the inclusion of such an impressive chimney!

ps - I'm not trying to damp-squib this excellent piece of investigative work, but surely someone must know more.

lol

You could approximate the size from the overlay in this post. . Added together they would certainly have a footprint larger than the house! As to the house itself, Pevsner manages not to mention it, so no clue there.

You could approximate the size from the overlay in this post. . Added together they would certainly have a footprint larger than the house! As to the house itself, Pevsner manages not to mention it, so no clue there.

Pevsner does in fact mention it (page 252).

It is described as an extraordinary chimney built in 1868 as part of a greenhouse for William Stones the brewer. It is described as possibly modelled on a column of the SE gate to the Great Court at Bolsover Castle.

So now (perhaps) we know.

HD

It is described as an extraordinary chimney built in 1868 as part of a greenhouse for William Stones the brewer. It is described as possibly modelled on a column of the SE gate to the Great Court at Bolsover Castle.

HD

Thanks HD. Too busy scanning house and street names to spot that. I really must slow down the scanning, the old eyes aren't what they were!

HD

I have found a photo on this site of the Sout East Gate of Bolsover Castle and there is a slight resemblance.( Maybe ?)

http://www.oldminer.co.uk/Bolsover/A_Castle_Views_2003q.htm