Mystery Object

Bayleaf

Took this photo from Rutland Park just off Clarkehouse Rd. It stands in or on the edge of the grounds of the High School. We only noticed it from Clarkehouse Rd a few days ago though we pass by regularly, but a couple of trees have been recently cut down in front of it making it visible. You can get the scale from the cars parked just in front. Any ideas?

A chimney?

That was my first guess. It doesn't appear to be attached to a building, but perhaps it was demolished and this is all that's left? Some chimneystack though!

Guest Unitedite

A large ornate gas light ?

My thoughts were that it is perhaps a pedestal for some manner of memorial monument, possibly a statute, or similar.

Certainly looks very ornate.

Is it sat within some form of garden, or park?

Samuel Osborn, JP and Steel Manufacturer - Rutland Park, Clarkehouse Road and Grindleford ??

Are any maps of any use to use ?

Took this photo from Rutland Park just off Clarkehouse Rd. It stands in or on the edge of the grounds of the High School. We only noticed it from Clarkehouse Rd a few days ago though we pass by regularly, but a couple of trees have been recently cut down in front of it making it visible. You can get the scale from the cars parked just in front. Any ideas?

It seems in a funny position to be a chimney, the 1903 map doesn't show any buildings that close to the road. It obviously dates from the Victorian era and my guess is that it is either a lamp standard or a very ornate sewer ventilation shaft. These were thought necessary in those times to prevent "dreadful miasmas" from affecting the populace. They were usually sited near the head of sewers and some of the cast iron ones were very ornate. Later on special sewer gas lamps were used on public streets. These had a permanently lit coal-gas burner which was arranged to also burn any methane that came up from the sewer. The enlarged base of the lamp contained a flame trap to stop the lamp backfiring down into the sewer.

HD

My thoughts were that it is perhaps a pedestal for some manner of memorial monument, possibly a statute, or similar.

Certainly looks very ornate.

Is it sat within some form of garden, or park?

This is the location as far as I can judge.

Guest Danny

I pass by here every Thursday.

My wife used to go to High School, when is available I will ask her f she knows what it is, I have never seen it before either.

Dan

Guest Danny

This is the location as far as I can judge.

Are you saying the object is inside the black elipse??

If so, how the hell is that visible from the road? It looks well inside the school grounds from that picture

Are you saying the object is inside the black elipse??

If so, how the hell is that visible from the road? It looks well inside the school grounds from that picture

But the Google image is before the trees were cut down. From the 'camera' to the south by the gateway it's roughly where I took the photo, you're looking across the car park, and the object is immediately to the rear. But it's still not visible from further up the road because of other trees. If you look at Google street view it can't be seen.

Looks as if there's a door in the bottom of it.

Here's the view from Ash Grove. You'll need to "zoom" or "view larger map"

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=clarkehouse+road+sheffield&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=np&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Clarkehouse+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.374474,-1.496595&spn=0.009665,0.035877&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.374938,-1.49676&panoid=2P_WBl0EgGh3ubusiiwGJA&cbp=12,254.04,,0,-7.51&source=embed&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=clarkehouse+road+sheffield&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=np&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&hnear=Clarkehouse+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.374474,-1.496595&spn=0.009665,0.035877&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.374938,-1.49676&panoid=2P_WBl0EgGh3ubusiiwGJA&cbp=12,254.04,,0,-7.51&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Guest Danny

Ahhhh, I see now.

it is MASSIVE! didnt realise from that other picture. I doubt it was a gas lamp, it would have been way too high off the floor surely, to have been any good.

My wife says she has seen it before, many times actually when she was at school but never paid it any attention. She is also sure there is another in the grounds somewhere.

We are going to have a nosey round on Sunday and if we see another we will take some pictures.

Looks as if there's a door in the bottom of it.

Here's the view from Ash Grove. You'll need to "zoom" or "view larger map"

Now that the exact position has been highlighted and an idea of size given, I've had another look at the 1903 Godfrey Edition and discovered that the "thing" was adjacent to 3 very large "greenhouse" structures.

Perhaps the "thing" was a very large stove for heating the greenhouses. That would fit in with the "firing door" at the base.

HD

Postscript.

On the council database of listed buildings and structures is an entry for a "ornamental chimney" in the grounds of No.2 Rutland Park.

HD

Now that the exact position has been highlighted and an idea of size given, I've had another look at the 1903 Godfrey Edition and discovered that the "thing" was adjacent to 3 very large "greenhouse" structures.

Perhaps the "thing" was a very large stove for heating the greenhouses. That would fit in with the "firing door" at the base.

HD

Postscript.

On the council database of listed buildings and structures is an entry for a "ornamental chimney" in the grounds of No.2 Rutland Park.

HD

In 1890 it was in the grounds of Ash Grove House.

In 1890 it was in the grounds of Ash Grove House.

Number 2 Rutland Park was not built until after 1893,

Ash Grove House was there in 1890 and Moor Lodge House is shown on a 1853 map.

Flash Earth

Number 2 Rutland Park was not built until after 1893,

Ash Grove House was there in 1890 and Moor Lodge House is shown on a 1853 map.

Flash Earth

Just had a look on the English Heritage website, (Google Listed building PRN 027/635).

"Ornamental Chimney, now disused, part of the heating system for a range of greenhouses,now demolished, circa 1875" followed by description of construction.

HD

The listing gives Number 2 Rutland Park as a datum for it's position. It was obviously in the grounds of Ash Grove House.

HD

Just had a look on the English Heritage website, (Google Listed building PRN 027/635).

"Ornamental Chimney, now disused, part of the heating system for a range of greenhouses,now demolished, circa 1875" followed by description of construction.

HD

The listing gives Number 2 Rutland Park as a datum for it's position. It was obviously in the grounds of Ash Grove House.

HD

Cracked it then HD, well done !

HD

HD

Link .. www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk

Guest Danny

Brilliant. That little mystery didnt last long then.

Does anyone else find it fascinating that they decided they didnt need the green houses any more, for whatever reason that was, but they just left the chimney. And since, it hasnt 'got in the way' of anything else that any one has wanted to do in the area and it has just been left to look down on all the changes going on around it?

Or is that just me?

HD

HD

Excellent work; have several Greenhouse Points !