£1M House Where Frank Came To Dine

vox

I came across this whilst looking for info on Surmanco, where I worked for a while in the 60's

I remember the Sugdens coming to the factory now and then.

Sheffield Star

Published on Monday 14 October 2002 11:26

Ryecroft, an impressive detached house on Whirlow Park Road, Whirlow, has four bathrooms, five bedrooms – and five decades of fascinating tales to tell.

Glamorous royalty, international billionaires and legendary singing stars have all visited the property, which has just gone on sale for 1million.

The imposing house, which stands in 1.7 acres of beautifully landscaped wooded gardens, was home for more than 50 years to one of Sheffield's most notable businesswomen.

Inge Sugden, who died 18 months ago aged 80, made her fortune in cutlery and was the sole owner of Sheffield scissor-manufacturing firm, Surmanco.

Continue reading

This looks like it fits the bill. <iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=%2211,+whirlow+park+road%22+sheffield&aq=&sll=53.338202,-1.521928&sspn=0.00925,0.027702&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=11+Whirlow+Park+Rd,+Sheffield+S11+9,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.338337,-1.52052&panoid=rNcuRtSI8eVw1tYKNxip1g&cbp=13,94.2,,0,2.31&ll=53.33104,-1.517658&spn=0.016095,0.048237&z=14&output=svembed" frameborder="0" height="314" scrolling="no" width="562"></iframe>

<small>View Larger Map</small>

I came across this whilst looking for info on Surmanco, where I worked for a while in the 60's

I remember the Sugdens coming to the factory now and then.

Sheffield Star

Published on Monday 14 October 2002 11:26

Ryecroft, an impressive detached house on Whirlow Park Road, Whirlow, has four bathrooms, five bedrooms – and five decades of fascinating tales to tell.

Glamorous royalty, international billionaires and legendary singing stars have all visited the property, which has just gone on sale for 1million.

The imposing house, which stands in 1.7 acres of beautifully landscaped wooded gardens, was home for more than 50 years to one of Sheffield's most notable businesswomen.

Inge Sugden, who died 18 months ago aged 80, made her fortune in cutlery and was the sole owner of Sheffield scissor-manufacturing firm, Surmanco.

Continue reading

"Where Frank came to dine" and "legendary singing stars" <_<

Are we talking about "old Blue Eyes", "The Voice", the one and only Mr. Francis Albert Sinatra here? B)

Ive heard him sing "New York, New York" but never "Ryecroft, Rycroft" (so good they named it twice! lol )

..and I've heard him sing "Chicago" but never "Whirlow"

Or are we talking some other legendary singer called Frank?

Like that group from the 1980's with Holly Johnson called Frankie goes to Hollywood

I seem to remember we always referred to them locally as Frankie goes to Middlewood

Implying of course that Holly Johnson should be taken to a well known local mental institution! :o

"Where Frank came to dine" and "legendary singing stars" <_<

Are we talking about "old Blue Eyes", "The Voice", the one and only Mr. Francis Albert Sinatra here? B)

According to the full article, yes.

Did you not see the link ?

According to the full article, yes.

Did you not see the link ?

No I seem to have missed that bit vox.

As long as Frank didn't bring the Kennedy brothers and Marilyn Monroe with him, = that would be asking for trouble if anything should happen to Miss Monroe in suspicious circumstances. :oB)

Then again if he wants to bring the rest of the Rat Pack B)B)B) with him, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jnr. to a do where they can drink a lot of Jack Daniels and put on a great show at the same time then that would be fine. ;-)

Then again if he wants to bring the rest of the Rat Pack B)B)B) with him, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jnr. to a do where they can drink a lot of Jack Daniels and put on a great show at the same time then that would be fine. ;-)

My favourite Dean Martin quote is "If you can lie on the floor without holding on, you're not drunk"

And on The 'news' on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In (who remembers that?) there was an item that "Dean Martin's yacht has sunk off the coast of California. An alcohol slick is reported moving towards San Francisco."

I understand that the drinking was mostly an act. If so he did it very well!

My favourite Dean Martin quote is "If you can lie on the floor without holding on, you're not drunk"

And on The 'news' on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In (who remembers that?) there was an item that "Dean Martin's yacht has sunk off the coast of California. An alcohol slick is reported moving towards San Francisco."

I understand that the drinking was mostly an act. If so he did it very well!

As far as I can make out from various biographies of Dean Martin the "perpetual drunk" was very much an act and he was rarely drunk. He was very much a family man and had been know to leave celebrity parties, even Rat pack / Frank Sinatra ones, early so that he could go home to his family. In a TV biography, his daughter, Deana, actually says this about her father.