Iron, Steel, Cutlery And Silverware Records

Guest SheffieldArchives

Guest SheffieldArchives

Dear all

We've recently completed two major projects which bring together a definitive list of all the iron, steel, cutlery and silverware records held at Sheffield Archives and Local Studies Library:

Iron and steel company records - this list includes the extensive collection of trade catalogues at the World Metals Index (WMI) at Central Library: Iron and steel records

Cutlery and silverware records: Cutlery and silverware records

There is a downloadable PDF and Word file at the bottom of each webpage. We will revise these documents on an annual basis to ensure all incoming material is included.

I hope these summary lists prove useful.

Best wishes,

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives

Thanks Sheffield Archives, a great new list. One of the names is Harry Fisher and co., would I have to come to Sheffield to see this or can photocopies of certain things be ordered?

Thanks,

JP

Guest SheffieldArchives

Hi JP

We can arrange for you to see any documents on the list.

Usually you can just pop in to Sheffield Archives, register as a reader, and we'd order the items up for you within 30 minutes. However, during our temporary closure we are having to ask researchers to order documents in advance so that we can retrieve them from offsite storage. When they arrive you can then view them in the Local Studies Library. You can make copies thereafter (copyright permitting).

Sorry for this inconvenience - all being well we'll be back open again in the summer. If you want to look at the documents before then, drop us an email at: archives@sheffield.gov.uk and we'll get those ordered for you in the next few weeks, no problem. Alternatively, if you can't get over to Sheffield we can make photocopies of items - let us know your requirements.

All the best,

Cheryl

Latest information on our closure: Sheffield Archives temporary relocation

Hi JP

We can arrange for you to see any documents on the list.

Thanks that's great, just have to find a day when I can get over to Sheffield now!

JP

Which reminded me of an old book I had stashed in the junk in my workshop,

The Stock Exchange Official Year-Book for 1941, lists quite a few Sheffield firms, addresses- directors and worth.

Example

Sheffield Free Brewery Company Limited

Office - The Brewery, Queens Rd. Sheffield 2.

Telegrams ; Brewing Sheffield. Telephone 22698

Directors -C.A. Nicholson ( Chairman ), Thornton Dungworth ( Managing & Secretary ), H.C. Nicholson F.C.A, -Herbert Skelton.

Registered 23 Sep. 1911

Capital - Authorised and issued £50,000 in shares of 5s., fully paid

In August 1937 the capital was increased from £10,000 to £50,000 and the shares were subdivided from £1 to 5s. Quoted at Sheffield

Loan Capital -Directors can borrow up to the amount of the authorised capital.

Accounts to 30 Sept. submitted in Dec.

A capitalised bonus of 1,900% was paid in Aug. 1937 out of reserves ( absorbing £47,000 shares ) ;

Dividends ( % free of tax exept for 1931-2, 1936-7 and since ) -- for 1929-30 to 1935-6, 20 ; 1936-7 to1939-40,10.

Carried forward at 30 Sept, 1940 £2,701 ( after writing off £1,727 depreciation ) . Reserve fund £17,500.

Transfers -Common form ; fee 2s. 6d.

Boring innit lol

Guest SheffieldArchives

Boring innit lol

Hi Neddy - not at all!

To JP - look forward to seeing you in Sheffield some time. NB it's worth noting to anyone planning to come and look at original documents from the Archives, that we will be temporarily suspending document issue from mid-May to allow us to bring everything back to Shoreham Street ready for re-opening in summer. If you want to look at anything over the next few months, contact us: archives@sheffield.gov.uk or tel. 0114 203 9395 - we can advise you on document availability/ordering deadlines.

All the best,

Cheryl