B Company Home Guard Wadsley

wobble

My father worked in the steel works at Wardsend rolling mills during the war. He was not allowed to join the army due to his job being essential to the war effort. My dad never spoke much about the war years but we knew he joined in the home guard. My dad was called Harry Crapper and lived in the Hillsborough area. Whilst reading a book "Hillsborough and her people" i saw a photograph of B Company Home Guard taken on Wadsley Common and my dad is there. Does anyone have any information about B Company and does anyone know how i could find out about who the recruits were. If anyone has any info about either B Company or my father i would very grateful.

Guest skeets

My father worked in the steel works at Wardsend rolling mills during the war. He was not allowed to join the army due to his job being essential to the war effort. My dad never spoke much about the war years but we knew he joined in the home guard. My dad was called Harry Crapper and lived in the Hillsborough area. Whilst reading a book "Hillsborough and her people" i saw a photograph of B Company Home Guard taken on Wadsley Common and my dad is there. Does anyone have any information about B Company and does anyone know how i could find out about who the recruits were. If anyone has any info about either B Company or my father i would very grateful.

HI Wobble, there was a Harry Crapper worked as a foreman bricklayer for PWD In the late 70ties if that's any use, l was in the Home Guard too but at Norbury Hall Sorry Skeets

HI Wobble, there was a Harry Crapper worked as a foreman bricklayer for PWD In the late 70ties if that's any use, l was in the Home Guard too but at Norbury Hall Sorry Skeets

Thanks for the reply Skeets. My dad worked in the steel works until he had to finish with Angina. Where was Norbury Hall? would you have had any contact with the Home Guard from Wadsley.

Thanks for the reply Skeets. My dad worked in the steel works until he had to finish with Angina. Where was Norbury Hall? would you have had any contact with the Home Guard from Wadsley.

Norbury Hall is the TA centre behind the Sportsman on Barnsley Road, just above Norwood Road. Home to RAMC now I believe?

Norbury Hall is the TA centre behind the Sportsman on Barnsley Road, just above Norwood Road. Home to RAMC now I believe?

l

Thanks very much Bayleaf. I wonder if any body knows where any records of the Home Guard in Sheffield are kept. It would be great if i could find someone who was in the Home Guard maybe even someone who new my father. My dad was 22 years old when the war broke out in 1939. My mother told me that my father used to tell her when he went to the Home Guard after work that he had been guarding the Middlewood Tavern, Oh if only my wife was so gullable!!.

WOBBLE

I bet there are a few Wadsley boys on here though they could try spelling KOP correctly!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/59/a4218059.shtml

A few notes from Sheffield at War - a Star publication by Clive Hardy. A number of pages of fantastic photographs.

1. 14th May 1940 Sir Anthony Eden appealled for men between 17-65 form new force.

2. 1st volunteer in Sheffield appeared 4 minutes later at a police station.

3. Initially called "Local Defence Volunteers"

4. Under command of Colonel F.A. Neill the LDV was divided up conforming to Police divisional boundaries.

5. 23 July 1940 renamed the Home Guard.

6. Sheffield battalions with 3 from Roherham and 4 county battalions constituted the Hallamshire zone.

7 . Sheffiels Battalions numbered 64 to 69 (65 Battalion was largest with 3,195 officers and men.

8. April 1942 Neill was asked to form 2 antiaircraft units. Rising to 3 in November at Shirecliffe, Brincliffe and Manor.

9. In 1944 Sheffield men were sent to London at weekends to give relief to weary blitzed London HGs

10 1st October 1944 all operational manning by HG units ceased and 3 December officially stood down