Picture Sheffield Change?

Guest Danny

Guest Danny

None of the links in posts to PS pictures are working for me, much to my dismay!!!

Also, when accessing PS directly, the search function seems to have changed slightly since I last used it, and selecting a letter and then going to the drop down doesn't work.

Anyone else have these problems?

(I am at work, and we do use IE6, due to have it upgraded to IE8 tomorrow, could this be the problem?)

Dan

None of the links in posts to PS pictures are working for me, much to my dismay!!!

Also, when accessing PS directly, the search function seems to have changed slightly since I last used it, and selecting a letter and then going to the drop down doesn't work.

(I am at work, and we do use IE6, due to have it upgraded to IE8 tomorrow, could this be the problem?)

Dan

I've tried with IE7 and Firefox. Both seem OK to me.

I know there was (and still may be) a sort-out being done on their site, so your problem may be temporary.

Dan

I have IE6 on a computer which is still running Windows 98 because IE6 is the last version of IE which would work on this version of windows.

It gives exactly the same fault that you describe, with no drop down list of items for each letter, but it does work if you type a search item into the search box.

I also have IE8 installed and running with both Windows XP and Windows 7 and neither of these have any problems with PictureSheffield at all.

So it could well be IE6 that is causing the problem.

Although IE6 is the last version of IE to work on Windows 98 it is quite old now and like Windows 98 itself it is no longer supported by MicroSoft so if you are using anything more modern (XP, Vista, 7) you really should update IE.

IE6 also has other issues, it does not display Sheffield History pages correctly or as neatly and some sites with a high demand on browser resources (eg YouTube) actually report that you are using an old browser and switch into a "simplified" mode and inform you that some features may not work.

If you are updating to IE8 in the next day or two it is worth noting that IE9 has just become available in the last few weeks.

I have IE6 on a computer which is still running Windows 98 because IE6 is the last version of IE which would work on this version of windows.

It gives exactly the same fault that you describe, with no drop down list of items for each letter, but it does work if you type a search item into the search box.

I also have IE8 installed and running with both Windows XP and Windows 7 and neither of these have any problems with PictureSheffield at all.

So it could well be IE6 that is causing the problem.

Although IE6 is the last version of IE to work on Windows 98 it is quite old now and like Windows 98 itself it is no longer supported by MicroSoft so if you are using anything more modern (XP, Vista, 7) you really should update IE.

IE6 also has other issues, it does not display Sheffield History pages correctly or as neatly and some sites with a high demand on browser resources (eg YouTube) actually report that you are using an old browser and switch into a "simplified" mode and inform you that some features may not work.

If you are updating to IE8 in the next day or two it is worth noting that IE9 has just become available in the last few weeks.

There does seem to be an issue with links from SheffieldHistory to PictureSheffield at the moment, we are investigating this problem, hopefully it will be short lived

I can get the menu on picturesheffield to work fine. Although the descriptions of the pictures appear, the images themselves do not, regardless of browser.

Just tried again and the interface has been changed, maybe that's what's been causing the problem. All seems fine now.

There does seem to be an issue with links from SheffieldHistory to PictureSheffield at the moment, we are investigating this problem, hopefully it will be short lived

But the issue with the drop down menus on the search page of picturesheffield does seem to be a specific issue with IE6

Just to keep our members in the picture of what is happening .. :)

It is not only our site that is experiencing problems with the links to picturesheffield,

similar problems are also occurring on other forums and web sites.

So these problems are not solely related to SheffieldHistory.

Just to keep our members in the picture of what is happening .. :)

It is not only our site that is experiencing problems with the links to picturesheffield,

similar problems are also occurring on other forums and web sites.

So these problems are not solely related to SheffieldHistory.

We and other, well-behaved sites, must contribute a lot to PictureSheffields hits ... sure we've put in enough effort to keeping within the rules.

Thank you for the update Steve.

Interesting things happening at PictureSheffield. The old link (http://www.picturesheffield.com/database_search.php) gives me the search but no pictures. The new link is (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php).

The whole search has been redesigned and the old links to pictures will no longer work.

(http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18775) becomes (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^|%20+)s18775($|%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUNhbWJyaWRnZV9BcmNhZGUlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=)

Quite a difference. I think the link fairy might run away this time :blink:

Just been on PS and it seems ok? (Using Firefox 3.6.15)

Not only is there a new IE9 to replace IE8, there is also a FireFox 4 now which is the latest, but very different looking, version of FireFox to replace version 3.6.

Both IE9 amd FF4 seem to have the very uncluttered screen top appearance of Google Chrome.

I have alreadt updated, this week, to FF4 but I am sticking with IE8 for the time being as I don't find the IE9 interface quite as attractive.

Interesting things happening at PictureSheffield. The old link (http://www.picturesheffield.com/database_search.php) gives me the search but no pictures. The new link is (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php).

The whole search has been redesigned and the old links to pictures will no longer work.

(http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18775) becomes (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^|%20+)s18775($|%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUNhbWJyaWRnZV9BcmNhZGUlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=)

I am the Iron Fairy and I do not back down Oldbloke .. lol

Here are the four links in your post ..

picturesheffield

picturesheffield 02

picturesheffield 03

picturesheffield 04

I'm confused about the links,

but can anyone tell me what an Iron Fairy is/was ?

I am the Iron Fairy and I do not back down Oldbloke .. lol

but can anyone tell me what an Iron Fairy is/was ?

I'm so tempted to say "the mother-in-law", but I shall refrain and instead say a small mobile crane, very handy to have around when moving milling machines and lathes, used to hire them from Petre Street in the 70's, Curtis Power I think. .

I'm so tempted to say "the mother-in-law", but I shall refrain and instead say a small mobile crane, very handy to have around when moving milling machines and lathes, used to hire them from Petre Street in the 70's, Curtis Power I think. .

Spot on Oldbloke,

didn't the Iron Fairy come in a range of sizes,

starting at something like .. 2 ton ?

The one in the photo is an 18 ton.

Advert from the 1965 directory.

Not sure on the range, but they certainly did have a fairy for every occasion. My Dad worked for James D Gibson which was on Petre Street next to Rington's Tea, until the Rolls Royce crash in 1971(?).

Any idea of what James D Gibson did before he went into machine tool manufacturing?

This Link Fairie is not to be Defeated.

This Link Fairie has decided to await the outcome of the investigation, then, if necessary to start again and re-do everything ... not willing to be defeated; it happened before, it may happen again; still not going to give up. It's just a bunch of links.

Now stubborn and stupid are appropriate at this point - but ... as stated before "We shall Fight".

-----------------------------------

Notice how that quickly changed from "I"-type words to "We" ? he he

There seems to be a problem with Picture Sheffield at the moment. All I'm seeing is boxes with red crosses in :huh:

Has the computer gone on strike for a greater pension ;-) he he

There seems to be a problem with Picture Sheffield at the moment. All I'm seeing is boxes with red crosses in

Has the computer gone on strike for a greater pension he he

Just tried it, seems OK now. Looking at the time of your post, perhaps it was down for maintenance or some such overnight?

Just tried it, seems OK now. Looking at the time of your post, perhaps it was down for maintenance or some such overnight?

It seams a great deal of the pictures are out of action. Only one of the 4 links (above) shows an image, plus have tried 3 times (at different times of day) to look at the "Manor" images and they are all box with X

Have just tried Woodthorpe and 38 boxes with X. :blink:

It seams a great deal of the pictures are out of action. Only one of the 4 links (above) shows an image, plus have tried 3 times (at different times of day) to look at the "Manor" images and they are all box with X

Have just tried Woodthorpe and 38 boxes with X.

The 4 links are a demo of the change. The first is the old address which doesn't give an image with no3 being an example. The second is the new front-end link, with no 4 an example. But I've just done searches on Manor and Woodthorpe using the picturesheffield02 link and all displayed properly, though very slow response times.

:blink: Makes sense now ;-) I'm longing on to some old website that all the pictures have been removed from! It works but not as we know it Jim he he

Now had a good rummage on there. There is a problem with it though. Whenever you got more than 3 pages of pictures, when you try and select the next key it jumps around like a loony! So to get round this put the page number in the box and hit return.

Also if you now save the Zoom image you can only save it as a bitmap file. Whereas they used to be JPEG, infact Archives were nuts about that format so I don't know why they changed it?

Sorry guys but have to say that it's a change for the worse, with a harder to use and slower system than before. Lets' hope that the reason for this was a cheaper design or cost saving move, because if Sheffield Archives spent more on this change they were robbed :rolleyes:

Sorry guys but have to say that it's a change for the worse

As I get older it seems that many changes that take place are changes for the worse.

Especially in computers, someone who thinks they know best makes a change to suit themselves and messes things up for everyone else :angry: !

They changed the language used for the search from Perl to PHP, though the database itself appears to be unchanged. I have no idea why the search is so slow or clunky. My best guess is that the person who wrote the PHP hadn't got much idea what they were doing. If the workings of the front end "next" button is an example of the really easy stuff, what the heck does the rest of the code do? Back to the drawing board Sheffield Libraries (Though last time I went in they no longer had any decent "teach yourself PHP and MySQL" books on the shelves lol ).