Sheffield Photograph - Help Neded

Guest 4star

Guest 4star

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but feel sure I'll get some help.

Could anyone shed any light on this photograph, please?

The people are Edwin James Reynolds and his wife Rose, along with the mayor (?), or some organisations main man.

It was taken in Sheffield during the 1960s, we think.

The grandson seems to think that it was some presentation ceremony.

Hope I have attached the photograph correctly.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but feel sure I'll get some help.

Could anyone shed any light on this photograph, please?

The people are Edwin James Reynolds and his wife Rose, along with the mayor (?), or some organisations main man.

The grandson seems to think that it was some presentation ceremony.

Hope I have attached the photograph correctly.

Hello 4Star and welcome to SheffieldHistory - great first post as members here love a photo mystery!

As a starter here is a link to a photo of the Lord Mayor's chain which is clearly different in design so we can rule that one out.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/lord-mayor/lord-mayors-chain

I have seen one or two freemasons who dress and wear tie like that or it could be a friendly society? Anyone any clues on the location - looks like ballroom with a balcony.

Hello 4Star and welcome to SheffieldHistory - great first post as members here love a photo mystery!

As a starter here is a link to a photo of the Lord Mayor's chain which is clearly different in design so we can rule that one out.

http://www.sheffield...rd-mayors-chain

I have seen one or two freemasons who dress and wear tie like that or it could be a friendly society? Anyone any clues on the location - looks like ballroom with a balcony.

Probably not Freemasons!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1390713/Masons-end-their-black-tie-affair.html

Any idea of Edwin's age/year of birth please ? or a Trade ?

Guest 4star

Any idea of Edwin's age/year of birth please ? or a Trade ?

Firstly,thanks for all the replies.

Edwin's birth year was 1888. I have talked more with his grandson and we may have a possibility. He thinks they may have been members of the RAOB society in Sheffield. This event could have been when they were moving from Sheffield to Lincolnshire around 1963. This is only a thought of another path to follow. Perhaps the main person in that would wear some kind of insignia.

Firstly,thanks for all the replies.

Edwin's birth year was 1888. I have talked more with his grandson and we may have a possibility. He thinks they may have been members of the RAOB society in Sheffield. This event could have been when they were moving from Sheffield to Lincolnshire around 1963. This is only a thought of another path to follow. Perhaps the main person in that would wear some kind of insignia.

The RAOB (Royal Association of the Order of the Buffallo) or the "buffs" work in "lodges" which are frequently private meeting rooms in for example, public houses (I think the Punch Bowl on Gleadless Common is an RAOB lodge).

Could the picture be taken in an RAOB lodge?

The buffs are a bit like the masons, a bit secretive and elusive but they seem to do a fair bit of charity fundraising work.

Could this presentation be some sort of charity presentation?

The RAOB (Royal Association of the Order of the Buffallo) or the "buffs" work in "lodges" which are frequently private meeting rooms in for example, public houses (I think the Punch Bowl on Gleadless Common is an RAOB lodge).

Could the picture be taken in an RAOB lodge?

The buffs are a bit like the masons, a bit secretive and elusive but they seem to do a fair bit of charity fundraising work.

Could this presentation be some sort of charity presentation?

Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalo ...

Wiki

Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalo ...

OK, it could be that.

I did say they were a bit secretive and ellusive B)

OK, it could be that.

I did say they were a bit secretive and ellusive B)

Hang on a bit, I'm not that bad at English.

Antediluvian literally means "before the flood" and is usually used to indicate a time period BEFORE the old testament biblical flood of Noah's Ark fame.

So how long has this RAOB organisation been going exactly? :unsure:

Or is that a secretive and illusive bit of information as well? B)

Antediluvian literally means "before the flood" and is usually used to indicate a time period BEFORE the old testament biblical flood of Noah's Ark fame.

It does mean that, but 16th Century probably ...

Hi

It looks like it is in somewhere like the Lyceum??

I agree glenys,

that could be a stage in the L/H of the photo,

and spotlights are clearly visible towards the top of the photo.

Looks to be some sort of theatre, dance hall or club room.

Note the vertical rails at the top of the photograph,

could they be supports for a veranda/second floor viewing area.

Read more Shakespeare ... :P

I can't make any great claims about the following information, but, it could be a lead to something or other :

Edwin J Reynolds, 260 Earl Marshall Road, S4 (Kelly's 1957)

----------

No I can't place Earl Marshall Road ... or indeed S4 !

I can't make any great claims about the following information, but, it could be a lead to something or other :

Edwin J Reynolds, 260 Earl Marshall Road, S4 (Kelly's 1957)

----------

No I can't place Earl Marshall Road ... or indeed S4 !

260 Earl Marshal Road

1950's OS

Looks like a fair sized semi.

Guest 4star

The one with the hedge in the foreground.

image courtesy of Google

My post re. RAOB appears to have gien a number of you some enjoyment.

RichardB - Yes, that is Edwin's address. I had that already.

SteveHB - Thanks for the image of the house.

I have sent a message to the RAOB ( I did, incidentally, know what that stood for ) and am awaiting, hopefully, a reply.

It doesn't look like an R.A.O.B. collar, plus there is no other regalia on display, which is very unusual for any Buffs do.

No ladies are allowed in a lodge either (Though there is a ladies section called "The Glades").

(I've been a member of the Buffs for 30 years)

There are very few lodges left these days, Grove House at Harrogate has a museum, writing to the Grand Secretary there may get results, if the gent in question was ever a member.

I tried to find out if my grandfather was a member, they couldn't help me.

Guest 4star

Thanks for that info. I only mentioned the RAOB because his grandson said he had heard him talk about it and thought he was a member.

It must surely be some organisation otherwise why would there be a man wearing a chain of office. I feel sure it must be something to do with them leaving Sheffield to move to Lincolnshire.

No ladies are allowed in a lodge either (Though there is a ladies section called "The Glades").

I think my grandmother must have been a member of this as she seemed to know quite a lot about the buffs.

There are very few lodges left these days,

If they are still a very active society where do they hold their meeting these days?

Or are there just a lot fewer members than there used to be?

I tried to find out if my grandfather was a member, they couldn't help me.

Not that does sound a bit ellusive and secretive doesn't it? <_<B)

Could they help you once you became a fully paid up member of the RAOB but they just don't want to pass personal details on to non members?

Or was it that they just genuinely couldn't help?

Not that does sound a bit ellusive and secretive doesn't it? <_<B)

Could they help you once you became a fully paid up member of the RAOB but they just don't want to pass personal details on to non members?

Or was it that they just genuinely couldn't help?

I've been "a fully paid up member" for 30 years, my father and great-grandfather too and I think my grandad, but I couldn't confirm it.

There are very few lodges left in Sheffield, but there are many buffs who no longer attend. Here's the website

There's nothing particularly secret about the buffs if you want to find out, just ask. The only "secrets" we keep to ourselves are "signs & passwords", much like the masons I suppose.

The records for many Sheffield lodges have been lost or destroyed over the years, they just genuinely couldn't help. At the time I tried to find out, I was the secretary a lodge in Sheffield.

I don't think there would be any major problem with telling a relative if a person was a member.

I have a lodge directory from 1930, at which time there were some 91 lodges in Sheffield alone. These lodges consisted of ordinary working men. My Great Grandfather joined in 1917, was raised to Primo in 1918 and Knight Order of Merit in 1931. I have his KOM Jewel (medal) which is solid gold , presented by the Carlisle Lodge, which we assume was held in the Carlisle Street area, but can find no records.

Hope this helps.