Edge Tool Grinders In Sheffield

Guest Unitedite

Guest Unitedite

I have attached herewith, a rather degraded photograph of my late Grand Father, Bertin Jordan [21-01-1884 - 05-02-1934].

I could just as easily up-loaded this particular photograph onto the Genealogy Section of Sheffield History, but I believe that it has a wider historical relevance than just the one of my family history.

A number of copies of this photograph exist around my family [bertin had at least 10 children, 7 of whom survived into recent times] which is generally believed by many in the family to have been taken and published by one of the local newspapers, sometime during the period 1910 to 1930.

It is also believed that this photograph and the accompanying newspaper article recorded the fortunate survival of Bertin Jordan, when the large grindstone featured in the photograph fractured whilst revolving at high speed.

Bertin Jordan [like his father and his grandfather] was an Edge Tool Grinder, an occupation that required the grindstone operator to sit astride the rapidly revolving wheel. We believe that Bertin had premises astride the River Sheaf somewhere near the bottom of Pond Hill.

It is also believed that the ragged clothing portrayed is typical of the "personal protective work-wear" worn by operators at that time.

As most of you will be aware, respiratory diseases were also commonplace amongst grindstone operators as few dust suppression, or dust filtration devices were available at this time. Bertin Jordan died at the comparatively young age of 50 years of Pulmonary Tuberculosis and of Silicosis.

Although we do have the photograph, I am sorry to say that various trips made by various family members to the Central Library, [including myself], have never actually turned up the actual newspaper article that we believe to have accompanied it.

I have therefore up-loaded the photograph for two reasons.

Firstly, it’s obvious historical relevance and secondly, in the hope that someone else might have accidentally stumbled across the missing newspaper article during their own researches and that having done so, might be kind enough to point us in the right direction.

Bertin Jordan [21-01-1884 - 05-02-1934].

Great post and picture.

FYI, 1901 Census; parents Walter and Florence E., brothers and sisters

Living next to The Palm Pub then.

Marriage Oct-Dec 1906, wife either Annie Addy or Martha Elizabeth Dannatt (unable to tell which).

Not an answer to the question, but, just for the record.

Guest Unitedite

Marriage Oct-Dec 1906, wife either Annie Addy or Martha Elizabeth Dannatt (unable to tell which).

Not an answer to the question, but, just for the record.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your kind interest.

For the record, Bertin Jordan, married Martha Elizabeth Dannatt at Sheffield Registry Office, on 11/11/1906.

Martha Elizabeth Dannatt was born 24/11/1887 at Occupation Lane, Hackenthorpe, [then Derbyshire].

She outlived her husband by some years and passed away, 11/08/1958 at 96 Woodland Street, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Kindest regards;

N

For the record, Bertin Jordan, married Martha Elizabeth Dannatt at Sheffield Registry Office, on 11/11/1906.

Martha Elizabeth Dannatt was born 24/11/1887 at Occupation Lane, Hackenthorpe, [then Derbyshire].

Martha, 1891, 6 Coalbrook Crescent, Handsworth with parents Thomas J and Mary H and assorted Dannattettes

(All heading firmly away from your original request !)

hi i know this is a old post ,but it was so lovely to see as bertin jordan was also my great grandfather and have never seen a photo .of him or his wife martha. my grandad was there son also named bertin .

hi i know this is a old post ,but it was so lovely to see as bertin jordan was also my great grandfather and have never seen a photo .of him or his wife martha. my grandad was there son also named bertin .

Who wouldn't perchance, be the Bertin Jordan, born in 1909, who married Ethel Sutton in 1930, and who passed away, in 1979?

They're my nan and grandad when grandad was alive he used to take me to see all his brothers now sadly they have all passed away. Uncle irwin (walter) always lived with my nan and grandad so he was like a second grandad. Can i ask who your grandad and dad /mother are ? I am doind a family tree and would love to know more .

Hi,

My father was John, son of Bertin and Martha Elizabeth [nee Dannatt], which I think, makes us cousins. My father being your father's younger brother.

We should certainly swop notes, but perhaps not on open forum and I would be hesitant for either of us to post our contact details on here, for the self same reasons.

Hopefully, one of the more seasoned veterans on this site will respond and tell us how?

How far have you got back with your research? If you have got back beyond Richard [1772 to 1840], then I really do want to talk to you some more.

Hi I would love to swop notes .So lovely to find someone from our large family . I to have only got to richard in the jordans married to ann kirk . I have got back to 1600 with the dannatt . so my grandad bertin son of bertin and martha was your dads johns brother? my mother is dorothy daughter of bertin 1909 and ethel .

Guest broncolives

How funny it is my family came from Birmingham and were edge tool makers. they came here around 1884 and my great grandfather John Drew lived at the rear of 133 Burnaby st and his grand son lived in Burnaby st followed by Freedom St which was adjacent to Burnaby and where I lived until 1970.

I have attached herewith, a rather degraded photograph of my late Grand Father, Bertin Jordan [21-01-1884 - 05-02-1934].

I could just as easily up-loaded this particular photograph onto the Genealogy Section of Sheffield History, but I believe that it has a wider historical relevance than just the one of my family history.

A number of copies of this photograph exist around my family [bertin had at least 10 children, 7 of whom survived into recent times] which is generally believed by many in the family to have been taken and published by one of the local newspapers, sometime during the period 1910 to 1930.

It is also believed that this photograph and the accompanying newspaper article recorded the fortunate survival of Bertin Jordan, when the large grindstone featured in the photograph fractured whilst revolving at high speed.

Bertin Jordan [like his father and his grandfather] was an Edge Tool Grinder, an occupation that required the grindstone operator to sit astride the rapidly revolving wheel. We believe that Bertin had premises astride the River Sheaf somewhere near the bottom of Pond Hill.

It is also believed that the ragged clothing portrayed is typical of the "personal protective work-wear" worn by operators at that time.

As most of you will be aware, respiratory diseases were also commonplace amongst grindstone operators as few dust suppression, or dust filtration devices were available at this time. Bertin Jordan died at the comparatively young age of 50 years of Pulmonary Tuberculosis and of Silicosis.

Although we do have the photograph, I am sorry to say that various trips made by various family members to the Central Library, [including myself], have never actually turned up the actual newspaper article that we believe to have accompanied it.

I have therefore up-loaded the photograph for two reasons.

Firstly, it’s obvious historical relevance and secondly, in the hope that someone else might have accidentally stumbled across the missing newspaper article during their own researches and that having done so, might be kind enough to point us in the right direction.

post-8100-019905300%201301475370_thumb.j

​They were still using grindstones like this in the 1970's. The grinder sat astride a big wooden iron bound block, it used to be called "Riding the horse". By that time the grindstones were no longer natural stone and manufactured and therefore did not have undetected flaws . The stones were also whetted so the particles given off went on to a large vertical board at the back of the stone rather than into the atmosphere. I do remember that one of the fitters at Laycock engineering had a much smaller new stone break up on him after he had fitted it and when he was running it up for the first time. He got quite a few big cuts and bruises on his face. After that the policy was do not stand in front of a grinder after fitting a new grindstone.