Gambia Marked Shears

Guest kneelhurst

Guest kneelhurst

Hello All

Im trying to track down some information on a company based in Sheffield in the 18th Century located on Pea Croft. In 1787 Abraham Greaves was a shear maker marking them "Gambia." In the 1823 directory a George Greaves is said to have been using that mark. I was wondering if anyone has any information on this firm....thanks!! Attached below are 3 pairs of GAMBIA marked shears in my collection

Neal Hurst

Hello All

Im trying to track down some information on a company based in Sheffield in the 18th Century located on Pea Croft. In 1787 Abraham Greaves was a shear maker marking them "Gambia." In the 1823 directory a George Greaves is said to have been using that mark. I was wondering if anyone has any information on this firm....thanks!! Attached below are 3 pairs of GAMBIA marked shears in my collection

Neal Hurst

Hello Kneelhurst and Welcome to the Site.

A little information to add to your excellent post and picture :

Abraham Greaves, Shearsmith, Pea Croft (Gales and Martin 1787 - as you stated)

Greaves & Son, Shearsmiths (Universal British Directory 1791)

George Greaves, Shearsmith, 89 Pea-croft (Robinson's 1797)

A. Greaves, Shearsmith, Peacroft (Holden's 1811)

George Greaves, Shear Manufacturer, 93 Peacroft (Baine's 1822)

George Greaves, Manufacturer of garden, tailor, tinman and brush shears (mark "Gambia"), 54 Scotland Street (Gells 1825)

George Greaves, Shear & Makers (tinmen's, tailor's & Stocks), 54 Scotland Street (Pigot's 1828-9)

George Greaves, Shear Manufacturer (mark "Gambia"), 19 Bailey Street (White's 1833)

George Greaves, Bailey Street, Shear &c. Makers (1834)

also, for consideration only Jacob Greaves, Shear maker, h. Watery Street (White's 1833)

Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

I had deliberately excluded Isaac Greaves ... but this came up

Isaac Greaves "Gambia" (n.d.)

Isaac Greaves, Bailey Street, Edge Tool Makers - see previous posts for Bailey Street ... (1834)

George Greaves, Bailey Street, Shear &c. Makers (1834)