Edward Street Sheffield

Guest helene hanff

Guest helene hanff

Hi

My 3 * gt gd Uncle lived at 146 Edward Street Sheffield for over 30 years which believe me in my family that is quite a long time. I have found Edward street on your map for the 1900's and wondered where he might have worked he was an edge tool hardener.

Also his daughter Ann marries George Hodkin in 1871 they are shown as living at New Edward Street is this near Edward Street, then in 1881 and 1891 they live at 147 New Edward Street, I can't spot New Edward street any where.

Probably a question for another board but George was a sheep sheer bender where would he have worked and what does a sheep shear bender do?

Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thanks

Helene

Hi Helene

Edward Street is pretty central, and he could have worked at any of a large number of tool makers I'm afraid.

As for George, I wonder if he worked for Burgon & Ball? They have been toolmakers in Sheffield since 1730, and one of the things for which they are famous are sheep shears.They are made to a pattern which can be traced back to very early times, in fact there's a pair on display at Flag Fen in Cambridgeshire which are identical and date from the Iron Age. They are exported all over the world. You'll see from this picture that they are bent in the middle, so this is what George would have been making.

(Although they're mostly sold for topiary work these days, they are still the original sheep shears)

Guest helene hanff

Hi

My 3 * gt gd Uncle lived at 146 Edward Street Sheffield for over 30 years which believe me in my family that is quite a long time. I have found Edward street on your map for the 1900's and wondered where he might have worked he was an edge tool hardener.

Also his daughter Ann marries George Hodkin in 1871 they are shown as living at New Edward Street is this near Edward Street, then in 1881 and 1891 they live at 147 New Edward Street, I can't spot New Edward street any where.

Probably a question for another board but George was a sheep sheer bender where would he have worked and what does a sheep shear bender do?

Hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Thanks

Helene

Hi

Thanks a milion for that I've seen the shears but not realised that's what they were. It's amazing to think there is a tool that has not changed that much since the iron age.

Are Edward Street and new Edward Street one and the same so does that mean that George and Ann lived next door to her father Robert Nicholson

thanks

helene

Hi

Thanks a milion for that I've seen the shears but not realised that's what they were. It's amazing to think there is a tool that has not changed that much since the iron age.

Are Edward Street and new Edward Street one and the same so does that mean that George and Ann lived next door to her father Robert Nicholson

thanks

helene

I believe they are one and the same place - though it is odd to see it still called "New" Edward Street when it is recorded as just Edward Street as far back as 1822.

Not much in Trade Directories that I could find :

Rodgers or Pigots 1841

John Hall and Sons Manufacturers of Spring And Table Knives 119 New Edward Street

Jas Hallam Spring Knife Manufacturer 162 New Edward Street, House Thomas Street

Jonathan Jenkinson Scale & Spring Maker 130 New Edward Street

John Kenyon Grocer & saw maker 155 New Edward Street

William Pashley Button mould maker 87 New Edward Street

My Williamson Gent 13 New Edward Street

Sellers 1846

White's 1849

Thomas Smith Springknife Manufacturer Court, 98 Trafalgar Strret; h. New Edward Street

White's 1852

James Brown Scissor manufacturer Jericho; h.Court 15 New Edward Street

Compared with hundreds for Edward Street.

Anyone got any more for New Edward Street please ?

Guest helene hanff

I believe they are one and the same place - though it is odd to see it still called "New" Edward Street when it is recorded as just Edward Street as far back as 1822.

Not much in Trade Directories that I could find :

Rodgers or Pigots 1841

John Hall and Sons Manufacturers of Spring And Table Knives 119 New Edward Street

Jas Hallam Spring Knife Manufacturer 162 New Edward Street, House Thomas Street

Jonathan Jenkinson Scale & Spring Maker 130 New Edward Street

John Kenyon Grocer & saw maker 155 New Edward Street

My Williamson Gent 13 New Edward Street

Sellers 1846

White's 1849

Thomas Smith Springknife Manufacturer Court, 98 Trafalgar Strret; h. New Edward Street

White's 1852

James Brown Scissor manufacturer Jericho; h.Court 15 New Edward Street

Compared with hundreds for Edward Street.

Anyone got any more for New Edward Street please ?

Thank you very much for all your help. It is strange when you look at the census and see some mention New Edward Street whereas others do say Edward street was it the enumerator who gave it the New.

thanks

Helene

Thank you very much for all your help. It is strange when you look at the census and see some mention New Edward Street whereas others do say Edward street was it the enumerator who gave it the New.

thanks

Helene

I think it would be the residents or the enumerator. To do this justice we need some map input and further work on the Edward Street residents - I'm away on business for a couple of days so the answers may not be rapid, but, the evolution of New Edward Street into Edward Street (if that is what happened) is interesting enough.

Hi

Can you share your 3 * Gt Gd Uncles name ? Over 30 years we should be able to find out more about him (possibly).

In my brief look I couldn't find George and Ann in 1871.

Looking on an 1894 map.

Edward Street is named from Meadow Street to Kenyon Street.

New Edward Street is named from Kenyon Street to Beet Street.

Guest helene hanff

Can you share your 3 * Gt Gd Uncles name ? Over 30 years we should be able to find out more about him (possibly).

In my brief look I couldn't find George and Ann in 1871.

I looked at the address results at Find my past and found that it seems as if the enumerator can't quite make his mind up as New Edward Street seems to go from having 13 to 102 results!! all quite strange

In 1841 there are 30 results for New Edward street schedule 537 to 585 and for Edward Street there are 144 results with different schedules.

in 1851 there are 153 results for Edward Street because there are various courts mentioned again various schedules, 13 results for New Edward Street

1861 Edward Street Brightside Bierlow 2 results, Nether Hallam 3 results and Sheffield 168 results with New Edward Street Brightside Bierlow 30 results

1871 Edward Street Brightside Bierlow 10 results, Nether Hallam 77 and Sheffield 45 results New Edward Street 102 results for Sheffield

1881 Edward Street Sheffield 124 results and New Edward Street Sheffield 75 results

1891 Edward Street Sheffield 172 results and New Edward Street Sheffield has 85 results

1901 Edward Street Sheffield 225 results and New Edward Street Sheffield has no results

1911 Edward Street Sheffield 212 results and New Edward Street Sheffield has no results

My relatives are Robert Nicholson b1805 he lived in 146 Edward Street in 1851, 1861 and 1871 he is at New Edward Street , His daughter marries George Hodkin and in 1871 they are living in New Edward Street with Robert , then 1881 and 1891 they are shown as living at 147 NEW Edward Street

Thanks

Helene

Just a thought - when were Edward Street flats built. (and were they always just called Edward Street Flats)

I think they occupy what was New Edward Street according to where Steve's map put it.

Could that be part of the confusion.

Just a thought - when were Edward Street flats built. (and were they always just called Edward Street Flats)

I think they occupy what was New Edward Street according to where Steve's map put it.

Edward Street flats appear on a 1953 map,

a 1938 map shows some house clearance in the western area of Edward Street.

What is confusing is that,

Edward Street is named on 1853 and 1855 maps,

then in 1890 New Edward Street appears as it does in post # 08,

with two 1894 maps showing New Edward Street and Edward Street,

then by 1903 the whole Street is back to one name 'Edward Street'.

Joseph Ryalls, late of Solly Street, previously of Old Edward Street, also of Spring-croft and formerly of Pea-croft; Scissors grinder.

The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors

Court House, 7th February 1842, at Ten o'Clock in the forenoon precisely.

Trust you to come along and make it even more complicated.

It raised a smile at this end !

and for my next trick "Smelling slightly of urine and old socks Edward Street" ... probably.

Trust you to come along and make it even more complicated.

Updated Personal Mission Statement

To maintain SH as Free, Polite and Helpful.

To locate appropriate data and make it available, free of charge to all.

(Enough of the sensible stuff)

To chuck a spanner in the works whenever possible he he

What is confusing is that,

Edward Street is named on 1853 and 1855 maps,

then in 1890 New Edward Street appears as it does in post # 08,

with two 1894 maps showing New Edwardof Street and Edward Street,

then by 1903 the whole Street is back to one name 'Edward Street'.

Just a thought,

I wonder if the Coronation of Edward VII in 1902 could have had something to do with the name change?

When I lived on Edward Street flats many years ago , I was told the top half of flats , Solly street end was

built before the second world war and was put on hold when the war broke out.

After the war the bottom part of the circle of flats, Beet Street/ Upper Allen Street were built.

I lived at this side was were slightly more modern than the upper part.

Looking out through the window

When I lived on Edward Street flats many years ago , I was told the top half of flats , Solly street end was

built before the second world war and was put on hold when the war broke out.

After the war the bottom part of the circle of flats, Beet Street/ Upper Allen Street were built.

I lived at this side was were slightly more modern than the upper part.

Looking out through the window

UKL,

that could put an explanatioin to this then ..

I refer to your enquiry concerning Robert Nicholson. Robert is my Gt Gt Grandfather and Robert his son my Gt Grandfather - you state that Robert Snr was your 3xGt Uncle and I should be pleased if you would let me know the name of your 3XGt Grandfather which would assist me in confirming the parents of Robert and perhaps the information I have on Robert and his family might be of assistance to you

Hi Helene

Edward Street is pretty central, and he could have worked at any of a large number of tool makers I'm afraid.

As for George, I wonder if he worked for Burgon & Ball? They have been toolmakers in Sheffield since 1730, and one of the things for which they are famous are sheep shears.They are made to a pattern which can be traced back to very early times, in fact there's a pair on display at Flag Fen in Cambridgeshire which are identical and date from the Iron Age. They are exported all over the world. You'll see from this picture that they are bent in the middle, so this is what George would have been making.

(Although they're mostly sold for topiary work these days, they are still the original sheep shears)

Just found a photo of the Flag Fen shears and their wooden case. Compared with the ones above they're almost identical in design, despite the intervening 3,000 or so years. Clearly a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'!

Hi Helene

I havn't abandoned our research exercise but I have been busy with other committments I must finish- I have more or less sorted all the info into some semblance of order and I will be asking my friend for certain detail from several certificates (which may take some time to answer)

On looking back at the initial responses to your enquiry, I can't believe the replies you got over the name of Edward/New Edward St - New Edward St was the new housing built when the existing road was extended.Nothing more complicated than that.and it certainly wasn't a new road.

Regards

Hi Helene

I havn't abandoned our research exercise but I have been busy with other committments I must finish- I have more or less sorted all the info into some semblance of order and I will be asking my friend for certain detail from several certificates (which may take some time to answer)

On looking back at the initial responses to your enquiry, I can't believe the replies you got over the name of Edward/New Edward St - New Edward St was the new housing built when the existing road was extended.Nothing more complicated than that.and it certainly wasn't a new road.

Regards

Any ideas as to what year the the existing road (Edward Street) was extended please.

Guest plain talker

Just found a photo of the Flag Fen shears and their wooden case. Compared with the ones above they're almost identical in design, despite the intervening 3,000 or so years. Clearly a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'!

I have a pair of "needlework- snips" which look almost identical to these shears. (I imagine at only three inches long, that my snips will be smaller tthan these)

Architects drawings for the Edward Street Flats. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u10195&pos=35&action=zoom&id=71399

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u10200&pos=36&action=zoom&id=71403

"Edward Street Flats are a complex of Early social housing located in the St Vincents Quarter area of Sheffield, England. There are 133 flats arranged in a "D" shaped complex of between 4 storey on Edward street and 3 storey on Solly street side. Built in the Inter-War period around a central court yard."

https://ukhousing.fandom.com/wiki/Edward_Street_Flats

Edward Street Flats 1965.s32944.jpg.eb06f8d95ad7bd4941764db19f3d4160.jpgs32944

Edward Street flats, from Solly Street.1965.s32947.jpg.44e4eea459537abc37df658f7c2b39ff.jpgs32947

Edward Street Flats from Upper Allen Street. 1986. t11841.jpg.bf7f9ce445dea7672ee8f9315955c211.jpgt11841

Edward Street Flats from Solly Street. 24th June 2005.c01328.jpg.fd2e0533ecd98c1507e4909599c09519.jpgc01328

New playgrounds and garden, Edward Street Flats. 1955.y14271.jpg.6df836bb8ff85abd3eb0e4b6d7a6268c.jpgy14271

Image from Sheffield City Council Housing Department, Annual Report, 1955-1956 (Sheffield Local Studies Library: 352.5 SQ).

SK3487 Edward Street Flats. 

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3906325