Old Hillsborough Shops, Cafe's etc

Sheffield History

Some of the things you may remember:

Shops, Bars And Cafe's

The Smugglers Den - coffee bar opposite Hillsborough Park (it had a pinball machine and jukebox) that served fluffy coffee's and parkdrive cigarettes. They served coffee in glass cups and saucers.

David Layne's New Squirrel cafe on Middlewood Road opposite the library in Hillsborough park

Mitchells Cafe - top of Leppings Lane

Pauls Pantry was on a road off Holme Lane near the Middlewood Rd traffic lights. The road that goes up to Walkley. Near a bridge over the river. (1960/62) You could get beefburgers, chips, peas, gravy, apple pie and custard, and a cup of tea for 4/6

Jack's - on Langsett Road not far up from the Barracks. (sasperella bar) - you could go in and see David, Peter Swan and Tony Kay hunched over the jukebox discussing tactics. That would be about 1961 when, the Owls finished 2nd in the top division just behind Spurs

Snooker hall at the side of the Park Cinema

Choices Video shop used to be the YEB shop

Legends Bar was a Timpsons Shoe Shop

Where the cafe is now, next to La Vida Loca (corner of Rudyard Road) used to be the first Tates Gallery shop

On the opposite corner or Rudyard Road was Langtons Shoe shop

Langtons also had another shoe shop in what is now the clothes shop next to Wilkinsons

Wilkinsons was a Tescos in the 70's, before that it was a Church ?

The corner of Taplin Road/Middlewood Road where the now empty Hairdresser is, was a butchers shop

Parkers the Jewelers used to sell school uniform upstairs

The shops did half day closing on a thursday afternooon

Bottom Of Dykes Hall Road - "M & C Kay, Newsagents". Marion and Clarice Kay inherited the shop from their father. Neither ever married, and they ran the shop until the mid-1970s. The interior of the shop was rather dismal, and the huge counter was covered in newspapers and magazines. Whether you asked for a Dandy, a Woman's Own or something more obscure like "The Aquarist" or "Coin Monthly" they knew exactly where to find it. They also sold lots of other things, from toys and jig-saws to bundles of firewood. They lived over the shop; you could go to the back door if they were closed and they would be happy to sell whatever you wanted. They sold up and moved to a semi in Stanwood Crescent. Highly educated women (with degrees from Edinburgh University) they were rather eccentric, but straight as a die. Marion died in April 1982, aged 81 and Clarice a few months later, aged 72.

In the late '60s early '70s there was a car or motor bike showroom on the right hand side (going towards Middlewood) - it was one of the last stores before you got to the park. it occupied the site of the former Howard's dairy (best ice cream in Sheffield). Before the Bond Bug came out (in June 1970) they sold the little NSU "Prinz" cars

The pork butcher at the corner of Taplin Road was Kelsey's - old Frank Kelsey retired and handed over to his nephew but the business went downhill

There was a dentist - V.Hilton Tapp. He was the dentist opposite the Park entrance on Hawksley Ave. Vincent H. Tapp, born 14 May 1899, died in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1970

The Yorkshire bank used to be on the corner of Rudyard road, opposite Timpsons shoe shop

The post office was just along Hillsborough Road; it was built in 1961 - before that the (much smaller) P.O. was on the other side of Middlewood Road, near Kay's newsagents.

The petrol station (where Maplins is now) replaced the Phoenix cinema, which must have closed in the 1960s.

The flower cart at the end of Roselle Street was owned by Mrs Windley who had the flower shop on Proctor Place - her daughter Victoria took over, and still has the flower shop as well as "Flowers by Victoria" in the arcade.

Cinema's

The Pheonix Cinema - opposite Hillsborough Barracks

Hillsborough Park Cinema

Kinema

Guest J R Wrigley

Before Woolworth's came to Hillsborough in the mid 1930s Hillsborough National School stood there. In the photo there is an entrance by the side of the school that led down to the Blue Ball pub on Bradfield Road (Where else?). In order to prevent it becoming a right of way a narrow doorway to the pub had to be closed for one day each year. When the new centre was being built in the 1980s that short cut was blocked off.

Fancy having to close a door one day a year !!

Some strange laws and bylaws in this country sometimes..

Also - the names of these places are peculiar. How can Hillsborough be a 'national' school ?

And another thing - if the narrow passageway went down to the Blue Ball, does that mean that it wasn't visible from any street in Hillsborough and tucked away 'round the back' ?

If I remember correctly, there was a church around the other side (Bradfield Road side) that stood where the current entrance to Hillsborough Shopping Centre and Wilkinsons now stands - not sure what was a little further up (next to the church) as that would have been where the Blue Ball car park is now.

See the cover to Mr. Wrigleys 'A Hillsborough Camera' to see the Church.

Guest coffee cup

The sports shop, which was where the new travel information offices are now, next to the interchange, think it was called Birgins ??.

Wasn't the interchange a petrol station before ? :unsure::unsure:

The Tesco on Bradfield Road was called Presto before it was Tesco. I remember they had brown paper bags, like they have in America, which had "I've been to Presto " written on them.

Guest J R Wrigley

And another thing - if the narrow passageway went down to the Blue Ball, does that mean that it wasn't visible from any street in Hillsborough and tucked away 'round the back' ?

If you stand in Bradfield Road facing the Old Blue Ball the doorway was in the far left hand corner - it may be there still. I must check next time I'm down that way.

My father worked at the Electricity substation at the corner of Hawksley Avenue - still there but abandoned. His afternoon shift lasted from 2pm to 10pm. 10pm happened to be closing time at all Sheffield pubs. He liked his pint and I was told that he had an standing arrangement with the landlord of the Blue Ball to pull him a pint at one minute to ten.

Guest J R Wrigley

Shops, Bars And Cafe's

The Smugglers Den - coffee bar opposite Hillsborough Park (it had a pinball machine and jukebox) that served fluffy coffee's and parkdrive cigarettes. They served coffee in glass cups and saucers.

David Layne's New Squirrel cafe on Middlewood Road opposite the library in Hillsborough park

Pauls Pantry was on a road off Holme Lane near the Middlewood Rd traffic lights. The road that goes up to Walkley. Near a bridge over the river. (1960/62) You could get beefburgers, chips, peas, gravy, apple pie and custard, and a cup of tea for 4/6

Jack's - on Langsett Road not far up from the Barracks. (sasperella bar) - you could go in and see David, Peter Swan and Tony Kay hunched over the jukebox discussing tactics. That would be about 1961 when, the Owls finished 2nd in the top division just behind Spurs

Where the cafe is now, next to La Vida Loca (corner of Rudyard Road) used to be the first Tates Gallery shop

Langtons also had another shoe shop in what is now the clothes shop next to Wilkinsons

The corner of Taplin Road/Middlewood Road where the now empty Hairdresser is, was a butchers shop

In the late '60s early '70s there was a car or motor bike showroom on the right hand side (going towards Middlewood) - it was one of the last stores before you got to the park. it occupied the site of the former Howard's dairy (best ice cream in Sheffield). Before the Bond Bug came out (in June 1970) they sold the little NSU "Prinz" cars

The pork butcher at the corner of Taplin Road was Kelsey's - old Frank Kelsey retired and handed over to his nephew but the business went downhill

There was a dentist - V.Hilton Tapp. He was the dentist opposite the Park entrance on Hawksley Ave. Vincent H. Tapp, born 14 May 1899, died in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1970

The Yorkshire bank used to be on the corner of Rudyard road, opposite Timpsons shoe shop

The post office was just along Hillsborough Road; it was built in 1961 - before that the (much smaller) P.O. was on the other side of Middlewood Road, near Kay's newsagents.

The petrol station (where Maplins is now) replaced the Phoenix cinema, which must have closed in the 1960s.

The flower cart at the end of Roselle Street was owned by Mrs Windley who had the flower shop on Proctor Place - her daughter Victoria took over, and still has the flower shop as well as "Flowers by Victoria" in the arcade.

Cinema's

Hillsborough Park Cinema

Kinema

Guest J R Wrigley

Shops, Bars And Cafe's

Cinema's

Hillsborough Park Cinema

Kinema

Umbrella Takeaway, two or three doors down from the Car Showroom that showed the "Bug 70", across the road from the original "Hillsborough Electrical", near the bottom of Minto Road ........ in Sheffield anyway lol

Guest coffee cup

Boots used to be on opposite side of road (opposite Barclays Bank), almost next door to Timpsons Shoe shop.

Guest nosy nellie

Timsons shoe shop was where legends is now,and opposite Timsons was the Public Benefit shoe shop.

Burtons tailors was where The Subway is now and above Burtons upstairs was a snooker hall and a dance hall.

The clothes shop opposite Wilkinsons was Dempseys shoe shop.

On Holme lane where all the renovation is taking place was Hemming the grocers a newsagents a hairdressers

and a Butchers.Claytons fish shop was at the top of bradfield road next to Timsons.

I think The maypole grocers was where the fireplace shop is now next to Legends.

Wigfalls was at the top of rudyard road before the first Tates Gallery and the cafe.

Guest coffee cup

There was a shoe shop either next to or close to the old Boots, opposite Barclays, it must have been Freeman & Hardy Willis, I had some shoes bought for me there by an Aunt when I was a bridesmaid.

There was a shoe shop either next to or close to the old Boots, opposite Barclays, it must have been Freeman & Hardy Willis, I had some shoes bought for me there by an Aunt when I was a bridesmaid.

the shoe shop opposite barcleys was called langtons, i worked there after leaving school. :rolleyes:

Not been to Hillsborough for a while but remember the row of shops on Holme Lane that were knocked down for the tram. There was a jewelers where my future huband bought my engagement ring and a florist on the corner where he ONCE ordered me flowers (but thats another story!!). There was also a Pineapple (i think) dance studio above and a Chinese? restaurant or am I mixing my areas? lol

Could that have been Fizzical - dance studio and gymnasium ? Above a jewellers certainly, I used to go (1984-85) there lifting big weights for a laugh, before retiring to the Freemasons for a "bellyfull" then a kebab or pizza just by the Bridge, strange, I was 24 years old at the time, 14 stone with the body of an bronzed Adonis (pasty-white, but a good body nevertheless, more like well-sculpted lard) ... now I'm no longer 24, no longer 14 stone and my body is a Temple, well, more like a small shopping mall actually - hey-ho he he

Could that have been Fizzical - dance studio and gymnasium ? Above a jewellers certainly, I used to go (1984-85) there lifting big weights for a laugh, before retiring to the Freemasons for a "bellyfull" then a kebab or pizza just by the Bridge, strange, I was 24 years old at the time, 14 stone with the body of an bronzed Adonis (pasty-white, but a good body nevertheless, more like well-sculpted lard) ... now I'm no longer 24, no longer 14 stone and my body is a Temple, well, more like a small shopping mall actually - hey-ho he he

The thought of well sculptured lard has put me right off my supper! :(:( :(

More memories- pub crawl from the Masons then to the Shaky and into the Ball and sometimes back!!! Kelseys pork pies and the chippy on Tapton road. Learning to swim at the old hillsborough baths and coming first in a race at the gala. Woolworths when it was twice the size (superdrug moved into half of it I think). The precinct opening and thinking it was posh. Buying a mirror from binghams glass shop for eight pounds(i still have it)

Walking in Hillsborough park with my baby daughter- is it me or has it shrunk? and where is the running track? it seems to be a rugby pitch where have the hallamshire harriers gone?

I could go on but I think I need a rest -memories where would we be without them?!!!!! :blink::blink: :blink:

More memories- pub crawl from the Masons then to the Shaky and into the Ball and sometimes back!!! Kelseys pork pies and the chippy on Tapton road. Learning to swim at the old hillsborough baths and coming first in a race at the gala. Woolworths when it was twice the size (superdrug moved into half of it I think). The precinct opening and thinking it was posh. Buying a mirror from binghams glass shop for eight pounds(i still have it)

Walking in Hillsborough park with my baby daughter- is it me or has it shrunk? and where is the running track? it seems to be a rugby pitch where have the hallamshire harriers gone?

I could go on but I think I need a rest -memories where would we be without them?!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Pubs, don't talk to me about Pubs (see the Pubs link), learned to swim at Hillsborough baths - late 60's), worked at Wollies pre-shrinkage; enjoyed many a time at the running track, did me many a triple jump, caused me many an injury still with me 30 years later, Oh but best memories of the "Saturday Girls" at Woolworths, I started working there on my 16th birthday so it was all innocent, but .... hope sprung eternal he he

Fancy having to close a door one day a year !!

Some strange laws and bylaws in this country sometimes..

Also - the names of these places are peculiar. How can Hillsborough be a 'national' school ?

Here you are!

The National School movement began in 1811 and was established by a group of philanthropists for the basic education of poorer children of primary school age.

The reason for closing the door is that by law, if a path or route is used by the public for a continuous period of 25 years it becomes a right of way. By closing it one day a year you break the continuity and therefore it can't be claimed as a right of way. We do the same thing every year with a footpath across the grounds of our church.

Does anyone remember AV Massey, the electrical shop on Middlewood Road or JW Reeve the Boot repairers on Leppings Lane? I am doing some family tree research and would like to know if there are any photo's or info out there with regard to these two places. Thanks.

Before Woolworth's came to Hillsborough in the mid 1930s Hillsborough National School stood there. In the photo there is an entrance by the side of the school that led down to the Blue Ball pub on Bradfield Road (Where else?). In order to prevent it becoming a right of way a narrow doorway to the pub had to be closed for one day each year. When the new centre was being built in the 1980s that short cut was blocked off.

Does anyone remember AV Massey, the electrical shop on Middlewood Road or JW Reeve the Boot repairers on Leppings Lane?

Been around a while ...

James William Reeve, Boot repairer of 78 Leppings Lane (Kelly's 1925 )