Old Hillsborough Shops, Cafe's etc

Sheffield History

Been around a while ...

James William Reeve, Boot repairer of 78 Leppings Lane (Kelly's 1925 )

Thanks for that. I'm doing my family tree and that is my GG Grandfather. I wondered when he started the business up, he came to Sheffield as a child at the turn of the century.

The first time I went to Hillsborough was in 1993 and I was taken into the precinct and the only thing that stuck out was Thurstons the pasty shop.

Back up in Durham Thurstons was called Greggs...and the shops were excatly the same...same products (cold pasties) same signs outside and everything just the different name. It just looked wrong.

We also went in this cafe further up the road towards Dykes Lane on the left. We ordered down stairs but went upsatirs to eat. You could have a smoke there too which back then was normal but not today.

I've been stopped ten years now but back then we all thought nothing of having a 'tab' in Macdonalnds using those silly little tin foil ash trays they had at the time.

We also went in this cafe further up the road towards Dykes Lane on the left. We ordered down stairs but went upsatirs to eat. You could have a smoke there too which back then was normal but not today.

If my geography is right that would be Dykes Hall Road on the left. (former Dykes Hall Road resident 1970-1977)

Guest beemerboy

The car showroom was Europa cars which replaced the old co-op and sold big NSUs as welli.e.Ro80.Howerds dairy was lower down and made excellent lemon curd called Edna May.The shoe shop next to Boots was Turners.

Before Woolworth's came to Hillsborough in the mid 1930s Hillsborough National School stood there. In the photo there is an entrance by the side of the school that led down to the Blue Ball pub on Bradfield Road (Where else?). In order to prevent it becoming a right of way a narrow doorway to the pub had to be closed for one day each year. When the new centre was being built in the 1980s that short cut was blocked off.

Woolworth's didn't actually open in Middlewood Road until 1956, but Hillsborough National School (which my grandma attended) was indeed demolished in a 1930s act of vandalism. The alley at the side, which went past the back of the Don Bakery, is shown in directories as "Bradfield Place" though it never had a sign to my knowledge. The door was locked on Good Friday each year to avoid it becoming a public right of way. The door is apparently still there (access from Hawksley Avenue).

Guest shelagh scholfield

There was a boating lake in Hillsborough Park.I don't know the name of the boats but they could be peddled.I would just love to have a go on one of those boats again.I expect ( Health and Safety) stopped all that.

There was a boating lake in Hillsborough Park.I don't know the name of the boats but they could be peddled.I would just love to have a go on one of those boats again.I expect ( Health and Safety) stopped all that.

To be honest I think the vandels stopped all that as with the rowing boats in Crooksmoor Park.

Long before the elf n safety took off. :(

We always called them "Paddle Boats" and you didn't peddle them, you turned two crank shaped handles with your arms.

They were painted green and cream and were a very popular attraction in the 50's and 60's. I don't remember them being still there in the 70's but by then I was in my twenties and fitting my 6 foot frame into a little paddle boat might have been problematic even if the "Parky" had sold me a ticket.

The boats were only allowed on a small fenced off area of the pond on the southern part, the interesting islands were out of reach to small boys. When the Parky shut up shop for the night, he would rope all the boats together, take them out to the middle of the fence, tie them up and paddle one boat back to terra firma which he then lifted out of the water and dragged into his lock up shed.

HD

Guest shelagh scholfield

Thanks for that,My sister was to scout the park at the first opportunity she could get to see if they were still there.

Bad news: The boats are no longer in Hillsborough Park.

Good News: They do have the same boats at Millhouses Park.

Bad News: You have to be under 14 to go in them.

But it's still fun having a coffee and watching todays youngsters getting soaking wet while you whistfully reminisce 'those were the days'

Bad news: The boats are no longer in Hillsborough Park.

Good News: They do have the same boats at Millhouses Park.

Bad News: You have to be under 14 to go in them.

But it's still fun having a coffee and watching todays youngsters getting soaking wet while you whistfully reminisce 'those were the days'

All this talk of Paddle Boats puts me in mind of the old joke.

Parky One. "Does boat number 61 look right to you".

Parky Two. "We haven't got a boat number 61.

Parky One. "You had better get your waders on quick, boat 19 is in trouble.

Groan !

HD

Until about 1955 there were also rowing boats in Hillsborough Park (on the other side of the wire fence from the smaller paddle-boat area). You weren't supposed to go ashore on any of the islands (but we sometimes did). The rowing boats were taken off at the same time that they banned fishing in the pond - this was evidently done because they wanted to use the pond for breeding fish to stock other council-owned ponds. Here is an old photo of the rowing boats:

Until about 1955 there were also rowing boats in Hillsborough Park (on the other side of the wire fence from the smaller paddle-boat area). You weren't supposed to go ashore on any of the islands (but we sometimes did). The rowing boats were taken off at the same time that they banned fishing in the pond - this was evidently done because they wanted to use the pond for breeding fish to stock other council-owned ponds. Here is an old photo of the rowing boats: http://i169.photobuc...igmore/Park.jpg

I remember the fish breeding that took place in the larger portion of the pond.

We used to paddle our way up to the fence and watch the fish over the other side.

From memory they were mostly Perch, some of them of considerable size. They never seemed to cross in to the paddle boat area although they could have easily got through the fence.

The council also used to breed Trout in the Glen Howe Park ponds opposite the old tea-rooms when they took it over from the West Riding. Some of them had grown to great size.

Does anyone remember the Glen Howe tearoom with it's stag's heads and ferns growing out of the wall ?

It was a family favourite among our extended family to catch the bus to Wharncliffe Side and spend the day in Glen Howe with our sandwiches wrapped in a greaseproof bread wrapper and fizzy drinks purchased from the park-keepers "castle" cum house and eaten in the old tearoom, followed by a day exploring and playing on the swings in the top field.

HD

On 10/01/2008 at 15:36, JayneMu said:

Does anyone remember AV Massey, the electrical shop on Middlewood Road or JW Reeve the Boot repairers on Leppings Lane? I am doing some family tree research and would like to know if there are any photo's or info out there with regard to these two places. Thanks.

well, this post is from a long time ago, but my dad worked out of A. V. Massey's shop in the 1970s, perhaps into the 80s as well.  Thought I had a photo but can't find it.  

Opposite the cinema by Leppings lane was a newsagent run by Ron Starling who was an ex professional footballer.

On 19/08/2019 at 16:34, Old rider said:

Opposite the cinema by Leppings lane was a newsagent run by Ron Starling who was an ex professional footballer.

Ronnie Starling captained Wednesday at the 1935 FA Cup Final.

From Wikipedia:

Starling was signed by Bob Brown but within a year Billy Walker was in charge. Walker made Starling club captain and played him in a central midfield role prompting him to produce the best football of his career. He played for The Owls for four-and-a-half years, as Wednesday finished third in Division One two seasons running and captained their 1935 FA Cup-winning team. In April 1933, he won his first England cap, playing as inside right in the 2–1 defeat by Scotland. As Wednesday struggled near the bottom of Division One, Starling joined Aston Villa for £6,900 on 6 January 1937, just a day after they had rejected a huge bid for Jackie Robinson from Arsenal.[1] In total he played 176 league matches for Wednesday scoring 31 goals, and appeared in 17 FA Cup matches without scoring.

Does anyone remember the café on Langsett road called the Brick Rabbit? I just can't recall which corner it was on

Maybe Bamford street.