Chesterman Tape Measure

Guest Barnie

Guest Barnie

Hi,

I have come across a leather cased tape measure with the words "Chestermans Patent Sheffield" on the front. Itr has a brass fold out winder. Can anyone tell me what period this was made in?

Thanks, Barnie

Hi,

I have come across a leather cased tape measure with the words "Chestermans Patent Sheffield" on the front. Itr has a brass fold out winder. Can anyone tell me what period this was made in?

Thanks, Barnie

Try here for some Chesterman information and Welcome to the Site Barnie.

Also click on the Sheffield History Google Search Tool near the bottom of my reply, type in Chesterman and have fun reading what you find - keep us posted please.

Search for :

Chesterman leather

and you will find a picture of one.

You are never far away from the Search Tool, many people have a link to it in their signature - it's much better than the old search tool - I hope everyone gives it a go

Update : now use Google Custom Search (below the adverts) for best search results, I just have to arrive here.

Guest strataned

I have one of these Chesterman Leather clad tape measures as well. I guess since they were so incredibly well made there must be thousands still in existence. No idea how old it is. It is a 100ft model with feet/inches on side 1 and centimetres/metres on side 2. Curiously in addition to being embossed with CHESTERMAN SHEFFIELD ENGLAND centrally around the brass pop out winder on both sides, it also has the logo KOPPERS COKE OVEN Co Ltd SHEFFIELD stamped into the case around the circumference on the winder side only. I think it once belonged to my Father In Laws father who was I think an architectural surveyor. So that would mean it was being used by him some time between 1910-1950...

Hi,

Thanks, Barnie

I have one of these Chesterman Leather clad tape measures as well. I guess since they were so incredibly well made there must be thousands still in existence. No idea how old it is. It is a 100ft model with feet/inches on side 1 and centimetres/metres on side 2. Curiously in addition to being embossed with CHESTERMAN SHEFFIELD ENGLAND centrally around the brass pop out winder on both sides, it also has the logo KOPPERS COKE OVEN Co Ltd SHEFFIELD stamped into the case around the circumference on the winder side only. I think it once belonged to my Father In Laws father who was I think an architectural surveyor. So that would mean it was being used by him some time between 1910-1950...

41 Fosters Building's, 22 High Street, Kopper's Coke Oven & Bye Product Co. Ltd. (The).

(White's 1905)

301 Glossop Road, Kopper's Coke Oven Co. Ltd., coke oven builders.

( White's 1911 - Kelly's 1925)

Koppers Coke Oven and By-Product Co. link to 'Grace's Guide'

Unsure about this, same name ? link to .. www.koppers.com/htm/OurCo_Heri_OldTime

Guest Gillian Brennan

Hi,

I found a 33FT tape, (at the rubbish tip) bakelite and brass, with JC Chesterman Sheffield on it and was wondering when it may have been made, in other words how old it might be.

The tape end itself is missing but it appears to be made of cloth with markings - beautiful old type numbers - on the back also at every 6", and 1-2 Pole/s etc. at each 16'6".

I'm no real collector but anything I find which 'they don't make anymore I keep, ! so maybe I am .

I will try to put a picture on here but this is the first time I have ever posted anything so here goes.

Thanks in advance if anyone replies.

Gillian

My G-G-grandmother used to work as "measuring tape painter". What means? Painting the case or the marks on the tape itself? Have somebody an idea how was the work for this people, if they used to work in some factory or at home doing this job? I imagine the pay would be very meager.  

On 06/06/2018 at 21:31, Patsy56 said:

My G-G-grandmother used to work as "measuring tape painter". What means? Painting the case or the marks on the tape itself? Have somebody an idea how was the work for this people, if they used to work in some factory or at home doing this job? I imagine the pay would be very meager.  

My wife started work there in 1960 as she used to make up the wages she may even know her.

The metal tapes were printed by machines. Starting with a huge roll of steel the markings were printed on by wheels with the markings on them that rolled the inches feet etc on to the tape. the wheels had a smaller roller that put the paint on to the marking wheels as they rolled round. After marking the steel was coiled up again then checked for accuracy after being cut up into lengths such as 2M, 3m 100m.

Chestermans was bought out by Stanley Tools and the tape making machinery was installed for a short time at their Hellaby near Rotherham factory. Unfortunately then Stanley tools proposed to close a French factory and the French Government cut up rough proposing to charge Stanleys big fines on trumped up charges. To placate the French Government all Chesterman's tape making machines were sent to Besancon too prevent this factory closing and avoid the proposed fines. I got a trip to Besancon to solve their paint drying problem.

That story is the truth about how France defends their industry and Stanley tools learnt not to make French workers redundant.