Sheffield Parkway

GrinderBloke

Does anyone remember Sheffield Parkway being built?

I don't remember the section from the M1 to Handsworth being built but I do remember the section from Handsworth to the city centre which included the road being widened and extension from Cricket Inn Road etc.

Anyone remember the tipper lorry bringing the foot bridge (between lower Manor and Littledale) down on itself?

What about the old railway tunnels being filled behind Cricket Inn Road?

Part of Bowden Homestead Woods being ripped up to build the roundabout at Handsworth?

I don't remember the section from the M1 to Handsworth being built but I do remember the section from Handsworth to the city centre which included the road being widened and extension from Cricket Inn Road etc.

Part of Bowden Homestead Woods being ripped up to build the roundabout at Handsworth?

I dont remember the road being built but for what seemed like years the roundabout on handsworth road only ever had three exits - the 'old' Parkway and the two exits for handsworth road. The one which eventually linked out to the M1 was just a 'dead end'

My mates and I once went to investigate the old railway tunnels down there - we were walking down one when we heard a train approaching - it soudned as though it ws going to be on top of us at any minute so we ran like hell only to see it emerging from a tunnel underneath us.

Guest transit

Anyone remember the tipper lorry bringing the foot bridge (between lower Manor and Littledale) down on itself?

I remember Bernard Rd being over a graduated solid banking, down towards the Dark Arches, and in this banking were2or3 tunnels of different heights .The far one started EXACTLY where the 40mph speed camera is now,on the Parkway,coming into town. This was a large 20foot archway and must have been around 150foot long. Although the train tracks had been removed, it was a very dark and spooky place which a few of us went through as a dare ,walking in almost total darkness till we caught light from the other end. All along you could hear noisy rumblings of trains passing through nearby tunnels.When we finally emerged out at the other end , there was a sheer drop of about 80 foot down to another traintrack ! (by the way,all this was accessable and we were not tresspassing - i think the authorities just presumed nobody would be daft enough to want to walk through the tunnels!)I remember these tunnels going and the large flyover being put in place to re-carry Bernard Rd.(A very similar operation was involved to make another steel flyover- over the remaining tunnels behind theDurham Ox pub- directly before the start of the concrete flyover onto Park Square for the Supertram duringthe early 90"s) I can also remember going "newtin" at Cowlishaws pond which was between Manor Lane and Parkway markets, around where Sheffield Insulations depot is. I still can remember watching the big earth movers from newly demolished Aston Street, -running up and down, levelling all the rubble constantly being fetched- during the school hols.

I remember Bernard Rd being over a graduated solid banking, down towards the Dark Arches, and in this banking were2or3 tunnels of different heights .The far one started EXACTLY where the 40mph speed camera is now,on the Parkway,coming into town. This was a large 20foot archway and must have been around 150foot long. Although the train tracks had been removed, it was a very dark and spooky place which a few of us went through as a dare ,walking in almost total darkness till we caught light from the other end. All along you could hear noisy rumblings of trains passing through nearby tunnels.When we finally emerged out at the other end , there was a sheer drop of about 80 foot down to another traintrack ! (by the way,all this was accessable and we were not tresspassing - i think the authorities just presumed nobody would be daft enough to want to walk through the tunnels!)I remember these tunnels going and the large flyover being put in place to re-carry Bernard Rd.(A very similar operation was involved to make another steel flyover- over the remaining tunnels behind theDurham Ox pub- directly before the start of the concrete flyover onto Park Square for the Supertram duringthe early 90"s) I can also remember going "newtin" at Cowlishaws pond which was between Manor Lane and Parkway markets, around where Sheffield Insulations depot is. I still can remember watching the big earth movers from newly demolished Aston Street, -running up and down, levelling all the rubble constantly being fetched- during the school hols.

Sounds like we may have bumped into each other ;)

I remember spending hours watching the giant earth movers.

I asked on a railway forum a while back and someone posted pictures of the original work undertaken in the 1960s... Just trying to find it now

Do you remember the houses at the end of Maltravers Road, just after it split with Cricket In Road... The old laundrette on Cricket Inn Road?

Wow you are the first person on any Sheffield forum to mention Cowlishaws pond! We also went looking for newts!!

Guest transit

Sounds like we may have bumped into each other ;)

I remember spending hours watching the giant earth movers.

I asked on a railway forum a while back and someone posted pictures of the original work undertaken in the 1960s... Just trying to find it now

Do you remember the houses at the end of Maltravers Road, just after it split with Cricket In Road... The old laundrette on Cricket Inn Road?

Wow you are the first person on any Sheffield forum to mention Cowlishaws pond! We also went looking for newts!!

Glad i did"nt bump into you in the tunnel! - as for the the small road behind Maltravers- that would be Derwent Street- where i lived till moving in 76. The road is still there but now has small industrial units on it ,although Park Garage at the top is still there. I remember most of the pubs and shops ,and still pass through reguarly .Any questions, fire away!

I was working the same job the night before, got to work on Monday to find the Lorry with its cab flattened.

I was working the same job the night before, got to work on Monday to find the Lorry with its cab flattened.

:(

As kids we watched the recovery operation :(

Apparently the driver didn't lower the tipping part of the truck before reaching the footbridge.

Guest transit

:(

As kids we watched the recovery operation :(

Apparently the driver didn't lower the tipping part of the truck before reaching the footbridge.

I think this happened again only a couple of years ago - where a tipper lorry got firmly wedged under a bridge ,in the same area, when the driver had set off without lowering the back down . Although there were no injuries , the bridge was okay,but i presume the lorry was badly"buckled"!

I think this happened again only a couple of years ago - where a tipper lorry got firmly wedged under a bridge ,in the same area, when the driver had set off without lowering the back down . Although there were no injuries , the bridge was okay,but i presume the lorry was badly"buckled"!

The first bridge was only held on by a couple of lugs each end, and it was debateable whether it had its fixing pegs in, had the job of helping to break the section up after.

It was a bad stretch of road, a bus hit a van that had overturned, I'm sure there was a woman knocked down, A car just missed me at about two in the morning, overturned, flipped a couple of times, rolled down the embankment that is now the underpass to the Parkway market, and the kid got out with hardly a scratch, rather worse for drink by the look of him.

Guest lioness

The bridge came down due to not being sturdy enough, it wasn't built to spec.

Was nasty accident, unfotunate but, even though lorry brought bridge down it was not his fault.

Bridge faulty!

Guest philb

I worked on the parkway when it was being built.The bits I worked on was the construction of the large concrete retaining wall where Harris's meat factory was( next to the abbatoir) and also on the subway at the bottom of duke st.(not there any more)

As regards to the lorry and the bridge,what happened was after the driver tipped his load he set off before the tipper was down,which resulted in him dislodging a precast section of the footbridge.Unfortunatly it came down on the roof of the cab.I think he was killed.

I remember seeing photographs of a swimming pool that used to be where the roundabout is near Bowden Howstead Woods

If you went newt'in at Cowlishaws pond (Cowlogs) you must have also played on/around Nunnery Pit, I spent most of my youth up't' no good there, in the good old days, the days of before, the dark days.

I say "the dark days" as we were always scruffed up't eyeballs, snotty nose, arse hanging out of our short trousers.

I did write a short tale based on a true story....

http://mickcoyles.com/html/nunnery_pit.html

This photo is from.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c55362/

Guest bullerboy

Can anyone give me the exact dates which the sections of the Parkway was built please.

It was fully opened in 1974 but can't help with individual sections. Certainly I was riding as a pillion on parts of it back in the early 60s.

In September 1962 the council applied to remove restrictions on the Sheffield Parkway and to prohibit waiting on it. It came into effect on 5th November 1962.

In March 1970 an order was made by the Ministry to stop up Granville Hill, Low Street, parts of Navigation Hill, Blast Lane, Wharf Street, Broad Street, Sheaf Street, Sheaf Lane, South Street, Duke Street, Granville Street, Duke Street Lane, Bernard Road, Aston Street, Nunnery Lane, Clifton Lane, Quarry Road, Waverley Lane, Jews Walk, and a couple of other footpaths in the interests of safety of users of, and to facilitate the movements of traffic on Sheffield Parkway and its extension to Commercial Street and to the city boundary.

I am interested in the references to railway tunnels in this thread. What line was there and isn't anymore? There is a curious tunnel under the road near Nunnery Square tram depot in which a footpath seems to disappear under the road - can't really explain any better than that as i usually see it in passing on a tram. Anyway is that anything to do with the tunnels in this thread or not? I don't mind either way!