14, Ecclesall Rd South Sheffield

vox

I saw these very old gateposts at Banner Cross so I had to stop and take a look.

This is the house behind the gate.

Can't find anything about it at all.

I saw these very old gateposts at Banner Cross so I had to stop and take a look.

Impressive house and grounds; related to the Church ?

Previous name(s) for Ecclesall Road was, I think Ecclesall New Road (don't have a date for the building of it) - not sure about the "South" addition though ... i.e. utterly stumped.

It's an old farmhouse, formerly Cedar Farm. There's just one old photo on Picture Sheffield. It's on land that was formerly part of the Banner Cross estate, so I guess it was a tenant farm. More than that I can't say, except that the present house is much bigger than it looks front-on. Try and get a glimpse from one side.

But looking at the old photo, the back part doesn't appear to be there then.

It's an old farmhouse, formerly Cedar Farm. There's just one old photo on Picture Sheffield. It's on land that was formerly part of the Banner Cross estate, so I guess it was a tenant farm. More than that I can't say!

Brilliant stuff - ask Walter Skelton Furness, Farmer, Cedar Farm, Ecclesall Road South - (he was there 1911-1925) if he has any memories of its history ... (he was at The Firs, Ringinglow Road also but only known there 1919-1925).

Shown just as Walter Skelton Furness, Farmer, Banner Cross in 1905.

Previous name(s) for Ecclesall Road was, I think Ecclesall New Road (don't have a date for the building of it) - not sure about the "South" addition though ... i.e. utterly stumped.

Ecclesall New Road known from 1833, unless anyone knows any earlier ?

Ecclesall New Road known from 1833, unless anyone knows any earlier ?

1812 ?

When, in 1812, the Trust was empowered to construct a new road from Fox House to Banner Cross, the Duke of Devonshire lent it £6,000 for this purpose.

SH link

Here's a painting of Banner Cross Cottages by Albert Edward Boler of Castleton. Not sure of the date, but the state of the road which is only just off the turnpike road may bring comparisons with the condition of todays roads.

Banner Cross.png

I did an article about Cedar Farm Cottage in the Retro a few weeks ago, the large barn that was at the rear has long gone, the double gable ends show one was added at a later date and the stone porch looks far to grand for a farmhouse as is the door, I think these were brought from an older property and put here.

8 hours ago, Edmund said:

Here's a painting of Banner Cross Cottages by Albert Edward Boler of Castleton. Not sure of the date, but the state of the road which is only just off the turnpike road may bring comparisons with the condition of todays roads.

Banner Cross.png

This looks like the start of Psalter Lane