143 Bus Stops Axed

RichardB

Sheffield Corporation abolished 143 bus stops at the request of the Minister of War Transport to save on petrol and rubber.

Sheffield Corporation abolished 143 bus stops at the request of the Minister of War Transport to save on petrol and rubber.

I assume these stops must have been at the end of routes, if they were not the bus would still have to drive past, but not stop

Do we know which stops were abolished ?

I assume these stops must have been at the end of routes, if they were not the bus would still have to drive past, but not stop

Do we know which stops were abolished

I don't think there would be 143 route ends.

I had assumed that they would cut out entire routes and services so that all the stops on a particular route would be axed.

Funny way to put it though, - why say we are getting rid of 143 stops rather than says we are getting rid of (for example) 23 routes?

I assumed they were making less stops on route; thus saving time, petrol and rubber -just meant a longer walk to the nearest stop.

Let discussion commence - preferably with someone that knows about Transport !

I assumed they were making less stops on route; thus saving time, petrol and rubber -just meant a longer walk to the nearest stop.

Let discussion commence - preferably with someone that knows about Transport !

So would cutting out stops en-route save petrol and rubber

Like Dave says probably better to cut out entire routes,

Or as you suggested Stuart, at least shorten the routes by knocking off the stops near the end.

Acceleration/decelaration is what costs in terms of fuel - not distance as such - ask a scientist A longer run between stops will save on fuel and wear and tear.

Acceleration/decelaration is what costs in terms of fuel - not distance as such - ask a scientist A longer run between stops will save on fuel and wear and tear.

Not convinced they would have thought that way in 1943, still think cutting distance travelled will save more than driving past stops.

Acceleration/decelaration is what costs in terms of fuel - not distance as such - ask a scientist

This is true, BUT....

In a city centre the presence of a high density of traffic lights, road junctions, roundabouts, other vehicles etc. etc. does mean that you have to drive stop - start whether you want to or not.

It is estimated that in a busy town centre driving at 30 mph you would have to stop around 75 times in an hour (more than once a minute), reducing your average speed to around 12 mph.

Now it would take a lot of bus stops to equal that amount of start - stop driving.

It would be better for fuel consumption / wear and tear to cut town routes and run clear rural routes which require less of this type of driving.

But that would be no good as fewer people use the rural out of town routes than those that pack on the buses to do the local town routes between home and work.

Guest bus man

Not had time to read entire thread however the answer is

On hills , during the war bus stops on hills were removed where possible to avoid having to do a hill start , I understood it was trams as well , the stop at the bottom of meadowhead outside what is now the hairdressers was removed.

In sheffield of course some still remained as it would have been impossible to removed them all.

I think on medowhead the stops were woodseats cobnar road and then little norton lane (thinks thats the name) the charles ashmore road stop was moved to LNL.

Not had time to read entire thread however the answer is

On hills , during the war bus stops on hills were removed where possible to avoid having to do a hill start , I understood it was trams as well , the stop at the bottom of meadowhead outside what is now the hairdressers was removed.

In sheffield of course some still remained as it would have been impossible to removed them all.

I think on medowhead the stops were woodseats cobnar road and then little norton lane (thinks thats the name) the charles ashmore road stop was moved to LNL.

That makes sense now, I did not consider the hills, strange really as Sheffield is all hills

That makes sense now, I did not consider the hills, strange really as Sheffield is all hills

They'll be saying next that to save even more fuel you can turn the engine off and just let it roll down a downhill stretch! <_<

Guest bus man

They'll be saying next that to save even more fuel you can turn the engine off and just let it roll down a downhill stretch!

That would be rather stupid as the bus would then have no brakes :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That would be rather stupid as the bus would then have no brakes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Would they have had servo assisted brakes on buses in 1943, if not did they some other form of engine assisted braking.

I would have thought in the 1940's the brakes were independent of the engine (I'm probably wrong).

If so the braking would be have been poor, therefore they would have to have relied on engine braking as well.

Again not a good idea not use the engine on downhill sections

Did they have air bakes?

That would be rather stupid as the bus would then have no brakes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, some of the other suggestions seem to be fairly desperate penny pinching measures to save fairly small amounts of fuel I just wondered what silly idea they were going to come up with next.

Guest bus man

The TD4 which was pre war definatley had some form of assisted brakeing as it would not move if the engine had been off cant remember if it was a air tank or vac.

I do however, still remember the pain you got if you forgot the hand brake was spring loaded and its only ambitioin in life was ram your elbow into the bulk head as hard as it could :huh: