On Her Majesty's Service

Guest JSP

Hi,

Whilst scanning I came across this envelope. It had nothing in and I haven't a clue who he is which is one mystery!

It is postmarked 1900 and across the top says "ON HER MAJESTY'S SERVICE". Does anyone know if this has any special meaning or whether it simply meant it was royal mail? I would welcome any suggestions. I am unsure how we would come to have an envelope with someone elses name on but was among my great great great grandmother's possessions.

sheffield_cooper.pdf

Thanks,

JSP

Hi,

Whilst scanning I came across this envelope. It had nothing in and I haven't a clue who he is which is one mystery!

It is postmarked 1900 and across the top says "ON HER MAJESTY'S SERVICE". Does anyone know if this has any special meaning or whether it simply meant it was royal mail? I would welcome any suggestions. I am unsure how we would come to have an envelope with someone elses name on but was among my great great great grandmother's possessions.

sheffield_cooper.pdf

Thanks,

JSP

On His/Her Majesty's Service meant it was an official communication from a Government department which was therefore exempt from paying postage to the Royal Mail. It could be anything from a tax demand to call-up papers! What's odd is the London Official paid stamp. If it was OHMS why was duty paid?

Hi,

sheffield_cooper.pdf

Thanks,

JSP

When I first started work at Post Office Telephones in the early 1970's, just a couple of years after the company had left the Civil Service, everything still had "ON HER MAJESTY'S SERVICE", even the loo paper .

I think by that time they were using their own version of prepaid envelopes for external mail, but internally you still used "OHMS" envelopes.

As to the franking in your scan, this was probably to stop reuse by the general public.

Thanks, makes more sense now. It took me a few minutes to work out the year then I noticed the '00' and realiesed! I foolisly thought it was a mark...