Inkerman Tavern

Guest mags

can anyone help with my family tree. I discovered my great great grandfather was landlord at the Inkerman Tavern . The address was 12/21 Alma street. It opened in 1871 and my G.G. grandfather was there in 1891. His name was George Hawkins. We have been down to look around the area but can't find any trace of the building. I would be very grateful if anyone has any information or any photo's.I know it is a long shot. Thank you.

can anyone help with my family tree. I discovered my great great grandfather was landlord at the Inkerman Tavern . The address was 12/21 Alma street. It opened in 1871 and my G.G. grandfather was there in 1891. His name was George Hawkins. We have been down to look around the area but can't find any trace of the building. I would be very grateful if anyone has any information or any photo's.I know it is a long shot. Thank you.

Welcome to the Site Mags

Inkerman Tavern listed also as 21 Kelham Street in 1891 Census.

Sure its been mentioned on here somewhere with regards to Giant Rabbits or Extra Large Vegetables ... a Link Fairie vacancy, methinks.

So, close by 140 Bridge Street then ...

Additional :

George Hawkins, Beer retailer, 4 Alma Street & 21 Kelham Street (1893) and

George Hawkins, Beerhouse, 21 Kelham Street (1905)

Map anyone please ?

A-Z not updated - it is my birthday, so, I'm allowed

Sure its been mentioned on here somewhere with regards to Giant Rabbits or Extra Large Vegetables ... a Link Fairie vacancy, methinks.

I am my own Link Fairie !!! also note 1868

Additional :

George Hawkins, Beer retailer, 4 Alma Street & 21 Kelham Street (1893) and

George Hawkins, Beerhouse, 21 Kelham Street (1905)

Map anyone please ?

A-Z not updated - it is my birthday, so, I'm allowed

Thank you Steve and Richard for your prompt replies. It was a big help and I am most grateful.

On October 31st 1863 an advert for the new Inkerman Tavern appeared in the Independent - To be let (Beer-House) apply to Chambers & Co, Brunswick Brewery, presumably both the beer-house and the new Alma Road were named in honour of the recent Crimean War victory at Inkerman.

The licensee John Leigh held his Rabbit and Canary shows during 1867, 1868, 1869 and the one in 1870 also included pigeons.

On September 24th 1869 at the licence renewal hearings his licence was opposed as he was "living in adultery with a woman not his wife". The licence however was granted.

On October 15 1870 a transfer of the licence was requested by Annie Ashton, who had lived as housekeeper (!) with Mr Leigh, now dead, and he had left the property to her. The transfer was refused due to her previous adulterous relationship. The tavern was the subject of numerous "To Let" adverts from October 1870 until June 1871.

It was open again in August 1872 as a Mrs Jackson caught her husband in there with Mrs Brown and after a shouting match knifed her rival severely. No mention of the licensees name though.

In the 1881 census Joseph Titterton, a jobbing grinder, occupied 21 Kelham Street, but there was no mention of the tavern business. In June 1882 the tavern was definitely being run by Mr Titterton, who caught a burglar in the cellar.

Guesswork says that the Tavern was the corner building (Alma Street and Kelham Street) opposite the now Fat Cat?

Map 8

would appear to confirm your findings.

Guesswork says that the Tavern was the corner building (Alma Street and Kelham Street) opposite the now Fat Cat?