British Pie Week

SteveHB

We're having pie for tea tonight.

Proper Desperate Dan stuff - with real meat and shortcrust pastry.

Can't be doing with that puff pastry.

Guest Trefcon

Try the crust made from beef suet, heavy but out of this world !! (oh, and a quart of Hendo's)

We're having pie for tea tonight.

Proper Desperate Dan stuff - with real meat and shortcrust pastry.

Can't be doing with that puff pastry.

Does Desperate Dan still appear in the Dandy?

When my son was a young lad in the 1990's he used to read Dandy and the Beano and I seem to remember there was a move by the publishers to remove Desperate Dan from the comic in an attempt to "modernise" it but there was then a campaign by readers to "Save our Desperate Dan" which had a lot of support.

Unfortunately while this was going on my son reached the age when he grew out of reading comics and stopped having it so I never did find out what happened.

Does Desperate Dan still appear in the Dandy?

When my son was a young lad in the 1990's he used to read Dandy and the Beano and I seem to remember there was a move by the publishers to remove Desperate Dan from the comic in an attempt to "modernise" it but there was then a campaign by readers to "Save our Desperate Dan" which had a lot of support.

Unfortunately while this was going on my son reached the age when he grew out of reading comics and stopped having it so I never did find out what happened.

This is what Wiki has to say

The strip was drawn by Dudley D. Watkins until his death in 1969.

Although The Dandy Annuals featured new strips from other artists from then on, the comic continued reprinting Watkins strips until 1983 (though the then Korky the Cat artist Charles Grigg drew new strips for annuals and summer specials), when it was decided to start running new strips. These were initially drawn by Peter Davidson, but Ken H. Harrison soon took over as regular artist. The following year Dan was promoted to the front cover of The Dandy, replacing Korky who had been there since issue 1.

Starting from issue 2985, dated 6 February 1999, Cuddles and Dimples replaced Dan on the front cover. This didn't last long, however, as after a readers' poll in 2000, Dan returned to the cover.

Although Ken Harrison was the main artist from 1983 to 2007, other artists have also occasionally filled in for Harrison, including David Parkins and Trevor Metcalfe in the early 1990s. John Geering took over the strip between 1994 and 1997, after which Harrison returned as full-time artist (though Steve Bright occasionally acted as a ghost artist as well). When the Dandy was redesigned and renamed to Dandy Xtreme, the writers used reprints of the old comic strips, until Jamie Smart took over drawing and writing the Desperate Dan comic strips in April 2008.

You can read all the rest just search - dandy desperate dan

The following year Dan was promoted to the front cover of The Dandy, replacing Korky who had been there since issue 1. Starting from issue 2985, dated 6 February 1999, Cuddles and Dimples replaced Dan on the front cover. This didn't last long, however, as after a readers' poll in 2000, Dan returned to the cover.

I think this bit is what I am thinking of.

It must have been not removing him from the comic but removing him from the front cover as the dates fit.

Looks like Dan is still there in the Dandy to this day.

But fancy removing Korky from the Dandy :(

I suppose they have removed Biffo from the Beano as well.