The Camels Hump

Guest Cyberman

Now you come to mention it, I think I can remember that girl Paulines brother, yea, they called him 'Peter' and he always used to wake up in the morning feeling fine and kept going on about something special that was on his mind?

Regards, Cyberman

Funny you should say that Cyberman.

I am sure you say it jokingly as I would have done.

However she did have an elder brother who really was called "Peter" (Peter Noone)

..and as this was the 1960's we did tend to call him "Herman", as in the Peter Noone who was Herman in "Herman's Hermits"

I'm into something good

Woke up this mornin' feelin' fine

There's somethin' special on my mind

Last night I met a new girl in the neighbourhood, whoa yeah

Somethin' tells me I'm into something good

(Somethin' tells me I'm into somethin')

She's the kind of girl who's not too shy

And I can tell I'm her kind of guy

She danced close to me like I hoped she would

(she danced with me like I hoped she would)

We only danced for a minute or two

But then she stuck close to me the whole night through

Can I be fallin' in love

She's everthing I've been dreamin' of

She's everthing I've been dreamin' of

I walked her home and she held my hand

I knew it couldn't be just a one-night stand

So I asked to see her next week and she told me I could

(I asked to see her and she told me I could)

(Somethin' tells me I'm into somethin', ahhh)

I walked her home and she held my hand

I knew it couldn't be just a one-night stand

So I asked to see her next week and she told me I could

(I asked to see her and she told me I could)

(somethin' tells me I'm into somethin')

To something good, oh yeah, something good

To something good, something good, something good

Yep thats the one. Having now read up on the Gleadless/Herdings article (which was very interesting) I've come to the conclusion that Markbaby probably lived very close to an arch enemy of mine who went by the name of Andrew Schoepak (forgive the spelling of the sir name, i've no idea how its actually spelt as he was from Poland or somewhere like that). But from the pictures of Markbaby's house, I think he lived on the same row and just wondered if he, or indeed anyone else had heard of him?

On another related note. Markbaby did you use to go to the fair at the side of the Norton water tower in the summer holidays? I went there every summer without fail.

Andrew Szczupak a.k.a Egghead a.k.a. Eggy

Never heard of him

OK, OK, I admit it!

I grew up with him, although he was younger than me. In fact, it was my brother who gave him his nickname!

I hasten to add that it wasn't because he was super intelligent, no it was because his head was shaped like an egg!

He lived two blocks below me!

We were only kids then. I don't know what happened to him after we left school.

Yes, I did used to go to the fairs at Norton Oaks. Lings I think it was! It always seemed to rain though!

mmmmmmm Westler's hot dogs!, candy floss and a goldfish in a polythene bag!

Never heard of him

OK, OK, I admit it!

I grew up with him, although he was younger than me. In fact, it was my brother who gave him his nickname!

I hasten to add that it wasn't because he was super intelligent, no it was because his head was shaped like an egg!

Yes, I did used to go to the fairs at Norton Oaks. Lings I think it was! It always seemed to rain though!

Between 1973 and some time in the mid 1980's Sheffield Steam Club used to have its annual steam rally at Oaks Park (usually in September, although the date was later changed to June.

The venue moved from Oaks Park after a dispute with the City Council over Sunday trading by-laws.

Never heard of him

OK, OK, I admit it!

I remember Andy, he was a very keen angler in the 1970's.

Guest Cyberman

Ah-ha, Markbaby... the old goldfish in a polythene bag. I'd forgotten all about that. A great memory. I also remember the year of the corrigated platic 3ft hollow tube that you use to spin around your head to make a wierd noise. Closely followed by the summer of the glass clackers that had a habbit of shattering and sending glass all over. All spent at my time on the Herdings.

Oh and by the way DaveH, the Peter kid we were on about never had any milk when you asked him for some. In fact he never used to say anything, just used to stand there in a kind of a hush.

:rolleyes:

Oh and by the way DaveH, the Peter kid we were on about never had any milk when you asked him for some. In fact he never used to say anything, just used to stand there in a kind of a hush.

:rolleyes:

Was that Peter or Herman?

He had a sentimental friend over there and when something is happening that was exciting and dwildering, I don't know why but he was a must to avoid. In the end I am sure he was arrested for prowling and watching sillouttes in the shade.

OK, I admit it, I am a big Hermans Hermits fan as well!

lol

Never heard of him

Is that because you are confusing him with Humpty Dumpty? lol

Guest murray10

I remember Andrew and Christine Shoepak (sic), I lived across the road from them, I also remember the legend that is.....camels hump and whilst not forgetting another sledging run at the side called devils elbow, my mum and dad still live on Leighton Rd, they were one of the 1st one's there 50 yrs on.

I remember Andrew and Christine Shoepak (sic), I lived across the road from them, I also remember the legend that is.....camels hump and whilst not forgetting another sledging run at the side called devils elbow, my mum and dad still live on Leighton Rd, they were one of the 1st one's there 50 yrs on.

Welcome to Sheffield History murray10, nice to have someone new joining in with our posts.

I was going to say, how can you live just across the road from someone who lives in a house that is part of a terraced row built at right angles to the road? But if you lived on the other side of Leighton Road that is probably about as close as you can get to living "just across the road"

So, were Andrew and Christine brother and sister as I suspect?

I am still not sure of the exact location of the camels hump so I have come up with this map with 3 proposed routes, based on Cyberman's and Markbaby's posts, as to where it could be. The Routes are lettered A, B, and C.

ROUTE A

This starts between the first 28 bus stop on Raeburn Road after leaving Leighton Road and the first upside down house.

Looking down this run there is a clear stretch of roughly the quoted 200 yards towards the bottom of Leighton Road which is visible in the distance. There is also a footpath which crosses it.

However, there doesn't seem to be a "hump"

ROUTE B

Here is the last upside down house on Raeburn Road, just as it turns to climb the hill towards Raeburn Place where the 3 (now 2) tower blocks stood (stand).

Just up the hill from it, opposite the tower blocks, is a 28 bus stop.

Behind the bus stop is a steep grassy bank which slopes towards Leighton, but it quickly disappears into a fenced off heavily wooded area.

Not much of a camels hump here, just the risk of a collision witha fence or a tree.

ROUTE C

Starts directly behind the 28 bus terminus opposite the entrance to Herdings Park.

The land slopes away very steeply at first which would give a very fast start, a "near vertical drop" as it was called in a previous post.

This would be the view (minus the snow and ice) from the top of the run just as you set off.

However, there is no path crossing it, Leighton Road is nowhere in sight, unless the run is practically a mile long, and the run once again would terminate, again on a rapid downward run, by running into dense woodland with lots of trees to hit.

Then again, should this be the site then the lighter coloured area of grass here would be the legendary camels hump.

Incidentally, this area, as indicated by a sign on a footpath down into it alongside Ironside Road, is called THE LUMB,

Not Jervis Lum (without the "b") this time but the same sort of place, "Lumb / Lum" means (quote from other topic on Jervis Lum) means "a steep sided valley, terminating in a hollow in which water can collect to form a pond"

So Cyberman and Markbaby (and Murray10) is the "Camels Hump" Route A, B, or C?

Or is it some other route I have overlooked and have yet to explore?

The 101 was the first service to run to Leighton Road terminus, extended from Gleadless Townend some time in the 1950s. The 101 (and 102) were withdrawn in the mid 60s and replaced by the 51 (City to Lodge Moor) being extended to Gleadless Townend and the 30 and 105 running to Herdings, with the 30 being the main service and the 105 being peak hours/early mornings only. The 30 was withdrawn in the early 1970s when the 51 was extended to Leighton Road, the 105 lingering (later renumbered 72) for some time.

I can't be more precise with the dates at the moment, as I don't have time to refer to my old timetables.

The Leighton Road terminus doesn't even have a shelter these days

I can remember this bus terminus not having a shelter in about 1960-3 at some point.

I have a memory of being stuck there waiting in heavy snow for a bus to turn up which made it through the snow about 2 hours late (but it did get there). While we were waiting we built a snowman in the gardens in front of the old peoples home. It was about 5 foot tall and was finished before the bus turned up. I was very cold and wet when I got home.

I also remember when there was a shelter in the mid 1970's waiting there for ages talking to an old man who had an artificial leg. In the First World War he lost a foot to a land mine but gangarine kept setting in to the wound so that over the years they had removed his entire leg section by section as the gangrine set in.

My brother will remember waiting there for ages, again in heavy snow, on the evening of my grandmothers funeral in January 1977. He had to take my grandfathers sister to the bus stop and make sure she got on it safe. She was one of those women who never stopped talking and you just couldn't get a word in and she talked him to death all the time until her bus pulled away from the terminus.

Does anyone remember 'The Gardens' shortcut and does anyone know if it still exists? It use to have a small hut of a shop at the townend entrance to the allotments which used to sell a few flowers and compost and other gardening stuff.

Allotments hut is still there and still in business, here are some pictures.

The Leighton Road terminus doesn't even have a shelter these days

The leighton road terminus doesn't even have a bus stop now

Route A was the one I was trying to describe Dave.

It was a very long time ago, and memories fade I'm afraid.

The leighton road terminus doesn't even have a bus stop now

What a loss, it was my favourite bus terminus.

I used it a lot more than the Raeburn Road one, mainly because buses from the Leighton terminus went to town via the Arbourthorne and so formed a convenient run between my parents and grandparents homes.

Route A was the one I was trying to describe Dave.

It was a very long time ago, and memories fade I'm afraid.

Originally I thought it was Route A, but later comments in the topic made me doubt this.

Looks like next time I go down there I will have to "walk the sledge route" to find this legendary camels hump.

Guest Cyberman

Unfortunately none of the routes shown are the Camels Hump. The start of the route was between B and A on your map, about 2/3rds the way towards B. Probably about on the bendiest part of Raeburn Rd. The bottom of the run is off the top of the map as it came out (across the path) onto Leighton Rd just before it starts to bend to the right near to the bottom of the hill. Back in the early 70's the hump its self had a small patch of bushes either side of it, which if now overgrown will doubtless hide its location from view.

Regards, Cyberman.

Unfortunately none of the routes shown are the Camels Hump. The start of the route was between B and A on your map, about 2/3rds the way towards B. Probably about on the bendiest part of Raeburn Rd. The bottom of the run is off the top of the map as it came out (across the path) onto Leighton Rd just before it starts to bend to the right near to the bottom of the hill. Back in the early 70's the hump its self had a small patch of bushes either side of it, which if now overgrown will doubtless hide its location from view.

Regards, Cyberman.

Sounds like I need to take another look.

Next time I am out that way (can't say when that will be) I will take my camera and go once agin in search of the legendary camels hump.

Sounds like I need to take another look.

Next time I am out that way (can't say when that will be) I will take my camera and go once agin in search of the legendary camels hump.

OK I've been and had another look.

I have walked around the back of the upside down houses between sites A and B on my previous map.

There are 2 clearings in the woods all the way down to Leighton Road in this area which I suspect could be the Camels Hump site, both are about the right length and both are crossed by a footpath.

Once you approach site B the woods get thicker and the land starts to slope away from Leighton Road into that area called the Lumb which is nearer to Ironside so I have now ruled this area out.

OK I've been and had another look.

I have walked around the back of the upside down houses between sites A and B on my previous map.

There are 2 clearings in the woods all the way down to Leighton Road in this area which I suspect could be the Camels Hump site, both are about the right length and both are crossed by a footpath.

Once you approach site B the woods get thicker and the land starts to slope away from Leighton Road into that area called the Lumb which is nearer to Ironside so I have now ruled this area out.

The first, ABa, is closer to the Morland Road end and looks like this,-

Notice Leighton Road at the bottom of the hill.

The first, ABa, is closer to the Morland Road end and looks like this,-

Notice Leighton Road at the bottom of the hill.

The second site, ABb, is about half way between the original sites A and B and starts near this small wall, around a path which cuts between the upside down houses onto Raeburn Road, roughly at the point where either Morland Place or the other (high numbers) end of Morland Road meet it.

The view down the sledge run would then look like this, -

Again, notice Leighton Road in the distance at the bottom of the hill.