Clark Family Search

Guest swerv

Guest swerv

Minnie Clark, who lives in New Zealand, is anxious to trace any relatives living in Sheffield and Hull.

The information she gave us is as follows :-

Her father was Harry Markham Clark who was born in Hull and lived in Cox Place, Wisewood Estate, Sheffield before emigrating to New Zealand.

He had a sister, Ivy Beatrice Clark who was born in Hull on Christmas Day 1931 - 34. Her married name may be Connell and she had five children. She lived in Parsons Cross Estate at some point.

Any information about any members of the family would be appreciated.

Minnie's e mail address is minnie@kapitiislandnaturetours.co.nz Thank you.

Guest DoreenC

Hi swerve,

Harry M. Clark's birth was registered in 1936, and Ivy B Clark's in March quarter of 1934 at Sculcoates. The mother's maiden name was Lyon.

A marriage at Sculcoates in 1933 between Harry M. Clark and Ivy B. Lyon.

There is a marriage of Ivy B Clark in March quarter of 1947 at Hull to a John L. Connell. However, this Ivy's surname is given as either Clark or Lyon, which suggests this could be her second marriage.

As the Ivy Beatrice you are wanting to find was born at the end of 1933, this is unlikely to be her marriage.

A marriage at Sheffield in June 1954 of Ivy B. Clark and Douglas W. Nye could be the one you are looking for.

There appears 5 children from this marriage:

Geraldine I. in 1955, Janice E in 1957, Christopher J. in 1958, Gerard R. in 1962 and Sarah Elizabeth in 1968.

It is possible to find some of this family from resources such as 192 etc.

But first, did Harry and Ivy's mum (also Ivy) marry a John Connell?

Regards,

Doreen

Guest swerv

Hi swerve,

Harry M. Clark's birth was registered in 1936, and Ivy B Clark's in March quarter of 1934 at Sculcoates. The mother's maiden name was Lyon.

There is a marriage of Ivy B Clark in March quarter of 1947 at Hull to a John L. Connell. However, this Ivy's surname is given as either Clark or Lyon, which suggests this could be her second marriage.

As the Ivy Beatrice you are wanting to find was born at the end of 1933, this is unlikely to be her marriage.

A marriage at Sheffield in June 1954 of Ivy B. Clark and Douglas W. Nye could be the one you are looking for.

Geraldine I. in 1955, Janice E in 1957, Christopher J. in 1958, Gerard R. in 1962 and Sarah Elizabeth in 1968.

Regards,

Doreen

Guest swerv

Hi Doreen,

Many thanks for your response. I have forwarded it to Minnie in NZ.

It could be that Ivy did marry John Connell because Harry Markham Clark senior went on to marry two more times (Alberta ?? and Eunice Crofts).

Regards,

Swerv

Guest Minnie

Kia ora Doreen,

My name is Minnie, you sent me the information about my dad's family. Thank you sooo much for sending this. I am hoping to locate my dad's sister (my aunty) and/or her children (my cousins). He hasn't heard from her since he left England when he was about 16yrs old. He is now 74. Is there anywhere you would recommend I start looking?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Minnie

P.S. I live in New Zealand. I would love to find my aunty before my dad leaves this world. And I would love to contact my cousins.

Hi swerve,

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

Kia ora,

Thank you so much for putting this info up on this site. As you can see Doreen has left some very helpful information. I have now registered with this site and have left a message thanking Doreen for helping out.

So appreciate you putting this on here for me....this really made my year.

Take care,

Arohanui (lots of love)

Minnie - from Kapiti Island, New Zealand.

Minnie Clark, who lives in New Zealand, is anxious to trace any relatives living in Sheffield and Hull.

The information she gave us is as follows :-

Her father was Harry Markham Clark who was born in Hull and lived in Cox Place, Wisewood Estate, Sheffield before emigrating to New Zealand.

He had a sister, Ivy Beatrice Clark who was born in Hull on Christmas Day 1931 - 34. Her married name may be Connell and she had five children. She lived in Parsons Cross Estate at some point.

Any information about any members of the family would be appreciated.

Minnie's e mail address is minnie@kapitiislandnaturetours.co.nz Thank you.

Guest DoreenC

Hi swerv and Minnie,

I won't go into everything I've found (I can send you that later), just what I think is the best lead so far. Another member may have better information.

192.com give some free information re telephone numbers, addresses, electoral rolls, but require a subscription to access all their records, which I don't have.

Gerard R.F. Nye birth reg. at Sheffield June 1962. Mother's maiden name was Clark.

2002-2003 electoral roll, South Yorkshire, has Gerard R. Nye and a Lisa Mellon at the same address

Marriage at Sheffield June 2004 Gerard R. Foster-Nye and a Lisa Mellon. This is also entered as Gerard R. Nye with same reference number.

2011 electoral roll, South Yorkshire, has a Lisa Foster-Nye and a Gerard Foster at the same address.

I really hope this works out for you.

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

That's fantastic information Doreen. I will register with 192.com and see how I get on there. I am thrilled to have the info you have given me so far.....I can't thank you enough. I will try search these names on facebook and see how I get on there too.

Have a great day/evening.

Regards,

Minnie

Hi swerv and Minnie,

I won't go into everything I've found (I can send you that later), just what I think is the best lead so far. Another member may have better information.

192.com give some free information re telephone numbers, addresses, electoral rolls, but require a subscription to access all their records, which I don't have.

Gerard R.F. Nye birth reg. at Sheffield June 1962. Mother's maiden name was Clark.

2002-2003 electoral roll, South Yorkshire, has Gerard R. Nye and a Lisa Mellon at the same address

Marriage at Sheffield June 2004 Gerard R. Foster-Nye and a Lisa Mellon. This is also entered as Gerard R. Nye with same reference number.

2011 electoral roll, South Yorkshire, has a Lisa Foster-Nye and a Gerard Foster at the same address.

I really hope this works out for you.

Regards,

Doreen

Guest DoreenC

Minnie,

I should have added that there is an Ivy B. Nye age 65+ South Yorkshire on the 2011 electoral roll.

Sorry!

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

Thanks Doreen.

I have emailed another family member and since found out this.....

"About their mother remarrying someone called Connell . in 1947. Ivy

the mother we learn left Harry while he was in the army and the 2 children (that's my dad Harry jnr and his sister Ivy jnr) were brought up by the grandmother in Sculcoates (an inner

area of hull ). The 1954 marriage of Ivy and a Douglas Nye would almost certainly be the one you want. We went to see Ivy in 1962/63 for a very brief half hour visit and I remember there being small children present and a new born in a pram.............this would we assume be Gerard. I am really scraping the bottom of my memory box but am sure that was the situation. They lived in an area called Southy Green ( Sheffield ) and the house was situated either on Herries Road or

one running alongside of it. "

This is from my grand dads 3rd wife's daughter & son-in-law.

They also said......"In June of this year we will be in Sheffield and if you could establish some contact with any one of them we could further gather more info from them. "

Gee, it would be amazing if I get in contact with my UK relations.....very exciting what you have told me so far......absolutely chuffed.

I have sent a facebook message to a Gerard Nye who is from the UK and lives here in New Zealand....I am so hoping he is one of my aunt's children.

Thanks again Doreen.

Regards,

Minnie

Minnie,

I should have added that there is an Ivy B. Nye age 65+ South Yorkshire on the 2011 electoral roll.

Sorry!

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

So if this is my aunty, she is still alive! Fantastic, fingers and toes crossed.

Regards,

Minnie

Thanks Doreen.

I have emailed another family member and since found out this.....

"About their mother remarrying someone called Connell . in 1947. Ivy

the mother we learn left Harry while he was in the army and the 2 children (that's my dad Harry jnr and his sister Ivy jnr) were brought up by the grandmother in Sculcoates (an inner

area of hull ). The 1954 marriage of Ivy and a Douglas Nye would almost certainly be the one you want. We went to see Ivy in 1962/63 for a very brief half hour visit and I remember there being small children present and a new born in a pram.............this would we assume be Gerard. I am really scraping the bottom of my memory box but am sure that was the situation. They lived in an area called Southy Green ( Sheffield ) and the house was situated either on Herries Road or

one running alongside of it. "

This is from my grand dads 3rd wife's daughter & son-in-law.

They also said......"In June of this year we will be in Sheffield and if you could establish some contact with any one of them we could further gather more info from them. "

Gee, it would be amazing if I get in contact with my UK relations.....very exciting what you have told me so far......absolutely chuffed.

I have sent a facebook message to a Gerard Nye who is from the UK and lives here in New Zealand....I am so hoping he is one of my aunt's children.

Thanks again Doreen.

Regards,

Minnie

Guest DoreenC

Hi Minnie,

Oh, I how I hope we have the right family. I just love happy endings!

I have found some possible contacts on Genes Reunited. I have sent a message to one, who I think is a son of Janice E. born 1957. If she is a daughter of the Ivy B. you are looking for she is probably living in the Doncaster area.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

Correction to my last message....

I have sent a facebook message to a Gerard Nye who is from the UK and lives in Plymouth in the UK.

Still fingers crossed this is one of my cousins.

Regards,

Minnie

Hi Minnie,

Oh, I how I hope we have the right family. I just love happy endings!

I have found some possible contacts on Genes Reunited. I have sent a message to one, who I think is a son of Janice E. born 1957. If she is a daughter of the Ivy B. you are looking for she is probably living in the Doncaster area.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Doreen

Guest DoreenC

Hi Minnie,

I 've managed to find a Gerard R. Nye living in Sheffield 8 and an Ivy B. Nye living in Sheffield 5. Sheffield 5 is the Southey Green area of Sheffield, so this looks promising. I've just been on the telephone to a friend in Sheffield who's looked in the phone book....not listed.

Sheffield Star, the main local newspaper, have a contact column. Worth a try? email fiona.firth@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk

Found, and been in contact with a daughter! I am emailing Minnie with phone number and address

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

More good news, thanks so much Doreen.

Hi Minnie,

I 've managed to find a Gerard R. Nye living in Sheffield 8 and an Ivy B. Nye living in Sheffield 5. Sheffield 5 is the Southey Green area of Sheffield, so this looks promising. I've just been on the telephone to a friend in Sheffield who's looked in the phone book....not listed.

Sheffield Star, the main local newspaper, have a contact column. Worth a try? email fiona.firth@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk

Found, and been in contact with a daughter! I am emailing Minnie with phone number and address

Regards,

Doreen

Guest Minnie

I am over the moon. I have just found out the bestest news in years.....this is as good as winning lotto for me. Thanks to Doreen C & Swerve, I have found my Aunty and cousins from my dads side of my whanau (family). My dad hasn't seen or been in contact with his sister for over 50yrs. I will be ringing my long lost cousin (who I have never met) tonight. They live in the UK and we live in New Zealand.

Talked to my cousin who I have just found. She is 56yrs young. Great conversation. Found out my grandmother only passed away 4yrs ago at 91yrs. Shame I didn't get to know her. My aunty and cousins are all still alive and well. Bring on some skype calls/emails/photo sending. Can't wait to get to know them all.

It was so exciting to talk with my cousin last night. My dad was here and talked to her as well. I know she had to get ready for work and totally understand she couldn’t talk for too long. I just appreciate she was happy for us to contact her….it was great.

She is going to give my email address to her daughter, who will hopefully email me then we can send her photos and she can send us some. I am so looking forward to getting to know them all. It is fantastic that we have finally found them.

I have since talked to my cousin again today and she has emailed me a photo of my dad’s sister and other family members. This is soooo good.

I still cant thank Doreen enough for getting us in contact with my family……Doreen you are an angel, I'm sure.

An absolute happy ending to a family search......thank you to Swerve for getting this ball rolling for us. I can't thank you enough either for offering to take what little information I had and putting it on this website. You are amazing people too.

Regards and best wishes to you all,

Minnie

Guest Minnie

Well, we are now at Sheffield, England with my Aunty and meeting all my cousins.

Flights to the UK went smoothly.....27hrs of flying in total out of 38hrs. Arrived at Manchester airport, we caught the train from Manchester to Sheffield. From Sheffield train station we caught a taxi to my Aunty Ivys. My dad and her met at the front door, they both looked very pleased to see each other and had a hug then it was time for a cup of tea and lots of talking. After 53+ yrs they finally got to see each other.

We have a hire car now and have since been staying with my Aunty and we took her and 1 of my cousins down to Newquay for 3 nights…..to see another cousin. It was great. We went out for the day to St Ives and a day in Newquay. Drove home to Sheffield yesterday. We are going to Hull tomorrow to have a look around. We are also going to Hebden for a few nights next week.

It is soooo good to be here and for my dad and his sister to be spending lots of time together….reminiscing.

Regards and best wishes everyone,

Minnie

All sounding good ! If you get a little further back (Sheffield-wise) please let me know - I'll see if I can help (or raise interest amonst the moderators) - I'm only useful pre-1900 - but willing to try ....

Hope you have a great visit and that you find the maximum amount you can.

Take lots of pictures and post what you can - old buildings etc, a favourite of mine.

There is always the option of emailling pictures to SheffieldHistory@gmail.com - that address goes out to anyone - pictures can be posted on your behalf - with or without supporting details and with or without your name - we love mystery pictures - hours of fun when the TV is rubbish !

Free, Polite, Helpful - that's us.

Well, we are now at Sheffield, England with my Aunty and meeting all my cousins.

Flights to the UK went smoothly.....27hrs of flying in total out of 38hrs. Arrived at Manchester airport, we caught the train from Manchester to Sheffield. From Sheffield train station we caught a taxi to my Aunty Ivys. My dad and her met at the front door, they both looked very pleased to see each other and had a hug then it was time for a cup of tea and lots of talking. After 53+ yrs they finally got to see each other.

We have a hire car now and have since been staying with my Aunty and we took her and 1 of my cousins down to Newquay for 3 nights…..to see another cousin. It was great. We went out for the day to St Ives and a day in Newquay. Drove home to Sheffield yesterday. We are going to Hull tomorrow to have a look around. We are also going to Hebden for a few nights next week.

It is soooo good to be here and for my dad and his sister to be spending lots of time together….reminiscing.

Regards and best wishes everyone,

Minnie