Australian Imperial Force

Guest Reddles

Guest Reddles

Hi,

Bit random but is linked to a Sheffield lad.

Have a family member who went to Australia just before WW1. He joined up with the AIF in 1914, I think it is probably an understatement to say that like all of them he saw a lot of action from Gallipoli to France (I have the war diaries and am in complete awe and gratitude!) He was killed in action in August 1917 and lies where he fell near Lille. He is remembered at the Menin Gate and we hope to go this year to pay our respects now that we have discovered all this!

All my research has been through the National Archives of Australia which are very good, but does anyone know about any records or acknowledgement in the UK of the contribution of our Brits who were overseas when they signed up?

Guest Trefcon

Hi Reddles,

who was he ?

No doubt you've got his service papers, in full colour and not 'weeded/culled' over the years !! puts ours to shame so it does! (oh, and not 'Blitzed' ! )

I dont know of any specific 'thing' that commemorates these emigrants other than what their adopted country have done for them. I do though as far as i know have 'most' of these men in my files, and i bet some of them are commenorated on various Rolls and Memorials around the country, put there by relatives who stayed in England. I think i have about 300 + from Australia, also Canadians, New Zealanders etc.

Dean.

Guest Reddles

Hi Reddles,

who was he ?

No doubt you've got his service papers, in full colour and not 'weeded/culled' over the years !! puts ours to shame so it does! (oh, and not 'Blitzed' ! )

I dont know of any specific 'thing' that commemorates these emigrants other than what their adopted country have done for them. I do though as far as i know have 'most' of these men in my files, and i bet some of them are commenorated on various Rolls and Memorials around the country, put there by relatives who stayed in England. I think i have about 300 + from Australia, also Canadians, New Zealanders etc.

Dean.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for responding, yes the service records are in fantastic order, including a letter stating he was unfit for duty and should be sent home which was then countermanded! How often did that happen!

Gunner Hugh Brooke, 3706. 1st Division Australian Trench Mortar Battery

from Wortley.

RIP

Guest Trefcon

Hi Reddles,

he's there in my files.

He will appear in time in a major data base being worked on by myself and two others from this forum, stuart0742 and Madannie, they wont be forgotten.

Dean.

Guest Reddles

Fantastic and a MASSIVE thank you to you and the gang for putting it all together and giving our 'old soldiers' the respect and recognition they deserve.