Old Heavygate Inn, Matlock Road, Sheffield 6

Guest Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

This was my parents first pub that they managed for Whitbread Brewery , they moved in after the licensee Albert Allison retired in 1969.

The brewery updated the premises putting the toilets inside etc to what it is today ......that is if it's still open , does anyone know ??

Barbara M

This photo was taken the day they moved in as Albert Allisons name is still over the door !!

Hi Barbara M

I don't know whether it's still open but I do remember going in there in the

late 60s to early 70s. I'm surprised at the date on the front, I didn't realize it was that old.

1696. :o

Guest Barbara M

Yes , I was surprised too......when my parents took over part of the upstairs was a " Club Room " , I remember thinking it was like the Dickens book with all the cobwebs hanging down , the one with the wedding breakfast !! It hadn't been used for years & there was lots of pots & plates etc , don't know what happened to those !!

In the picture is the outside toilets that the men used & if any women went in , Mum let them use their toilet upstairs !!

There was a snooker room in what is now the lounge & the men carried there pints from the bar through what was the private kitchen & my Grandmother was sat watching the T.V & she spoke to them all as they passed through....she was very popular !!

After about 3/4 years my parents moved to the Red Lion in Bridgegate , Rotherham & finally retired from the Dene Brook, Dalton Parva, Rotherham in the mid '80's.

Mum said she was glad she had done it as they took the pub late in life, in their 40's , and of coarse we followed in their footsteps !!

Barbara

This was my parents first pub that they managed for Whitbread Brewery , they moved in after the licensee Albert Allison retired in 1969.

The brewery updated the premises putting the toilets inside etc to what it is today ......that is if it's still open , does anyone know ??

Barbara M

This photo was taken the day they moved in as Albert Allisons name is still over the door !!

A fine, photographic update. Thank you Barbara M.

I've added photot to a-z

does the open date want altering or is it not the right kind of evidence ?

I would make mention of the date stone, but not alter the opening date.

For new Members, we record the best (documented somewhere) opening and closing dates (where available).

The evidence required beyond that is a persons name, a premises name (which may be derived from existing data; address etc), a date (year) and some form of address.

The address is a bit "woolly" - Street numbers have a habit of wandering - even for very well known pubs/premises. The address may even be a district e.g. Bridgehouses.

Is there any evidence that the Heavygate was a pub or beerhouse earlier than our opening date ? It could have been an isolated farmhouse stuck halfway up a mountain ...

Guest Barbara M

The pub is at the top of Cromwell Street , & my father was told that it was originaly a farmhouse where Cromwell wartered his horses in the civil war BUT is the date a little late for that ?

This is supposedly where Cromwell Street gets it's name from. This is possibly hearsay but can it be verefied by the local library in Walkley ,

I no longer live in Sheffield so can't go myself but have we anybody who lives in Walkley who can check up ?

Barbara

The pub is at the top of Cromwell Street , & my father was told that it was originaly a farmhouse where Cromwell wartered his horses in the civil war BUT is the date a little late for that ?

This is supposedly where Cromwell Street gets it's name from. This is possibly hearsay but can it be verefied by the local library in Walkley ,

I no longer live in Sheffield so can't go myself but have we anybody who lives in Walkley who can check up ?

Barbara

Cromwell died from Malaria about 40 years before.

Oliver Cromwell was born on April 25, 1599, in Huntingdon, eastern England

Oliver Cromwell died on September 3 at the age of 59 in 1658 due to malaria.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/10_facts_about_oliver_cromwell

Guest Barbara M

Yes , and the civil war was 1642 to 1649......so that is out then, shows you can't believe all that you are told no matter the source !!

I am now going to " Google " the name of the pub & see what comes up, watch this space !!

Barbara.

Guest Barbara M

In the 17th century Walkley was connected to the village of Owlerton by the pack horse track which ascended Walkley Lane and continued to Crookes, it became a turnpike road and a heavy gate was placed across the road where tolls were collected.[2] The Old Heavygate Inn was constructed at this point in 1696 and still stands today, it has walls two feet thick.[1] Although local folk etymology says that Heavygate Road is named after a heavy gate, it is actually from heavy meaning muddy or hard going (as in races) and gate meaning road (as in Fargate, Waingate, Baxtergate

I found this on Wickipedia.......but I don't always trust the info on there !! I also found a referance on Sheffield Forum saying that the pub was originally a Toll House.

Barbara.

Guest bingdong-9

Barbara M

Hi barbara M

Iv been searching for some history on the old heavygate inn but no luck until i found this site,Im pleased to tell ya that it is still open, my friend is running it at the moment and im living in the flat above, But the thing is i feel im not on my own, If ya know what i mean. So was just wondering if you had anymore information on it please. As there is a strong, but very unplesant presence from the other side... I hope to here from ya soon. bingdong-9

Guest bingdong-9

Barbara M

Guest bingdong-9

Hi barbra M

the, old heavygate inn. Is open my friend is curently running it. Im actually living in the flat above, and would love to find out a little more history of it, the reason for this is that when the pub as closed there are some really strange going on's and can be very uncomfatable. I hope to here from you soon. bingdong-9

Guest Barbara M

Hi barbra M

the, old heavygate inn. Is open my friend is curently running it. Im actually living in the flat above, and would love to find out a little more history of it, the reason for this is that when the pub as closed there are some really strange going on's and can be very uncomfatable. I hope to here from you soon. bingdong-9

I am pleased the Heavygate is still open, we had many happy hours in the pub, my parents ,myself , my husband & any staff used to have a drink after time but I never noticed any spirits except the ones in the upsidedown bottles !!!

My grandmother lived with them at that time & I would have said if there was any paranormal activity going on she would have known as she regulary spoke to her mother who had been dead years !!

Is there any one local who knows the pub & its history that can help ......??

Let me know if you find anything out.

Barbara M .

Guest Barbara M

Oh what a sorry state this is in . there used to be old cottages in the front of the pub but these were pulled down just after the renovation on the pub started in c1969, does anyone know if it is a listed building as it is still left standing ?

P.S My husband was talking to a friend who lives on Slinn Street & he told him that rumour has it that they are going to change the existing building into flats.

This is what we have in the A-Z

Old Heavygate
Wharncliffe Road or 114 Matlock Road, S6
Open 1871 Closed Span 137
Comments - 114 Matlock Road - (Date stone above door reads 1696.)

1871 William Osborn
1937 Albert Allison [ 114 Matlock Road ]
1938 Albert Allison
1939 Albert Allison
1942 Albert Allison
1944 Albert Allison
1948 Albert Allison

however, 114 Matlock Road was occupied by Samuel Cartwright as a beerhouse in White's 1905.

William Gresham Beckett as a beer retailer in White's Directory of 1911, so presumably still a beerhouse.

and by Herbert Shaw as a beerhouse keeper (1919-1925)

More recently managed by the 'two Ronnies' for many years who left around 2003/2004...all downhill from then on and a travesty this place is being turned in to flats