Mini Bus station bottom of Snig Hill/Bridge Street

Guest mackyD

Guest mackyD

I seem to remember a row of bus stops like a mini bus station at the end of Bridge street/bottom of Snig Hill ~ had to be in the 70's, but can't recall when it disappeared.

There's a picture of it in this thead .... Dobbs Paint

I can remember when the 57 Stocksbridge bus ran from there, but sorry can't tell you when it ceased to be used.

Here is another shot of it in the fifties from Picture Sheffield We used to catch the 150/151 bus to firth park there. I remember when going for a drink in town the last bus would leave at 11.15pm. The bus inspector would stand on the centre island and blow his whistle and it would be like the start of the Le Mans car race. All the buses would set of at once with the drivers jockeying for position.

I TOO USED TO CATCH THE 150/151 TO SICEY HOTEL OR HORSESHOE ON BELLHOUSE ROAD FROM BRIDGE STREET BUS STATION. THESE BUSES NOW BEING THE 47/48. AND I ALSO CAUGHT THE 110,PARSON CROSS, 49 WORDSWORTH AVE AND 89 YEW LANE FROM THIS STOP.HOW THE CONVENIENT TIMES HAVE CHANGED,WHEN BUSES WENT WERE WE WANTED THEM TO GO, INSTEAD OF A MILLIONAIRE SHAREHOLDER FROM ABERDEEN WANTING THEM TO GO WERE HE CAN MAKE HIMSELF RICHER.

I guess someone has to mention the public toilets down there. They hoestley used to scare me as a kid all theat brown porcelain and those smells he he

Those corrugated tin and tube bus shelter were in place until the mid to late 1970s.

Then about 1980 they stopped using the place and knocked everything down what seemed like overnight.

As well as the toilets, bus shelters there was an little driver/conductor and inspectors "office". More like shed.

All the buildings were painted dark blue, if memory serves... often it doesn't :(

Also a newsagents kiosk along the back... again a tin shack affair

Guest plain talker

When I lived on the Parson Cross, in the early eighties, my bus still went from there. Id say it was about 84 or so that the bus station at bridge street stopped being used. TheSheffield Centre Against Unemployment ("SCAU") were based in the odd, semi-circular-rooved pre-fabby buildings just by the bus station till about 84/5, when they moved to the Prefab on West street,

Guest jossman

The lads from Hillsborough and school mates from the Firth Park area used to meet there to go to "Winstons" the gents outfitters on Snig Hill, the only place to get Teddy Boy suits, cut away collar shirts, brothel creepers and slim jim ties. This would be about 1959.

Guest shezza91

I can remember this bus station/terminus, an the shadow of "Woolens for signs" lit up in the background.

Yes in the early Sixties as kids we used to catch the No 150 bellhouse road bus, I think the sicey ave bus was the No 151, the building at the side of the bus stops was called "Civil Defence" , does anybody remember Grays Motorcycles, just at the bottom under Westons,we used to go in there and look at all the Bikes, used to sit on them all pretending we were in the TT, I remember a MASSIVE motorbike in the front window it was called a "Vincent" "Black night" I think it was a 1000cc

Engine ,which in those days seemed MASSIVE, as my 1st bike was a BSA Bantam 125cc. :)