Sketchley's Sheffield Directory

Guest spandau1918

Guest spandau1918

Does anyone know if "Sketchley's Sheffield Directory" of 1774 is available anywhere?

Does anyone know if "Sketchley's Sheffield Directory" of 1774 is available anywhere?

Hello and Welcome Spandau1918.

Not that I'm aware of, otherwise I would have bought it already.

Having said that, I've so much "stuff" that I don't even comprehend where and what it all is ...

Love to know if it is available also. May be some scans that someone has.

Best Wishes

Bewildered of SheffieldHistory.

Guest spandau1918

Hello and Welcome Spandau1918.

Not that I'm aware of, otherwise I would have bought it already.

Having said that, I've so much "stuff" that I don't even comprehend where and what it all is ...

Love to know if it is available also. May be some scans that someone has.

Best Wishes

Bewildered of SheffieldHistory.

RichardB, thank you for the reply. I noticed that some time back a member posted some scans of some of the makers marks on blades from Sketchley's. In particular I was interested in the makers marks of the Proctors who were cutlers at that time. Thanks again for all the help!

RichardB, thank you for the reply. I noticed that some time back a member posted some scans of some of the makers marks on blades from Sketchley's. In particular I was interested in the makers marks of the Proctors who were cutlers at that time. Thanks again for all the help!

Please email the details you have, Member name, date, anything you have on Proctors - i'll see if I can help. I wasn't joking about the quantity of stuff I have and how little control I have of it.

I've bought every Trade Directory I've ever seen; downloaded everything I've come across - the result is stores of information all over the place with no real idea of what I've got and what I haven't - but, if we known what you know and what your questions are - we may make progress - notice the change from "I" to "we" - some folks are less bewildered than me.

Email SheffieldHistory@Gmail.com - a grown-up maintains that email address, not me (though it is my address) - he is, however, good at letting me know I've mail to attend to.

Sorry to sound pathetic, but, I've posted a lot of stuff on here; which has taken a lot of research/time; I've also received an awful lot of PersonalMessages and I can't cope with them either.

Guest jill g

Are you familiar with WorldCat, an international library loan service? You can find the book there.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/sketchleys-sheffield-directory-including-the-manufacturing-villages-in-the-neighbourhood/oclc/20311249&referer=brief_results

I believe it's also available from Amazon.

~ Jill

Just for interest (and no, it's not Sketchley's Directory, put yer teeth back in !)

Ah, thanks,so now we know the interest in Proctor.

George Washington also had a Barlow knife from Stannington.

Has Sketchley's ever shown it's head as a product to buy, I'd still love a read of it ?

Not to my knowledge, only a reference copy at local studies. The Gales and Martin reprints are available. More reliable as well.

The lack of reliability is probably what makes it of interest; potential for unknown place names (Greenhouse) and alternative street names (Petticoatlane); plus a resource of names not seen before or confirmation of other peoples names and maybe occupations.

Not to my knowledge, only a reference copy at local studies. The Gales and Martin reprints are available. More reliable as well.

Here's an abstract from Sketchley's Directory printed in the Independent in 1872:

attachicon.gifSketchleys abstract.png

Thanks, Spotted knives are a bit of a mystery to me, especially the gradation of prices. They then soon disappear as a category entirely!

I have explored the William Dyson (See "Shotnell" posts) and currently looking at Charles et al. (See "Bingley House post") If anyone can help further I would be grateful.

Charles father (Abraham b1716) lived at Hallcliff/e Farm Stannington. Little info and no photograph of farm seems to exist, it was demolished in the 1960s, Abraham died here in 1773. A cutler named John Leadbeter was at Hilltop (Sketchley 1774) and resident at Hallcliff in 1793 (Cut. Co. records)