Sheffield's Oldest Shop To Close

Stuart0742

After 132 years Pollards Tea & Coffee shop is to close

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9410000/9410358.stm

After 132 years Pollards Tea & Coffee shop is to close

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9410000/9410358.stm

A pity :(

Didn't realise it was Sheffields oldest shop.

Richard would have us believe that Sheffield's oldest shop is Mrs Miggins Ye Olde Pie Shoppe! lol

Paul finds employment

Just for reference.

Not the reply I expected you to come back with Richard.

I was sure it was going to be a Mrs Miggins reference!

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing really. lol

Not the reply I expected you to come back with Richard.

I was sure it was going to be a Mrs Miggins reference!

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing really. lol

Saddened by the closure; not a place I had much to do with, but I was 19 when I left 30 years ago - wasn't of interest at that age. Brought it home a bit to read of isolation and the whole area once being a good retail area - which is obviously not now the case.

A recent death in the wife's family didn't do much to improve my life. Sorry, not your fault, obviously. Just not a great day for me.

Hopefully The Mythical Adventures of Mrs Miggins Pie-Shoppe will continue when the mysts disperse a bit. I enjoy her life story as we make it up.

From the Star 3/3/11

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield_folk_bid_farewell_to_a_way_of_life_1_3136233

P & J Pollard, Grocer, tea and coffee shop.

191 Glossop Road

(Is this still Glossop Road or have they moved by 1979 ?)

13th September 1979

According to the article in tonight's Star they moved to Charles St in 1979, but opposite the present Store, that I can't remember, I thought it had always been at its current location whilst at Charles St.

According to the article in tonight's Star they moved to Charles St in 1979, but opposite the present Store, that I can't remember, I thought it had always been at its current location whilst at Charles St.

I only remember it on the other side from Sexy Rexy's ... if that helps. I left Sheffield in 1981.

I only remember it on the other side from Sexy Rexy's ... if that helps. I left Sheffield in 1981.

So it must have moved across the Rd after 1981 then

Courtesy Google SV

So it must have moved across the Rd after 1981 then

Courtesy Google SV

Present shop location is the only one I ever knew Pollards at, not that I was taking a deal of notice of it back then.

Guest SuzyC

191 Glossop Road

25th May 1974

My Aunty (age 89) was very upset by this news. She was a frequent customer in her days as a sister in the Casualty Dept. at the Royal Hospital on West Street and says she seems to remember they were on the corner of Division Street at one time. (her memory may be failing, I don´t know as I cannot remember the shop) -

My Aunty (age 89) was very upset by this news. She was a frequent customer in her days as a sister in the Casualty Dept. at the Royal Hospital on West Street and says she seems to remember they were on the corner of Division Street at one time. (her memory may be failing, I don´t know as I cannot remember the shop) -

Correct or not, it's best to take the memories and to then investigate those.

A bit like the Pubs, Tsavo and me discussed them at length (it was my research, Tsavo was a good friend) - eventually we decided to "publish and be damned" - later contributors provided construcive critisim and that's where we are now - much enriched by research/input - with a great resource.

Post up what you can please - this is for everyone, there is no money being made here - I can think of the money spent by Trefcon and me over the years - make your eyes water.

Someday, it will be history or may contribute to our collective knowledge - and whoever, whatever - thats what should matter on this site.

Thanks for the input SuzyC.

191 Glossop Road

13th September 1979

The Star RETRO picture feature this weekend was all about Pollards.

The first Pollards was on Convent Walk

They had a shop on Glossop Road from before 1910 (of which there is a photo) and this shop closed in 1979.

Says they moved to Charles Street in 1996 after 30 years in a shop just around the corner (so from 1966 then?)

Also have branches in Leeds and Meadowhall.

The Star RETRO picture feature this weekend was all about Pollards.

The first Pollards was on Convent Walk

They had a shop on Glossop Road from before 1910 (of which there is a photo) and this shop closed in 1979.

Says they moved to Charles Street in 1996 after 30 years in a shop just around the corner (so from 1966 then?)

Also have branches in Leeds and Meadowhall.

Polite request for copies of all issues of Retro; how often do they issue these please ?

Polite request for copies of all issues of Retro; how often do they issue these please ?

Its a supplement in every Saturdays Star

I had it in mind it was a "now and then" publication - wrong again !

In The Star every Saturday, current weeks RETRO is issue number 59, so it has been going just over a year.

It consists mainly of photos of Sheffeield people and places, but being a newspaper the main focus is on people over the years.

Most of the pictures are from The Star's own extensive archive or ones that have been donated by readers. As such I am hesitant to scan and post much of the material as I am sure there would be copyright implications.

In The Star every Saturday, current weeks RETRO is issue number 59, so it has been going just over a year.

It consists mainly of photos of Sheffeield people and places, but being a newspaper the main focus is on people over the years.

Most of the pictures are from The Star's own extensive archive or ones that have been donated by readers. As such I am hesitant to scan and post much of the material as I am sure there would be copyright implications.

Got to be worth asking permission from The Star ?

Got to be worth asking permission from The Star ?

Come off it Richard,

The Star will SELL you a copy of any of their photos for quite a high price (but then again, not totally unreasonable for a high quality professional photograph!) while still retaining the copyright on it themselves.

They are hardly likely to want their archive made freely available on the Internet.

If they did I am sure they would have done it for themselves by now.

191 Glossop Road

13th September 1979

Hard to tell but it could well be, look at the drop in the kerb and the brickwork.

Your Aunty is not far out SuzyC,

Pollards once stood on a corner, it was on the corner of Glossop Rd. and Fitzwilliam Street.

link to .. picturesheffield

Image courtesy of Google

Hard to tell but it could well be, look at the drop in the kerb and the brickwork.

Your Aunty is not far out SuzyC,

Pollards once stood on a corner, it was on the corner of Glossop Rd. and Fitzwilliam Street.

link to .. picturesheffield

Image courtesy of Google

If you look at this picture you can see the big cranes and gantry which were located on Devonshire Green. It was part of the prefabrication works which they used whilst building Broomhall Flats.

I suppose the date given is correct but I would have thought it was a bit later. Perhaps they were just building the plant at the time.

Guest transit

Come off it Richard,

The Star will SELL you a copy of any of their photos for quite a high price (but then again, not totally unreasonable for a high quality professional photograph!) while still retaining the copyright on it themselves.

They are hardly likely to want their archive made freely available on the Internet.

If they did I am sure they would have done it for themselves by now.

... i just hope all the pics in the archives are in safe hands !? , as the whole future of "The Star" ,as a publication , must be on fragile grounds as more and more people turn to the web , and buying customers decrease ? (for example Dave - the superb Gleadless.web pics on their site , which just vanished!?)

If you look at this picture you can see the big cranes and gantry which were located on Devonshire Green. It was part of the prefabrication works which they used whilst building Broomhall Flats.

I suppose the date given is correct but I would have thought it was a bit later. Perhaps they were just building the plant at the time.

I think the date given is about spot on. A mate of mine worked as an "electrician" on the flats. Even the electrical wiring systems were prefabricated in a factory somewhere and all the builders had to do was bend nails around the already wired conduits to hold them to the walls and then skim the plaster over them. The only skilled job was the second-fix of the fittings when the walls were finished. I went to have a look and most of the installations looked a bit suspect to my eye at least. At the time I'd just finished my 5 year apprenticeship as a skilled sparks and I think my mate had about a weeks training.

HD