Melvyn Ramshaw

John Scholefield

Melvyn Ramshaw was the son of Thomas Ramshaw and Lillian Scholefield, he had a sister called Joyce.

Lillian was my great aunt.

Melvyn (Melvin?) was captured at Dunkirk, force marched back to a POW camp all the way to Germany (Poland?). He was injured at Dunkirk, lost an eye.

He was a keen and talented (apparently) violinist.

Is there any family out there who know this story.?

Was Melvin your relative.?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lillian was born around 1890, that all I know apart from the fact that in 1911 she was a domestic servant.

If they married I guess it was after 1911.

Cheers

John

Melvyn Ramshaw was the son of Thomas Ramshaw and Lillian Scholefield, he had a sister called Joyce.

Lillian was my great aunt.

Melvyn (Melvin?) was captured at Dunkirk, force marched back to a POW camp all the way to Germany (Poland?). He was injured at Dunkirk, lost an eye.

He was a keen and talented (apparently) violinist.

Is there any family out there who know this story.?

Was Melvin your relative.?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lillian was born around 1890, that all I know apart from the fact that in 1911 she was a domestic servant.

If they married I guess it was after 1911.

Cheers

John

Thomas W Ramshaw & Lily Scholefield were married June qtr 1915 , Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 798. Melvin W Ramshaw was born Dec qtr 1917 , Barton I 8c 866 ( Barton is in Lancs). Joyce Ramshaw was born March qtr 1922, Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 827 ( Ecclesall Bierlow is south Sheffield).

From FreeBMD it looks as though Thomas was either Thomas William Ramshaw or Thomas Waller Ramshaw born in Durham - you need to get their marraige certificate to be certain.

If Lily was born in Sheffield then she waas born Sep qtr 1891 Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 335.

John

Guest Paul Skoyles

MELVIN Ramshaw was my great uncle... Joyce Ramshaw. Was my grandmother. MELVIN was a signal corp rider and was captured at Dunkirk. He was sent to 2 POW camps in Poland... he escaped from the first one.

Guest Paul Skoyles

I actually met Lily as a young boy in the early 70's.... Melvin passed in the late 70s and Joyce passed last year.

Melvin was married and his wife ( who might be still alive) lives in Wigan. We use to have pictures of them all including Lily until 5 years ago when my Moms house caught fire and we lost all our archives

M. W. Ramshaw

Army Number: 2328856

Regiment: Royal Signals

POW Number: 7393

Camp Type: Stalag

Camp Number: 344

Camp Location: Lambinowice, Poland

Record Office: Royal Signals Record Office, Caversham, Reading, Berkshire

Record Office Number: 10

Guest Paul Skoyles

M. W. Ramshaw

Guest Paul Skoyles

M. W. Ramshaw

Hi Paul

For major technical reasons I have only just received notification of this response. Thank You its brilliant news. Melvyn would have been my 1st cousin once removed , his father Thomas was my great Uncle by marriage. He married my Great Aunt Lilly.

Do you know anything about Melvin being a violinist .? Can you tell me all the family tree from Melvin downwards..? If you could send any info to scholefieldj@yahoo.co.uk that would be great.

Many thanks for the response.