St Mary's Church

mick851

Can anybody help with this please, When they widened the roads around St. Mary's church on Bramall lane, what happened to the graves, was they re buried at St. Mary's or moved to a different place?

also, how do i go about trying to locate a grave there? ( that's if it hasn't been moved when they did the road improvements )

mick

Can anybody help with this please, When they widened the roads around St. Mary's church on Bramall lane, what happened to the graves, was they re buried at St. Mary's or moved to a different place?

also, how do i go about trying to locate a grave there? ( that's if it hasn't been moved when they did the road improvements )

mick

Presumably they would have been removed and reburied elsewhere. It's a long shot but you might try asking at South Yorkshire Archaeology, they're part of the Planning Dept. They also administer the South Yorkshire Sites and Monuments Record. It's just possible they might have some record.

mick

The road widening of St. Mary's Gate took place in 1974 and a large part of the church graveyard closest to the road was exhumed for the widening of the road.

The exhumed remains were moved, I think, to Hutcliffe Wood / Abbey Lane for reinterment.

But I am not 100% sure on this.

The road widening of St. Mary's Gate took place in 1974 and a large part of the church graveyard closest to the road was exhumed for the widening of the road.

The exhumed remains were moved, I think, to Hutcliffe Wood / Abbey Lane for reinterment.

But I am not 100% sure on this.

Sheffield Cemeteries Dept at City Rd would be able to confirm this or otherwise

There were some pretty old ones in there including that of  a Peninsula War veteran and a direct ancestor of a neighbour of mine, sadly now, also, deceased. I wonder what happened to graves like that though I confess that I never saw it or know whether it had a headstone or similar.