Meersbrook Walled Garden

RichardB

I would like to say thank you to all concerned in the organisation of today's events in the Meersbrook Walled Garden.

This was my first ever visit inside the walls, and it will not be me my last.

The gardens do not cover a huge area but are well layed out, concealed in the maze of walkways there is something new to catch the eye at the turn of each corner and sometimes it's like taking a step back in time.

I put some pics up on our facebook site, and one of our members who is on the charities committee at Nabarro solicitors is going to get a group together and go and see the organisers.

Hiroshima memorial in the Japanese garden

remnants of one of the old fireplaces in the outer wall

I stepped over and had a peek inside ,it seems to be a dry store for cement and such like,dIdnt look like it was in regular use though

Also got a pic of this fearsome beast guarding the Bishops house

I was once told by a lady at Traditional Heritage Museum on Eccelsall Rd that she believed the garden was part of the Cliffe Field House estate. Think that the house was about the junction of Derbyshire Ln and Cliffefield Rd

According to Meersbrook Park Users the garden was part of the changes made by the Shores who owned Meersbrook House. I think Cliffefield house and gardens was higher up than that. I have a map prior to sale of Meersbrook Estate and it does look like she might be right. Hope this shows the map.

http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k538/1duckweed/Maps%20Norton%20Lees/

According to Meersbrook Park Users the garden was part of the changes made by the Shores who owned Meersbrook House. I think Cliffefield house and gardens was higher up than that. I have a map prior to sale of Meersbrook Estate and it does look like she might be right. Hope this shows the map.

http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k538/1duckweed/Maps%20Norton%20Lees/

Just for those who may not know, duckweeds map is upside down :)

I'm just mounting my horse and will be heading north to London ;-)

I don't care Norton Lees is at the top of the hill, Cliff field to the right as is Meersbrook House and the closed garden and Meersbrook at the bottom of the hill so how is it upside down? The Meersbrook Works is at the right at the bottom of the hill as it still is. If you put it the other way I'd be living upside down.

I don't care Norton Lees is at the top of the hill, Cliff field to the right as is Meersbrook House and the closed garden and Meersbrook at the bottom of the hill so how is it upside down? The Meersbrook Works is at the right at the bottom of the hill as it still is. If you put it the other way I'd be living upside down.

This missing section from your map should explain.

:)