Castle Markets

mick851

whats the latest regarding the markets, are they going to be demolished,? i see the work down the moor for the new markets seems to have come to a stand still???????? :blink::blink::blink:

thanks

mick

whats the latest regarding the markets, are they going to be demolished,? i see the work down the moor for the new markets seems to have come to a stand still???????? :blink::blink::blink:

thanks

mick

That could be a touchy subject on Sheffield History at present mick851.

Take a look at this recent thread

Future of the Markets

That could be a touchy subject on Sheffield History at present mick851.

Take a look at this recent thread

Future of the Markets

DaveH

oops!!! :unsure: i see what you mean. my only view is, we will miss it when it goes, got some bloody good memories of that place ( especially that toy shop near the meat market which is still there!!!!! :blink: ). look at the disaster English Heritage are doing with the park hill flats, do we really want another cock up like that? if it was a choice between the markets or seeing the old castle ruins,for me, it would have to be the castle. i'll leave it at that, dont want to be accused of starting a riot on here he he

mick

DaveH

oops!!! :unsure: i see what you mean. my only view is, we will miss it when it goes, got some bloody good memories of that place ( especially that toy shop near the meat market which is still there!!!!! :blink: ). look at the disaster English Heritage are doing with the park hill flats, do we really want another cock up like that? if it was a choice between the markets or seeing the old castle ruins,for me, it would have to be the castle. i'll leave it at that, dont want to be accused of starting a riot on here he he

mick

I don't think you would get to see a castle mick851, just perhaps a few bits of old wall.

However, I think regardless of what we as individual members may think would be the best option, we are all interested to see the outcome.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

Guest carlie167

A few pics of the Moor Market as it is called, although I will always have a soft spot for Castle Market, this one does have a good selection of stalls rather than the endless clothes and mobile phone shops.

Give it a go, it's not bad!

I have some images of the market I would like to share on here. How can I post pictures on here?

To upload photos.

In the reply box, click on More Reply Options then Choose Files, select the file (photo/s) saved on your computer, and Add to Post.

According to one Sheffield Councillor, the SCC have no money to fund any demolition.

But according to the councillors on the project they have. As usual, take your pick.

SCC can always find the money for their priorities!

. The arena is being demolished without charge, with the contractors taking away all the valuable metal scrap...In my "demolition" days we frequently paid the client for the job... when there was an abundance of potential scrap...I doubt a ferro-concrete structure would provide much in the way of scrap, so I can see the Markets joining the old Court House and lingering in steady decay for decades... creating a "Decaying Quarter of the City...Such is how far the once proud "City on the Move" has sunk! :(

Latest information is that work on 'soft demolition' of the interior is to begin in January 2014, and this will involve removal of asbestos, which is time consuming. Present date for actual demolition of the building is now September 2014.