Crazy Daisy Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest Noise Heat Power

I remember Ray Stewart and Michael Cooke (Radio Sheffield) as being the DeeJays in the mid 70's.

Not Michael Cooke who also presented the Look North footy results on Saturday afternoons??!! I know he presented Radio Sheffield shows, but it's taking a significant leap of my imagination to picture him on the mic in a basement club!! Wow.

I knew where it was, my point is the job they have done to make all trace dissappear. Did they have to fill it in to support the tram above it??

No

What happened was Tetleys (who owned Legends bar) saw that the trade had moved up to West Street and the tram works were underway which crippled the businesses at the time so decided to sell up to the building society next door who basically extended their offices into it.

Guest wisewoodowl

Not Michael Cooke who also presented the Look North footy results on Saturday afternoons??!! I know he presented Radio Sheffield shows, but it's taking a significant leap of my imagination to picture him on the mic in a basement club!! Wow.

Yes, that's the man he he

Many happy hours spent in the Daisy, a friend took the sign, a big daizy when it closed, it adorned his flat for years. Saturday lunchtimes in the crazy daisy, was the place to be, after closing moving on to Rackhams cafe, regulars at the time were the Human League, Jarvis, Richard Hawley, and many people from the thriving Sheffield music scene.

I think Tuesday night was Northern and Jazz funk, with regular trips to the twisted wheel, this must have been late 70s.

happy days

Guest andi064

The Crazy Daisy is still famous to this day:

here is a quick photo from 2 weeks ago. If you dont recognise them it's Susan Ann Sulley and Joanne Catherall of The Human League being filmed outside Blacks on High Street (Where the entrance to The Crazy Daisy once stood) telling the history of the Club and the story of their recruitment into the Human League 27 years ago, to VH1 for the program 'The Nations Favourite Music City'

Guest Martin1957

Hi,

Would the local Sheffield Newspaper Archives be able to supply a photo of the outside of this legendary venue?

I would have thought the girls discovery in there when the Band hit the big time would have featured?

Hope so,

Martin

Guest richy59driver

I used to work at The Crazy Daisy in 1976. Had my 20th birthday there.(showing my age now). Had a great time.It was 20 pence for a pint of bitter.

I used to go in on Saturday afternoon to collect my wages. Then procede to pass them back over the bar.

sorry to say I havnt any photos of the place. Oh happy memories....

Guest dragoncd

Me and my mate went to the Daizy every week! Stripey tights, capped sleeved t shirts, pencil skirt and platform shoes! Heaven knows how we managed to get up and down the stairs in them or dance but we bopped away to Ferry and Bowie!

Guest burgoyne

Me and my mate went to the Daizy every week! Stripey tights, capped sleeved t shirts, pencil skirt and platform shoes! Heaven knows how we managed to get up and down the stairs in them or dance but we bopped away to Ferry and Bowie!

used to go in the crazy daisy a lot in 1976 with a bunch of northern soul "mesters" including Neil St John (best friend at the time)... pernod & coke and southern comfort & dry... and listening to bowie, ferry and i seem to remember candi staton being on a lot... very happy days and seems a century ago

used to go in the crazy daisy a lot in 1976 with a bunch of northern soul "mesters" including Neil St John (best friend at the time)... pernod & coke and southern comfort & dry... and listening to bowie, ferry and i seem to remember candi staton being on a lot... very happy days and seems a century ago

Remember it well, Monday night at the daisy.

Guest nimo118

Your right it was called the Beer Keller (sp)

I think it was the first place (in Sheffield anyway ) to have continental strength beer served in 1 1/2 pints in 2 litre glasses.

The difference between that and Double Diamond was amazing

It was called the lowenbrau beer keller. theres a pic of me playing at the daisy with magdelaine somewhere on here.long time ago but the daisy was always good fun and we used to go EVERY night.

Guest shullie

I sort of remember those days- especially the cheap pernod.. on a Saturday lunchtime we would then stagger across to Walshs/Rachams for a cuppa !

Guest oblong12

Your right it was called the Beer Keller (sp)

I think it was the first place (in Sheffield anyway ) to have continental strength beer served in 1 1/2 pints in 2 litre glasses.

The difference between that and Double Diamond was amazing

And it has topless dancing...at least it did in my first year of Uni (76/77). It was so dismal I never went back and, although I went to Crazies a few times, hadn't realised it was the same building.

And it has topless dancing...at least it did in my first year of Uni (76/77). It was so dismal I never went back and, although I went to Crazies a few times, hadn't realised it was the same building.

Are you sure you aren't getting confused with the Hofbrauhaus - the Daizy was in place well before 76, and the Bier Keller preceded it.

Guest Barrie Siddall

Crazy Daisy

where do i start,best club for music good laugh,Wednesday ,Bowie and Ferry night,Friday Punk and Reggie.Satday afternoon before match few beers good chat and off to the lane.Was my second home great memories great people.

Guest theunionlass

Loved the Daisy, remember seeing a blonde mod from college who taken something that wasn't agreeing with him and was talking us through his bad trip. Being eaten by cows as I recall... Amongst my friends ignoring the girls from the Human League when they were trying to be noticed was quite a sport. Also played that game in the big synthesiser shop up City Road near Norfolk Schoola couple of times when I was there with a boyfriend.

There was a rumour that when they'd been excavating the building cellars that later housed the Daisy back in the 19thC they'd found a load of skellies and thought it was the site of a plague pit. Whatever, it was fabby, music and dancing.

Little known fact, Michael Cook was trained as a Methodist minister in Bristol in the early 60s.

Guest PhillB

Was at a Sheffield event at the weekend and they had the original sign there on the mantle piece, Bring back any Mmmmemories!?

Loads of you got the spelling rong, you on somethin?

Ah, that will have been "Do It Thissen", part of Sheffield University's "Festival of the Mind".

Here's another picture....

Guest Julia Ford

I went to the Crazy Daisy between 1979 and 1983, mainly with the Northern Soul lot. The raised dance floor made you feel you were performing for the whole club. Never went on Friday or Saturday nights as those were all nighters for us, but Saturday afternoons were somewhere to go if you weren't in a fit state to go home.

Guest paddyman

Well you're looking for some photos of the Crazy Daizy !i am putting on a Daizy reunion on at the Bessemer pub here in Sheffield! Here are some of the photos I've had sent me! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Guest shedevil
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2007 at 01:11, Sheffield History said:

THE CRAZY DAISY

crazy.jpg

High Street - Sheffield (red marks where the entrance used to be)

STAFF

DJ - Martin Manterfield (unfortunately he passed away)

You had to go downstairs to the below street level late night bar. It was probably most famous for it being the venue that Phil Oakey from the Human League met Suzanne and Joanne and signed them up for the band !

PICS

magdelaine___crazy_daisy_1975.jpg

magdelaine - live @ the craisy daisy - 1975

Do you have any memories of the Crazy Daisy ? (no matter how hazy !) let us know, click reply and tell us about the place, what it was like and what kind of music was played..

I worked there for about a year