Crazy Daisy Nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

THE CRAZY DAISY NIGHTCLUB
High Street Sheffield

post-1-1171358202.jpg

High Street - Sheffield (red marks where the entrance used to be)

STAFF

DJ - Martin Manterfield (unfortunately he passed away)

You had to go downstairs to the below street level late night bar. It was probably most famous for it being the venue that Phil Oakey from the Human League met Suzanne and Joanne and signed them up for the band !

PICS

post-1-1171358137.jpg

magdelaine - live @ the craisy daisy - 1975

Do you have any memories of the Crazy Daisy ? (no matter how hazy !) let us know, click reply and tell us about the place, what it was like and what kind of music was played..

• Like 1

We are desperate for pics of this place - so if anyone out there has any let us know

You can post them on here or email them to pics@sheffieldhistory.co.uk

Here's a pic showing the location of the Crazy Daisy

It's from around 1960 so not quite sure whether it was there then ?

THE CRAZY DAISY

High Street - Sheffield (red marks where the entrance used to be)

STAFF

DJ - Martin Manterfield (unfortunately he passed away)

You had to go downstairs to the below street level late night bar. It was probably most famous for it being the venue that Phil Oakey from the Human League met Suzanne and Joanne and signed them up for the band !

PICS

magdelaine - live @ the craisy daisy - 1975

Do you have any memories of the Crazy Daisy ? (no matter how hazy !) let us know, click reply and tell us about the place, what it was like and what kind of music was played..

was a good mate of Martin spent many a happy hour with him at the Daisy.

he used to be a chef at the crucible too.

Guest wisewoodowl

I remember Ray Stewart and Michael Cooke (Radio Sheffield) as being the DeeJays in the mid 70's.

What was it's name before Crazy Daisy, I think that it was a Bier Keller (sp) of some type

I remember Ray Stewart and Michael Cooke (Radio Sheffield) as being the DeeJays in the mid 70's.

What was it's name before Crazy Daisy, I think that it was a Bier Keller (sp) of some type

Thank you I've been trying to remember that name for weeks.

Guest wisewoodowl

Thank you I've been trying to remember that name for weeks.

I've been trying to remember the name of one of the other DJ's. "Spider" has just come to mind, can anyone confirm this?

Your right it was called the Beer Keller (sp)

I think it was the first place (in Sheffield anyway ) to have continental strength beer served in 1 1/2 pints in 2 litre glasses.

The difference between that and Double Diamond was amazing

Guest east bank

Daisy was unbelieveable, would leave after two on trips south to watch the owls, a family member worked the bar so i hardly spent a penny and another did the snack bar..bowie and roxy nights were replaced by punk nights come 77..

loved the pint pots with those glass handles needed to be a weightlifter to pick them up..

blinding site this..once took an eel in the place for a laugh and put it in a punters pot..happy days..

Daisy was unbelieveable, would leave after two on trips south to watch the owls, a family member worked the bar so i hardly spent a penny and another did the snack bar..bowie and roxy nights were replaced by punk nights come 77..

loved the pint pots with those glass handles needed to be a weightlifter to pick them up..

blinding site this..once took an eel in the place for a laugh and put it in a punters pot..happy days..

Welcome to the site - and thanks for posting

I've not met many people who actually went in the Crazy Daisy so would love to know more..

P.S - where did you get the eel from ?!!?

Guest east bank

I've not met many people who actually went in the Crazy Daisy so would love to know more..

been in the fairway inn at birley and one of the boys had brought the buggers in for a chap called old joe, he was not in so we trotted off down town but we first asked stan who owned the local chippie to fry us one..

tony.b asked for chips and eel and stan said we dont serve eels, he proceeded to throw it in the fryer..

we got barred for a week..

we had a small one left and sneaked it in the daisy, this kid went for a wee wee and we slipped it in his pint pot and waited for his return..at first he did not notice it but took a big swig and the eel and pot went flying..think the lad got chucked out but protested that their was a creature in his ale..happy days..

ha ha ha ha !!!!

"GET OUT - YOU'RE BARRED"

"but... but.... there was a creature in my beer - like the loch ness monster or summat"

"YEAH YEAH - COURSE SON - JUST SHOWS THAT YOU'VE MORE THAN HAD ENOUGH"

lol

Ill tell you all about it when I come over Neil.....Not long now

I remember the bloody steps at the daizy...fell down the buggers once after staggering out of the blue bell...Penthouse was the same...about 6 flights...and once walked into my own reflection and broke me nose after a visit to..I think it was faces..they had full length mirrors..i thought it was a corridor, and didn't notice myself walkin' towards meself...so to speak........

• Like 1

Guest transit

I remember the bloody steps at the daizy...fell down the buggers once after staggering out of the blue bell...Penthouse was the same...about 6 flights...and once walked into my own reflection and broke me nose after a visit to..I think it was faces..they had full length mirrors..i thought it was a corridor, and didn't notice myself walkin' towards meself...so to speak........

Classic.....!!!!!!! I bet you was"nt the only one! The management would have made a small fortune out of "You"ve Been Framed" if theyed have had CCTV on back then! - I bet you did"nt feel the pain till the morning after!!!!!

lol

I once went into a nightclub in Rotherham (the local police recommended it - we just stopped them and asked them where to go)

I think it was 'hadleys'

I remember walking in thinking "wow this place is big" but realised it was only half as big as I thought it was as I walked straight into the wall of mirrors with my pint

Used to go there quite a bit...............they had a Roxy Music night, we used to think we were cool strutting around like Bryan Ferry..............also went there at lunch times from college....the lager was watered down something rotten......could get a bit rough on some nights, the bouncers were animals & were best stayed well clear of.......all in all had some great times there, what is it now?

While being on High Street for the first time in a few years last week I was amazed to see that there is absolutley no trace of where the entrance was. I was stood scratching my head try to pin point excactly where it was. I know I was usually pretty oiled when I went in but it has me baffled.

I knew where it was, my point is the job they have done to make all trace dissappear. Did they have to fill it in to support the tram above it??