Looking For Information On A Steel Works Football Team

Blacky

I'm looking for any information on the Thorntons steel works football team from the early 1930's and in particular a certain Walt Booth.

I've included a clipping from the Green Un from January 24th 1931 showing the "Beatty Shield" winning team. (apologies if the photo quality isnt up to much - its a copy from the local studies!

My great grandfather, Arthur Hill was a member of the team and my grandfather, also Arthur has always mentioned Walt Booth and that he used to be "on Uniteds books" and he was "a crackin little player"

I have the book "Sheffield United Football Club - Who's who" by Denis Clarebrough & Andrew Kirkham and there on page 58 is:

BOOTH J W

OL/OR 1918-19

b. c1897

The book states that Booth played for both the Owls and the Blades during the Great war and later became a professional with Scunthorpe before being re-instated as an amateur in 1922. He played 17 games and scored one goal for United.

Could this be my man?

Other names on the team photo are:

Back Row - F Jessop, W Booth, R or K Wear, C or O Parkin, A Smith & G Sanderson

Front Row - W Hodgson, G Teagle, A Hill, A Thompson (Capt) & E Jessop

I would love to hear from any relatives of the above.

Thanks,

Lee.

I'm looking for any information on the Thorntons steel works football team from the early 1930's and in particular a certain Walt Booth.

I've included a clipping from the Green Un from January 24th 1931 showing the "Beatty Shield" winning team. (apologies if the photo quality isnt up to much - its a copy from the local studies!

My great grandfather, Arthur Hill was a member of the team and my grandfather, also Arthur has always mentioned Walt Booth and that he used to be "on Uniteds books" and he was "a crackin little player"

I have the book "Sheffield United Football Club - Who's who" by Denis Clarebrough & Andrew Kirkham and there on page 58 is:

BOOTH J W

OL/OR 1918-19

b. c1897

The book states that Booth played for both the Owls and the Blades during the Great war and later became a professional with Scunthorpe before being re-instated as an amateur in 1922. He played 17 games and scored one goal for United.

Could this be my man?

Other names on the team photo are:

Back Row - F Jessop, W Booth, R or K Wear, C or O Parkin, A Smith & G Sanderson

Front Row - W Hodgson, G Teagle, A Hill, A Thompson (Capt) & E Jessop

I would love to hear from any relatives of the above.

Thanks,

Lee.

Thornton Sports won the Beatty Shield 2 years running 1929/30 and 1930/31.

The Shield competition was run by the Sheffield Works Sports Association which was set up in 1919. The Shield was presented to the Competition by Earl Beatty who was the first Admiral of the fleet and took the surrender of the German Navy at the end of the first world war. The Shield was sold at ELR Auctions last October for £611 and has been on ebay several times since at £680, but did not appear to sell. As a result, I rather suspect that it has now been melted down for its silver contents.

The Shield competition was run by the Sheffield Works Sports Association which was set up in 1919. The Shield was presented to the Competition by Earl Beatty who was the first Admiral of the fleet and took the surrender of the German Navy at the end of the first world war. The Shield was sold at ELR Auctions last October for £611 and has been on ebay several times since at £680, but did not appear to sell. As a result, I rather suspect that it has now been melted down for its silver contents.

David Richard Beatty - an interesting life.

The Shield was sold at ELR Auctions last October for £611 and has been on ebay several times since at £680, but did not appear to sell. As a result, I rather suspect that it has now been melted down for its silver contents.

eBay link

Bidding ended 23rd December 2010.

Thanks for the info - that was quite spooky looking at the pics on e-bay.

Wish I'd have had the £680 in December to buy it - sure the kids would have understood!!!

Lee