Photos By Dave Hitchborne

vox

I knew Dave when he lived in Sheffield years ago and came across his photos on Geographia.

He's obviously been coming back here from time to time.

There's a nice bus picture taken at Rivelin Dams Bus Terminus for the transport boys and girls.

There's also an old one of Victoria Station taken in the fifties.

I've linked to the search results for Sheffield, but other search terms may return more.

There are some interesting notes and history with the photos as well. (Broomhill cottage industry for instance)

Also - see Dave's drawing of the former Sheffield Savings Bank at Crookes.

Sheffield related

Dave's Photos

I knew Dave when he lived in Sheffield years ago and came across his photos on Geographia.

He's obviously been coming back here from time to time.

There's a nice bus picture taken at Rivelin Dams Bus Terminus for the transport boys and girls.

There's also an old one of Victoria Station taken in the fifties.

I've linked to the search results for Sheffield, but other search terms may return more.

There are some interesting notes and history with the photos as well. (Broomhill cottage industry for instance)

Also - see Dave's drawing of the former Sheffield Savings Bank at Crookes.

Sheffield related

Dave's Photos

Just like to point out to avoid any confusion that I am not Dave Hitchborne

Looks there are 2 DaveH's then :o

Guest DoreenC

The surname is actually Hitchborne.

Dave, ex bus driver, and his wife Barbara, ex clippie, lived at Crookes. He has put numerous photographs of Crookes on the Geograph site for anyone interested in that district.

They now live near Spilsby in Lincolnshire, so most of his 'work' is around this area these days. He has a particular passion for churches and railways.

A superb photographer for many years (he even did a complete set of wedding photographs for us, from leaving my parents home right through the evening wedding reception 39 years ago!) he's always pleased to hear from anyone interested in his MASSIVE collection.

:)

Regards,

Doreen

The surname is actually Hitchborne.

:)

Regards,

Doreen

Yes it is Doreen. Silly mistake. I've corrected it.

Hello vox, I'm Dave Hitchborne, as you can see. I've not figured you out yet, but your taste in music is the same as mine. I bought a 12" vinyl LP of Sonny Boy Williamson's from Violet May's many, many years ago and played the track, The Sky Is Crying, over and over again. I gave it away to a dear friend, but have since obtained the CD.

I can't guess who you are; you're seven years my junior, so we didn't go to school together. Thanks for the recognition; it's always good to know someone is looking in. I left Crookes, with Babs, for pastures new on 4th January 1974 and have been a resident of Lincolnshire ever since, though we have not stayed in the same place.

Crookes has fond memories for us both and such were the shopkeepers, of that time, that quite a few bought us wedding presents when we got married. I have no surviving relatives in Sheffield, so I don't get back there very often.

Doreen and her husband George are dear friends of ours (Hello, Doreen) and were also, on the buses. They too have left Sheffield and we try and see each other when possible.

As for the photographs, well photography is a passion of mine and joining Geograph encouraged me to get out and about and showcase the places I know with those I discovered when chasing map grid squares that hadn't been photographed. The photos are just photographic records. Read Geograph's Home page, to understand what I'm on about. I have many more pics of Sheffield, but I like to post blocks of photos from various places and not stick with the same location for too long. I have many of Rivelin, but am struggling to remember the grid refs.

This link should find all the current photos. More will be added later.

Thanks again, vox, for adding the links on this site and thanks Doreen for your kind words.

Please keep in touch.

Regards, Dave

Hello vox, I'm Dave Hitchborne, as you can see. I've not figured you out yet,

You're trying too hard.

I can't guess who you are; you're seven years my junior, so we didn't go to school together.

Which makes you a similar age to a cousin of mine.

Ah, Buffers! OK, now I know. :) He was supposed to be ringing me back 'tother day. Nice to 'see' you again and btw, it's about time you uploaded some of your photos into Geograph.

Guest DoreenC

Glad you've worked that out Dave.

Now will you please put that garden shed up or you really will be in the 'Dog House'

:rolleyes: