Where In Sheffield Is It?

Guest SheffieldArchives

re the football team.

Looking through some books of old photos the kit and some of the faces look similar to Sheffield United circa 1900. The chap on the left definitely looks looks like John Nicholson, United Secretary 1899-1932

The stand behind looks like the old John Street stand built in 1895 which had a white wall running along the middle.

Pre- or post-Fatty Foulkes ?

What about this from the picturesheffield and being at a different angle.

Fargate looking down at the Telegraph & Star . What would be at the

corner that is not in the picture? Light bulb danglies? he he

picturesheffield

Tram-laying, South Street, Moor, note hangy-dangler-lightie-fellas on the left on a corner and lampposts too and blinds on the shop on the right and a letter "M" hiding behind another lamppost

Link to hangy-danglers

You're on the right lines but you're beating down the wrong track he he

Roughly what year did all this tram track laying start.?

Then I might know which photographs to search.

The horse tram tracks were built in the 1870s. The electric tram tracks were laid from 1899 onwards, the majority of those in the city centre being completed by about 1905. There were lots of track renewals in the 1910-1915 period, but in photos of these the traction poles would probably be visible.

This photo is driving me crazy (again). Spent far too long on it when RichardB first linked to it, and now I am spending too much time on it again, still without any success. :angry: :(

What about this from the picturesheffield and being at a different angle.

Fargate looking down at the Telegraph & Star . What would be at the

corner that is not in the picture? Light bulb danglies? he he

picturesheffield

The tracks coming in from the left are from Leopold Street, so what is in the other corner is what I will always call Wilson Pecks: Even before the construction of that building, the background of buildings in the mystery photo does not correspond, as the background from Leopold Street would be Surrey Street and the Town Hall.

Now for something completely different:

When the tram lines were built in the early 1900s, a curve was laid from South Street/The Moor into Ellin Street. This was one of several bits of track intended for further expansion which were never completed. The road layout (T-junction) is right, but is there any photographic evidence to support or debunk this idea? I am not finding anything conclusive.

Do we have a map of the tram network?

That is far too sensible a suggestion - I prefer the gazing at the same photo for hours on end approach - until it burns itself onto your retina ...

Pre- or post-Fatty Foulkes ?

That is the real doubt as he should be there at that time but he wasn't so fat then but was tall so would stand out - all these blokes with taches look the same!

Unidentified house at Sheffield

Architects drawing of a house at Sheffield.

Hi Richard

I've had a look at a clearer scan. The writing says:

The Building News, 8 June 1883

Artist: W. R. Del, 1883

Architect: E. R. Robson

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives

Oh, that E. R. Robson ...

Born in Durham, married Henry Longden's daughter Marian; liked golf, bicycling and billiards.

-------------------------------------

There is every possibility that this house was never built !

Almost all the early schools built by the Sheffield School

Board were designed by local architects. ER Robson, architect

to the London School Board, was employed to design the Central

Schools and School Board Offices (qv), as well as 2 board

schools, of which this is one. The other is at Heeley Bank

(qv), and dates from 1880.

(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Source

Since I don't know about Trams and such, I've ignored them and gone for Pubs and Theatres instead !

The building on the right hand side is a Theatre and I present a possibility for your consideration

I don't think that the building to the right is a theatre. There is no canopy to the front which a theatre at that time would certainly have. A lot of the shops in photo's of that era have elaborate electrically lit sign-boards above them and the canvas blinds would seem to indicate retail premises.

Perhaps we should look at large shops with tram lines curving round in front of them, probably only a few hundred fall in that category. lol

HD

I don't think that the building to the right is a theatre. There is no canopy to the front which a theatre at that time would certainly have. A lot of the shops in photo's of that era have elaborate electrically lit sign-boards above them and the canvas blinds would seem to indicate retail premises.

Perhaps we should look at large shops with tram lines curving round in front of them, probably only a few hundred fall in that category. lol

HD

If it turns out to be Mrs Miggins and her infernal pies then I'll give it all up ...

HD

I agree with you hilldweller, it looks more like a large shop than a pub or a theatre.

Most shops had these canvas pull down blinds at the time and it also looks like

large glass windws. And what is it advertising up top of the building? What do those

letters say? There was a building that used to have BOVRIL above it, but I can't remember

where that was.

I agree with you hilldweller, it looks more like a large shop than a pub or a theatre.

Most shops had these canvas pull down blinds at the time and it also looks like

large glass windws. And what is it advertising up top of the building? What do those

letters say? There was a building that used to have BOVRIL above it, but I can't remember

where that was.

Should we have a vote, that's always good for a laugh - they always descend into chaos

Hanging lamps,

s03252

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=s03252&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVNvdXRoX1N0cmVldF9Nb29yJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJnBhZ2U9Mw==

Those lamps on Atkinson’s, South Street (Moor) appear to be a lot lower down

when compared to the image in question,

most of the lamps seen on the mystery photograph hang above the window canopy/s.

Those lamps on Atkinson’s, South Street (Moor) appear to be a lot lower down

when compared to the image in question,

most of the lamps seen on the mystery photograph hang above the window canopy/s.

Low hanging dangly-thingies then ...

High hanging dangly-thingies, also with a very distinctive lamp extention thingymajig ..

Middle two have, it may be the angle of the dangle.

distinctive window cills.

Hanging lamps,

s03252

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=s03252&prevUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVNvdXRoX1N0cmVldF9Nb29yJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJnBhZ2U9Mw==

The Atkinson's photo dates from 1905 according to Picture Sheffield. Any "posh" shop would have the latest fashions in exterior lighting 'so perhaps we can infer that our photo dates from that era. In my copy of Sheffield Corporation Tramways by Kenneth Gandy is a photo showing track re-laying on the Moor in 1909. This photo is attributed to Sheffield City Libraries but doesn't appear on Picture Sheffield as far as I can see. On a building on the right-hand side of the street is a shop with identical lamp fittings to the low hanging dangly thingies in our mystery photo.

HD

A further thought, are we absolutely positive that the tracks are being laid across the front of the "shop" ? Could the bits of track and the rubble merely have been placed out of the way and the main action taking place on the road that runs across the photo behind the "shop". And can I see the start of a letter A on the extreme edge of the "shop" signboard ?

Could therefore the "shop" be the side of John Atkinsons and the road across the photo be the Moor.

That concludes the case for the prosecution Milord !

HD

George Binns Ltd, no dangly thingies,

but note the the roof signs at either end of the building.

picturesheffield

And with some danglers .. picturesheffield

When the tram tracks were re-laid on the Moor in 1909 the service was maintained by laying temporary tracks on the surface outside of the existing tracks. The photos in the Gandy book show bits of curved track used to facilitate the transitions from centre to outer tracks as work progressed.

My money's on somewhere near South Street/The Moor.

HD