Where In Sheffield Is It?

Guest SheffieldArchives

Guest SheffieldArchives

Hello all

We've come across a number of unidentified photographs of places in Sheffield. They can be found on PictureSheffield.com but I've added a selection to our Flickr pages: Unidentified photographs of Sheffield

Out of the 45,000+ photographs we've got on Picture Sheffield, we're baffled by these ones!

If you think you recognise any of the locations, we'd love to know. Leave us a message on our Flickr pages under the photograph(s).

All the best,

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives

Hello all

We've come across a number of unidentified photographs of places in Sheffield. They can be found on PictureSheffield.com but I've added a selection to our Flickr pages: Unidentified photographs of Sheffield

Out of the 45,000+ photographs we've got on Picture Sheffield, we're baffled by these ones!

If you think you recognise any of the locations, we'd love to know. Leave us a message on our Flickr pages under the photograph(s).

All the best,

Numbers 12 (tramlines) and 13 (row of houses) have been discussed elsewhere on here. Just need a sensible person to find them ...

Hello all

All the best,

I'll get one of these if it kills me !

Photograph 6 - the "Cobbler"

a) There is no indication that this man repairs boots, nor, indeed that they are Cobblers by trade, no bent over Cobbler, I think they may be Curriers and Leather sellers who happen to stick on hells and soles as a sideline to their main trade.

B) How many Roads/Streets have a number 831 ? Plenty of Number 7's, number 32's - not many 831's - I can think of five - I'll leave it as entertainment for people to name those five, plus any others.

I'll get one of these if it kills me !

Photograph 6 - the "Cobbler"

a) There is no indication that this man repairs boots, nor, indeed that they are Cobblers by trade, no bent over Cobbler, I think they may be Curriers and Leather sellers who happen to stick on hells and soles as a sideline to their main trade.

B) How many Roads/Streets have a number 831 ? Plenty of Number 7's, number 32's - not many 831's - I can think of five - I'll leave it as entertainment for people to name those five, plus any others.

leather factor 831 Attercliffe Road

Numbers 12 (tramlines) and 13 (row of houses) have been discussed elsewhere on here. Just need a sensible person to find them ...

This one with the laying of the tram lines was once suggested as West Street but I

would disagree with that.

This one with the laying of the tram lines was once suggested as West Street but I

would disagree with that.

I agree it was mooted as West Street, but transport isn't my thing, agree it could look like Royal Hospital to West Street but discussed before by people that know more than you or I ... well. more than me, for sure.

leather factor 831 Attercliffe Road

Mr Wright or Mr Marshall then.

Marshall Wright & Co., Leather Curriers & Sellers, 831 Attercliffe Road; 117 and 119 West Bar and 315 London Road (Kelly's 1893)

Edward Wright (Marshall Wright & Co), 831 Attercliffe Road; 117 and 119 West Bar and 315 London Road (Kelly's 1893)

George Watson Marshall, Currier and Leather Seller, 831 Attercliffe Road, home Handsworth (White's 1905)

George Watson Marshall, Leather Seller, 831 Attercliffe Road, home Bowden House, Handsworth (White's 1911)

George Watson Marshall, Leather Seller, 831 Attercliffe Road, home 52 Main Road, Handsworth (White's 1919)

George Watson Marshall, Leather Factor, 831 Attercliffe Road, (1925)

William Glen Marshall, Leather Merchant, 831 Attercliffe Road, home 59 Elmham Road, Darnall (Kelly's 1925)

G. W. Marshall, Leather Factors, 831 Attercliffe Road (Kelly's 1957)

I agree it was mooted as West Street, but transport isn't my thing, agree it could look like Royal Hospital to West Street but discussed before by people that know more than you or I ... well. more than me, for sure.

Since I don't know about Trams and such, I've ignored them and gone for Pubs and Theatres instead !

The building on the right hand side is a Theatre and I present a possibility for your consideration

Here (image 1930's) and also here

"Grand Public House and the Grand Picture Palace, West Bar, at junction of Spring Street and Coulston Street. Formerly the Grand Theatre of Varieties, also known as Bijou & New Star."

Photographer (first image) T R Arkell

Taken from completely the wrong angle, the original is looking up the hill from the extreme right. Consider the details on the building, a "lintel", two sets of windows; obviously hashad advertising hoardings/lights at some point. Oh, and its surrounded by a criss-cross of tramlines !

Alternative view of the area though from 1880's

Since I don't know about Trams and such, I've ignored them and gone for Pubs and Theatres instead !

The building on the right hand side is a Theatre and I present a possibility for your consideration

Here (image 1930's) and also here

"Grand Public House and the Grand Picture Palace, West Bar, at junction of Spring Street and Coulston Street. Formerly the Grand Theatre of Varieties, also known as Bijou & New Star."

Photographer (first image) T R Arkell

Taken from completely the wrong angle, the original is looking up the hill from the extreme right. Consider the details on the building, a "lintel", two sets of windows; obviously hashad advertising hoardings/lights at some point. Oh, and its surrounded by a criss-cross of tramlines !

Alternative view of the area though from 1880's

Looking at this from a tramway perspective (which I have been doing on and off for some time), I don't think it is Coulston Street/West Bar.

The electric tram lines in this area ran diagonally from Bridge Street, across the area where the Pack Horse Inn had been and were not close to the buildings on Coulston Street..Coulston Street never saw tramlines, the horse tram line from Bridge Street to West Bar being laid on Newhall Street and round a very tight curve into West Bar.

Still have no idea where the photo actually is, however, despite much time spent on it. :(

Guest SheffieldArchives

Re. 831 Attercliffe Road - nice work RichardB!

I've asked one of my Picture Sheffield colleagues to supply me with a higher resolution copy of the football team to try and make out the writing in the background. We suspect it's a Works Team... but which one?!

Thanks for your interest everyone - there are clearly some persistent 'unidentifieds' here!

Guest SheffieldArchives

Thanks too to Neddy regarding the cobbler question.

I'm going to upload a few more over the next week or so. Apologies if you've seen them before...

Cheryl

Looking at this from a tramway perspective (which I have been doing on and off for some time), I don't think it is Coulston Street/West Bar.

The electric tram lines in this area ran diagonally from Bridge Street, across the area where the Pack Horse Inn had been and were not close to the buildings on Coulston Street..Coulston Street never saw tramlines, the horse tram line from Bridge Street to West Bar being laid on Newhall Street and round a very tight curve into West Bar.

Still have no idea where the photo actually is, however, despite much time spent on it. :(

I can appreciate your comments; not having much idea about Trams I couldn't factor in your knowledge on the matter.

Up an incline, to a T-junction on a flat Road .. with a Theatre on the corner junction (hanging globe lamps etc) not West Bar nor West Street - more thinking required everyone please.

Is a T-junction normal for a tram please - doesn't that require more of a wide street for turning purposes ?

I can appreciate your comments; not having much idea about Trams I couldn't factor in your knowledge on the matter.

Up an incline, to a T-junction on a flat Road .. with a Theatre on the corner junction (hanging globe lamps etc) not West Bar nor West Street - more thinking required everyone please.

Is a T-junction normal for a tram please - doesn't that require more of a wide street for turning purposes ?

T-junctions are not unusual on tramways, but it appears to be the case that almost all the junctions which look suitable on the Sheffield tramway are actually cross-roads where the fourth road has no tram lines, or are in places which do not correspond with the photo in question.

I tend to think that this is not a full T junction in terms of tramlines: the track is too close to the building on the right hand side for a right turn to be made. It looks to me like the track is going to curve away to the left only. Whether there is a track running along the road in the background is another unknown.

All I have achieved so far with this picture is to eliminate locations where it wasn't taken, which seems to have left me with a list of zero potential locations :(.

T-junctions are not unusual on tramways, but it appears to be the case that almost all the junctions which look suitable on the Sheffield tramway are actually cross-roads where the fourth road has no tram lines, or are in places which do not correspond with the photo in question.

I tend to think that this is not a full T junction in terms of tramlines: the track is too close to the building on the right hand side for a right turn to be made. It looks to me like the track is going to curve away to the left only. Whether there is a track running along the road in the background is another unknown.

All I have achieved so far with this picture is to eliminate locations where it wasn't taken, which seems to have left me with a list of zero potential locations :(.

Is that "other" Road/Street flat - or does it slope down from right to left ?

Re. 831 Attercliffe Road - nice work RichardB!

I've asked one of my Picture Sheffield colleagues to supply me with a higher resolution copy of the football team to try and make out the writing in the background. We suspect it's a Works Team... but which one?!

Thanks for your interest everyone - there are clearly some persistent 'unidentifieds' here!

re the football team.

Looking through some books of old photos the kit and some of the faces look similar to Sheffield United circa 1900. The chap on the left definitely looks looks like John Nicholson, United Secretary 1899-1932

The stand behind looks like the old John Street stand built in 1895 which had a white wall running along the middle.

My tactic for the tram line photo is to trawl through Pic Sheff to try to find the hanging lamps with globe shades, which are on the front of the building.

They look as if they should be easy to spot if there are any other pictures taken from a front view.

I've done a few hundred - I've got about 34,600 to go.

My tactic for the tram line photo is to trawl through Pic Sheff to try to find the hanging lamps with globe shades, which are on the front of the building.

They look as if they should be easy to spot if there are any other pictures taken from a front view.

I'm looking through my old Sheffield picture books too.

I think it is more central.

I'm looking through my old Sheffield picture books too.

I think it is more central.

There is not a great deal of Central left (it's not High Street/Church Street/Campo Lane or Fargate) and its a T-junction, mmm

Any thoughts on the word Pinstone on the cloth ?

That is one mightily impressive lamppost-base ...

Tram-laying, South Street, Moor, note hangy-dangler-lightie-fellas on the left on a corner and lampposts too and blinds on the shop on the right and a letter "M" hiding behind another lamppost

Link to hangy-danglers

But what about the buildings at right angles at the rear of the photo