Old Building Behind The Hallamshire Hotel, Lydgate Lane

sando

As I passed the Hallamshire Hotel on Lydgate lane today, I noticed that it is to be demolished to make way for houses and appartments, on closer inspection there is a single story building behind the pub that looks much older than the actual pub, I know there was a quarry and ropeworks close by and wonder if this building could be a remnant from those days, does anyone have a pre 1900s map that shows the area? The Pub is on the junction of lydgate lane and Rygate Crescent.

As I passed the Hallamshire Hotel on Lydgate lane today, I noticed that it is to be demolished to make way for houses and appartments, on closer inspection there is a single story building behind the pub that looks much older than the actual pub, I know there was a quarry and ropeworks close by and wonder if this building could be a remnant from those days, does anyone have a pre 1900s map that shows the area? The Pub is on the junction of lydgate lane and Rygate Crescent.

More houses and apartments, whatever next, more houses and apartments I suppose ...don't forget the student accomodations and pointless office buildings and retail parks - there will soon be a retail park each - name your own ....

Is this of any use sando, 1890's

Link to .. Flash Earth

Thanks Steve, I have highlighted the building in red, but was looking for a map before the pub was built, I have seen a few but they are too old, prior to the quarry,

Having a second thought, I wonder if there was a previous version of the pub, that the outbuilding belonged to?

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.380423,-1.511816&amp;panoid=nMVQekIIbnlMQ37kW6kh3w&amp;cbp=13,266.55,,0,7.44&amp;ll=53.379528,-1.511639&amp;spn=0,0.003015&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.380423,-1.511816&amp;panoid=nMVQekIIbnlMQ37kW6kh3w&amp;cbp=13,266.55,,0,7.44&amp;ll=53.379528,-1.511639&amp;spn=0,0.003015&amp;z=18&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Image from Google SV

OS map #186

The pubs footprint is completely different between the two maps.

Although it looks like the wall on Rygate is a continuous wall, it seems that it has been added to at some time.

They made a neat job of it.

The pubs footprint is completely different between the two maps.

Although it looks like the wall on Rygate is a continuous wall, it seems that it has been added to at some time.

They made a neat job of it.

Thanks Guys

The footprint variance is what made me think the pub may have been rebuilt at some point, and the building in the rear yard may be a remnant from the previous pub, but again I can find no record of this

Looks like a lot of changes since the 50's

The 3 houses marked 1,2,3 and the pubs outbuildings have gone to make way for the car-park and the horrible 70's extension.

The little one round the back seems to have survived.

I don't think it was an outside toilet because it has a large window.

It isn't shown on the 50's map although it surely must have been there at the time.

Odd

Edit:

Have they started pulling it down ?

Looks like a lot of changes since the 50's

The 3 houses marked 1,2,3 and the pubs outbuildings have gone to make way for the car-park and the horrible 70's extension.

The little one round the back seems to have survived.

I don't think it was an outside toilet because it has a large window.

It isn't shown on the 50's map although it surely must have been there at the time.

Odd

Edit:

Have they started pulling it down ?

They haven't started demolition yet, and the good thing is that they are using the stone to face up the new building, You not have they started pulling down, made me think I ought to get some pictures before it too late, the first one being the first view I had of the building to the rear.

They haven't started demolition yet, and the good thing is that they are using the stone to face up the new building, You not have they started pulling down, made me think I ought to get some pictures before it too late, the first one being the first view I had of the building to the rear.

That's why I asked.

The rough stonework on your first picture certainly suggests that at least that part of the out-building is older than the pub. (and older than the other side of the outbuilding by the look of it)

Thas gotmi wunderin nah

Looking at Old-Maps.co.uk the building appears at the same time as the pub. Initially that area was just to the side of the entrance to one of the sandstone quarries as shown on the 1853 and 1855 map (no pub)

However, the pub and the building in question appear on the 1890-1903 map, along with a few smaller looking buildings along what was then an extension of Cross Lane.

Looking at Old-Maps.co.uk the building appears at the same time as the pub. Initially that area was just to the side of the entrance to one of the sandstone quarries as shown on the 1853 and 1855 map (no pub)

However, the pub and the building in question appear on the 1890-1903 map, along with a few smaller looking buildings along what was then an extension of Cross Lane.

Cheers Mike.

It would appear that the buildings were built between the two map versions, although I am not sure how accurate and to scale the maps are. If they are accurate and the building is the same as the current building, on the 1893 map the space between the pub and outbuildings is far greater than the current outbuilding and current pub building.

The wall that borders Cross Lane / Rygate Crescent which now sits back from the line of the pub wall, is also wrong with the current pub, looking at the pub footprint it is certainly different to the footprint of the current pub, as per attached picture. This looks like the pub was extended or re-built at some point but the outbuilding belonged to the original building, although looking at the current gable there is no sign of it being an extension, i.e change of stonework.

Great work Mike at least we are making progress and the fact the buildings were part of the quary can be ruled out

The 'old' maps show some dwellings next to the pub where the car park now is, so these can't have been very old when they were demolished.

With my FM head on I think there are a few tell tale signs that the 'back' bit is in fact an extension rather than part of a complete rebuild. They have done a good job matching the stone work but things like the line of the windows is not what you would expect, plus they are much bigger than the original ones.

On a separate but related note, can anyone else remember the Chippy that was on the opposite corner of Rygate on the plot that is now a grassed area?

The 'old' maps show some dwellings next to the pub where the car park now is, so these can't have been very old when they were demolished. They are still there on 1950's map numbered 1, 2, & 3. They probably went at the same time the pool room was added. 70's by the look of the brickwork.

With my FM head on I think there are a few tell tale signs that the 'back' bit is in fact an extension rather than part of a complete rebuild. They have done a good job matching the stone work That's what I said but things like the line of the windows is not what you would expect, plus they are much bigger than the original ones.

On a separate but related note, can anyone else remember the Chippy that was on the opposite corner of Rygate on the plot that is now a grassed area?

Can't remember that Mike, when was it last there ?

I think the outbuilding that is there now is the one shown on both maps. On the 50's map it has been partly demolished and rebuilt to make way for the extension.

Something like this

The 'old' maps show some dwellings next to the pub where the car park now is, so these can't have been very old when they were demolished.

With my FM head on I think there are a few tell tale signs that the 'back' bit is in fact an extension rather than part of a complete rebuild. They have done a good job matching the stone work but things like the line of the windows is not what you would expect, plus they are much bigger than the original ones.

My Gran worked in the Chippy in the 40's and the story is the the row of shops and houses below were demolished due to subsidence, and if you walk on it now there are numerous dip and hollows, I understand a stream runs under this area

On a separate but related note, can anyone else remember the Chippy that was on the opposite corner of Ryegate on the plot that is now a grassed area?

My wife and I moved to Crookes in September 1973 and the chip shop was still there at that time. We only tried their fish & chips once and were not impressed. At that time we drove past it several times a week on our way out to relatives in Derbyshire.

There was also a good chippy near the top of School Road (corner of Sackville), at that time, but that one closed soon after we moved there.

HD