The Mooneys of sheffield

Guest sajrp

Guest sajrp

I've been trying to research my family tree and have got as far as 'Bridget Mooney' 1849, who married william pashley. I'd personally never heard of the mooneys or the sheffield gang wars, Hey I'm only 37, but I've been told there was a documentary made on this...? anyone know if this is true? If anyone can give me anymore info on Bridget Mooney or William Pashley, my great-great grandparents I would be eternally greatful and will help keep this site updated on any more info I find out about the Mooneys! Cheers

I'll do some digging

If there were any documentaries, chances are I could get hold of a copy for you from somewhere..

Hi, There was indeed a documentary called The Sheffield Gang Wars. It was made in 1986 by BBC North, and was based on the book of the same name by J.P.Bean. He also appears in the programme, which was produced by Patrick Hargreaves. Mike McKay was the reporter and it had a running time of 30 minutes.

Hi, There was indeed a documentary called The Sheffield Gang Wars. It was made in 1986 by BBC North, and was based on the book of the same name by J.P.Bean. He also appears in the programme, which was produced by Patrick Hargreaves. Mike McKay was the reporter and it had a running time of 30 minutes.

Hi. My uncle was in the police force late 1920`s early 30`s, and he used to tell me of the gang wars and particularly the "Mooney Gang". He recalled times when the police held pitched battles with them, but eventually overcame them under the leadership of Chief Constable Percy Sillitoe, by using the gangs own tactics against them.There was none of the "***** footing" with the yobs in those days, such as we have today. The police had a constant presence, and gave as hard as and frequently much worse than, they took. A similar presence would be much appreciated nowadays

William Henry PASHLEY Clerk 30 Spooner Road White's 1911

William PASHLEY button mould maker Wheeldon Lane; h. Leicester Street White's 1833

William PASHLEY Bone and wood button and mould manufacturer 5 Garden Street White's 1852

William Henry PASHLEY Clerk 30 Spooner Road White's 1919

William Henry PASHLEY Secretary 15 Ford Road, Ecclesall Kelly's 1925

William PASHLEY Hair dresser 20 Peacroft Baine's 1822

William PASHLEY Button mould maker 87 New Edward Street Pigot's 1841

pick the bones out of that lot he he

I have a copy of the documentary on VHS video, but no way of copying to DVD, if any one knows where this can be done at a reasonable price, I could get you a copy. Please advise.

Regards

Mark

Guest Andy Fielding

I have a copy of the documentary on VHS video, but no way of copying to DVD, if any one knows where this can be done at a reasonable price, I could get you a copy. Please advise.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

If You do manage to get it transfered to DVD I'd love to buy a copy from you. I was employed as an actor in the production but I never saw it on TV. It would be great to see if I was as crap as I thought I was.

Andy Fielding

I've been trying to research my family tree and have got as far as 'Bridget Mooney' 1849, who married william pashley. I'd personally never heard of the mooneys or the sheffield gang wars, Hey I'm only 37, but I've been told there was a documentary made on this...? anyone know if this is true? If anyone can give me anymore info on Bridget Mooney or William Pashley, my great-great grandparents I would be eternally greatful and will help keep this site updated on any more info I find out about the Mooneys! Cheers

supposedly my great aunt was murdered by the mooney gang, ruth farrand born 1895? My great grandad and grandma (Frank Farrand and Ada Farrand Nee ellison) swore thet it was the Mooney gang that murdered her...for reasons I am trying to fathom.

Guest sak

I too have been trying to research my family tree and when i asked an elderly relative he said i quote" Oh no, you don't want to research the Rigneys, Frank Rigney was mixed up with the Mooney lot, as were Sarah's boys". Apparantly the rest of the family moved down south and never mentioned this!! So i have just learnt about the sheffield gang wars of old, and now would love to know more, has anyone heard of Frank Rigney!!! His mother was emma and father james.

thanks for any help much appreciated.

Guest Ndavid957

I too have been trying to research my family tree and when i asked an elderly relative he said i quote" Oh no, you don't want to research the Rigneys, Frank Rigney was mixed up with the Mooney lot, as were Sarah's boys". Apparantly the rest of the family moved down south and never mentioned this!! So i have just learnt about the sheffield gang wars of old, and now would love to know more, has anyone heard of Frank Rigney!!! His mother was emma and father james.

thanks for any help much appreciated.

Have just discovered that George Mooneys first wife was Sarah Rigney, Sarah was my dads mums sister, trying to find out more about the children George had with sarah, who would be my dads first cousins. Has any body got any information.

Guest dailysmoker

supposedly my great aunt was murdered by the mooney gang, ruth farrand born 1895? My great grandad and grandma (Frank Farrand and Ada Farrand Nee ellison) swore thet it was the Mooney gang that murdered her...for reasons I am trying to fathom.

I have the dubious pleasure of carrying on the name although there is no link in my family to George Mooney back as far as we have found (early 1800's all in Sheffield).

My father and grandfather both suffered by association if the name was ever mentioned even in the late 1950's and I even had a couple of instances of people asking me if I was related to "the Mooney gang" in the 1980's!

I am glad we are not related to George Mooney as we are an old Sheffield family but do still get asked.

JPBeans book is very comprehensive and makes no mention of a woman being murdered. The gang wars centred around betting rings in the Park area of Sheffield (the other gang being the Park gang) and the violence although allegedly ususally minor did result in at least one murder from memory of the book.

The wars were in the 1920s and I dont think George Mooney would have been old enough to be involved in the 1895 murder.

Sergt. Major J MOONEY Drill Instructor West Riding Yorks 4th Artillery Volunteers (Western Divisi Drill Hall & Depot, Clough Road Kelly's 1893

Mrs. Mary A. MOONEY 29 Tapton Hill Road White's 1911

Mrs. Mary Ann MOONEY Beerhouse 23 Corporation Street White's 1911

Was there any family connection to the mooney girl who worked in a shop on holme lane?

I have no idea what so ever, just know my grans sister sarah married George Mooney, and had a daughter frances and a son John Thomas with him, she was his first wife. Their children being my fathers first cousins.

Guest SapperTaylor

Hi.

Back in the late 70's I used to go to a bar on Devonshire Street called Mr Kites. lol Anyone else remember this place? It was run by Brian and Veraina (spelling?) Mooney. Great times! My brother and sister and myriad friends would spend hours there listening to music, drinking Suave and noshing the fantastic Chilli. My neice still has links with the Mooney family.

Looking back in my family, we have a 'Peace', whether a relative of the infamous Charlie remains to be seen :blink:

Cheers

Chris

Hi.

Back in the late 70's I used to go to a bar on Devonshire Street called Mr Kites. lol Anyone else remember this place? It was run by Brian and Veraina (spelling?) Mooney. Great times! My brother and sister and myriad friends would spend hours there listening to music, drinking Suave and noshing the fantastic Chilli. My neice still has links with the Mooney family.

Looking back in my family, we have a 'Peace', whether a relative of the infamous Charlie remains to be seen :blink:

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Brian and Vereena (sic) were great friends with my second cousin, Peter Dixon. Unfortunately he died a few years ago and, as things do, we gradually lost touch with them (we no longer live in Sheffield).

Spookily, I have just spent the weekend with my sister, who was across from Thailand, where she now lives, and we were talking

about Brian, Vereena and Hannah, their daughter.

Last time we saw Brian he was not too good on his pins and looked quite unwell - would love to know how they are keeping. Like you, had some great times in Mr Kites, and some great parties at his house.

Guest educator

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

I realise you posted this sometime ago but I am looking into the Sheffield Gangs and could copy the VHS onto DVD for you at no cost!

Let me know if you are still interested?

Neil

Guest Trefcon

Reading the 'Sheffield Gang Wars' at the moment courtesy of RichardB. The odd mention of the men involved serving in the Great War.

Just done a quick check and found papers on Ancestry ( or very good candidates ) for men mentioned in the book including -

Gilbert Marsh of Hoyle Street. Royal Engineers and Tank Corps.

Richard Addy.

William Carr - found a William John Carr of Stepney Street, Park. Driver RASC.

John Henry Towler, barman of Duke Street. York & Lancs.

Frank Kidnew - York & Lancs & R.F.A.

Peter Winsey - Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.

George Wheywell - KOYLI.

Thomas Rippon.

William Furniss - 8378 York & Lancs.

Charles Mackay Bowler, aka 'Sandy' Bowler - (search for Charles Machay Bowler on Ancestry ), 12312 Sgt. 7th York & Lancs. Awarded the MM on 22.1.17. Character on discharge - Very good.

Also mentioned in the book is Albert Chapman, 11 years regular service, and obviously William Francis Plommer, the Princess Street murder victim.

There might be others ?

Dean.

Reading the 'Sheffield Gang Wars' at the moment courtesy of RichardB. The odd mention of the men involved serving in the Great War.

Just done a quick check and found papers on Ancestry ( or very good candidates ) for men mentioned in the book including -

Gilbert Marsh of Hoyle Street. Royal Engineers and Tank Corps.

Richard Addy.

William Carr - found a William John Carr of Stepney Street, Park. Driver RASC.

John Henry Towler, barman of Duke Street. York & Lancs.

Frank Kidnew - York & Lancs & R.F.A.

Peter Winsey - Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.

George Wheywell - KOYLI.

Thomas Rippon.

William Furniss - 8378 York & Lancs.

Charles Mackay Bowler, aka 'Sandy' Bowler - (search for Charles Machay Bowler on Ancestry ), 12312 Sgt. 7th York & Lancs. Awarded the MM on 22.1.17. Character on discharge - Very good.

Also mentioned in the book is Albert Chapman, 11 years regular service, and obviously William Francis Plommer, the Princess Street murder victim.

There might be others ?

Dean.

George Wheywell was 14 in 1911 census

His father also George was 42

Guest synthman

Does anyone know where George Mooney was born?. Someone once told me, It was 'Thurcroft' in Rotherham, as told , by an old gentleman I once spoke too.

Does anyone know where George Mooney was born?. Someone once told me, It was 'Thurcroft' in Rotherham, as told , by an old gentleman I once spoke too.

Births Sep 1890

Mooney George Sheffield 9c 437

Sheffield Indexers,

Mooney, Georgius (of 24 Spring St, born 1890-06-17).

Baptised June 29, 1890, by Georgio Bradley MC at St Marie’s RC Church, Sheffield Centre.

Parents name(s) are Maria Anna Barrett & Thomae (~).