Whatever Happend To ??

syrup

Whatever happend to Whitsuntide, The one time of the year that everyone had new clothes on their backs especially the children and Whit weekend was always sunny and the Boys Brigade marched through the streets of the estates follow their Brigade Band all the families came into their gardens their children marching or running alongside.

The climax with all the area Brigades marching to their local parks on the Sunday or Monday ( not sure which ) the crowds lining the roads the Bands trying to out play each other the Marching Boys doing their upmost to look the best and finaly games, picnics and ice creams in the park with your friends and family.

Whatever happend to Whitsuntide.??

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176495061.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-576-1176494998.jpg

I believe the camera was a box brownie with auto focus as likely as space travel them days. ( yes i have still got the camera )

Guest tsavo

Whitsuntide, traditionally when we all got our new clothes and shoes. Everyone looked a bit smarter when we went back to school as we were wearing last years 'Sunday best'! Marching to the park on the Monday, followed by a church picnic and games. (but only when out of the 'new' Sunday best!)

all except two, They were on Rolleston Road.

I grew up on the corner of Rolleston Road and Fairthorn road. We used to go down to Firth Park every Whit monday the up to Shefield Lane Top on the Tuesday for the Star Walk

I grew up on the corner of Rolleston Road and Fairthorn road. We used to go down to Firth Park every Whit monday the up to Shefield Lane Top on the Tuesday for the Star Walk

We were nearly neighbors then i lived at 66 but i am 7 years older than you so our paths might not have crossed.

We were nearly neighbors then i lived at 66 but i am 7 years older than you so our paths might not have crossed.

Maybe not I lived at 36 Fairthorn Road for twenty years. I hava a couple of older sisters who you might know and I am sure there are families that we would both remember.

Guest wisewoodowl

I remember marching from Wesley Hall on Wincobank Lane to Firth Park in the 60's. The Boys Brigade band always lead from our chapel.

Well would you believe it. Looking closer at the Photos I see you managed to capture a picture of me marching alongside the band lol

Guest mackyD

We used to go to Western Park at whitsuntide and listen to the singing etc. I remember it used to get packed! and the weather always used to be lovely back then! Why was that?! It was something I used to look forward to every year. We went up to the newly opened museaum last week and the memories of the whitsuntide thing came flooding back as we sat in the park having our ice creams! Decided to share the memories with my 11 year old ~ he says that I have so many memories because I am so old! ( well at 38 I am ancient!)

I was in the 37th Boys Brigade at Hatfield house lane methodist church, what a thrill it was at Whitsuntide marching to firth park, I used to play Side Drum,and remember in between the Bugles playing we used to do different drum "tunes", my favorite "tune" was one called chop sticks where we clicked our drumsticks together, we used to save that one till we got to the Roundabout at Firth Park, I think that would have been about 1961/2.

Whitsuntide, Hillsborough Park, early 1900s. The Whit Sing - hymns practised for weeks sung, with gusto by adults and children from local churches and chapels. Everyone decked out in their Whitsuntide clothes and splendid hats.

Here also, the bandstand, which I can remember, don't know what year it was demolished, or indeed, why ...

Guest coffee cup

I remember my sister and me getting new clothes for whit sunday, even down to new socks. We used to go to sunday School at wisewood Methodist Church, we used to walk and meet the other churches with our church banner. I remember it was always warm and sunny.

:) :)

HI Syrup. I lived on Hinde House Lane and was in Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Church ( on Upwell Street) Boys Brigade ( The 53rd Sheffield) . My memories of Whit Monday were wionderful and I can only remember one when the weather stopped us from marching to Firth Park!

Attached are 2 pictures . The first was taken in 1951 I think of us on Upwell Street just after leaving the church.

The second was taken in 1961 just after we set off from opposite the church. I am the side drummer on the right at the front.

THe 53rd is still in existence - I was at its 75th anniversary reunion in March this year.

Ah - what great times !!!

Guest crookesmoorlad

We used to go to Western Park at whitsuntide and listen to the singing etc. I remember it used to get packed! and the weather always used to be lovely back then! Why was that?! It was something I used to look forward to every year. We went up to the newly opened museaum last week and the memories of the whitsuntide thing came flooding back as we sat in the park having our ice creams! Decided to share the memories with my 11 year old ~ he says that I have so many memories because I am so old! ( well at 38 I am ancient!)

I thought you may want to show your lad a photo of Whit Monday parade in Weston Park, so have put this one on

it shows our band ( or part of it ) of the 4th Sheffield Boys Brigade St. Johns ( Crookesmoor Road ) , I am the drummer at the front of the

picture , and we are leading the new May Queen out of the park to go back to church. It was taken in 1962.

by the way , if your lad thinks you are ancient -he will probably think I am prehistoric !! :rolleyes:

I was in the Boys Brigade, is the one you're calling Firth Park, the 2nd Company based at the church down Firvale opposite St Cuthburts? I think you lot or older than me I was there during the early 80s. We marched too, we'd march up the hil to Osgathorpe road and round that area, oh the memories!l

I was in the Boys Brigade, is the one you're calling Firth Park, the 2nd Company based at the church down Firvale opposite St Cuthburts? I think you lot or older than me I was there during the early 80s. We marched too, we'd march up the hil to Osgathorpe road and round that area, oh the memories!l

Hi TCV The Firth Park Brigade was based in a very large wooden hut on what was waste land between the Church and the Paragon Cinema where the shops are now i think Company No was 53 or 57 i am not to sure we were the first to have a Trumpeter in the Marching Band.

Guest MarkyB

Well, chaps you'll be pleased to know the Boys' Brigade is still going in Sheffield, Still companies at Firth Park, Grimesthorpe and Firvale and Shiregreen and across the city as well as Dronfield Chesterfield and Carlton-in - Lindrick see the Battalion website http://sheffield.boys-brigade.org.uk.

Boys Brigade is celebrating its 125th anniversary this year. We're holding a show of our Memorabillia at the Sheffield Traditional Hertitage Museum on 27th of September 2008 as part of our celebrations. the Battalion Parade will be at Firth Park Methodist Church on 12th October. Details on the web site nearer the time. All old Boys welcome. I hope you don't mind but I've printed your pictures to be included.

Whitsuntide, traditionally when we all got our new clothes and shoes. Everyone looked a bit smarter when we went back to school as we were wearing last years 'Sunday best'! Marching to the park on the Monday, followed by a church picnic and games. (but only when out of the 'new' Sunday best!)

Just happend to find a photo of my Sister and me in what i think would have been our Whitsuntide clothes.( Quite smart i think )

Just happend to find a photo of my Sister and me in what i think would have been our Whitsuntide clothes.( Quite smart i think )

Very fine indeed ! Can you give us an approximate year please ?

Very fine indeed ! Can you give us an approximate year please ?

I'll have a guess at 1955.

That's based on a photo my mom has of me from around that time.

Same sandals, same length shorts etc. :)

How close Syrup ?

I'll have a guess at 1955.

That's based on a photo my mom has of me from around that time.

Same sandals, same length shorts etc. :)

How close Syrup ?

Well i was born in 1948 and my Sister in 1951? so 1955 wouldn't be far off.

In reply to the original question, - "whatever happened to Whitsuntide?"

When exactly did Whitsuntide cease to exist as a Christian calendar event?

These days its just a "Spring Bank Holiday" (Banks get more holidays than teachers, - and more pay, and massive bonuses even if they are incompetant :angry: )

But these days, no kids in new clothes, no parades and celebrations, not even bible readings about the resurection and assencion of Christ.

Just what has happened to Whitsuntide?

..and in a similar way, in autumn, whatever happened to harvest festival?