Help With Joseph Elliot & Sons

Guest William c

Guest William c

Hi all

Im new to here and already found this site really interesting :)

Im trying to research the Firm Joseph Elliot & Sons Sylvester Street where my Father Worked, and would love to learn more of its history. It is now apartments instead of a cutley works which it was built for, any infomation on this firm would be really appreciated,

Thankyou

William :)

On 07/02/2011 at 20:59, William c said:

Hi all

Im new to here and already found this site really interesting, I have already posted this in the Made in Sheffield but I thought it might be better in the Sheffield History Chat.

Im trying to research the Firm Joseph Elliot & Sons Sylvester Street where my Father Worked, and would love to learn more of its history. It is now apartments instead of a cutley works which it was built for, any infomation on this firm would be really appreciated,

Thankyou

William

Here's a start for you William

Sylvester Works was Ellins factory, they ceased production about 1933/34, it was taken over by Joseph Elliot & Sons. ( source Geoffrey Tweedale)

--------------

In 2006 part of the former Sylvester works was demolished to make way for new city centre living but there was an Archeaology dig on the site before it could be built on, they unearthed the remains of the Thomas Ellin & Co Grinding workshops known as Sylvester Wheel all powerd by water in 1794, but in 1850 these small grinding shops where demolished and the Sylvester works was built for the usage of steam power for their machines (modern at the time),

At the Sylvester works T Ellin & Co made large quanties of cutlery as well as Pen knives and Razors

britishblades.com*

* dead link

And another

According to Tweedale's book, Joseph Eliot & Sons was founded in 1795 and the trademark was granted in 1805. The original factory was in Hollis Croft but was renamed the Granville Works following the acquisition of Allen & Sons in 1902. In the 1920s the company moved to the Sylvester works on Sylvester street. It was bought from the Elliot family in 1972 by men named Slater and Taylor and production ceased at the Sylvester works by around 1990. Elliot & Sons made pocket and kitchen knives, scissors, forks, spoons etc.

allaboutpocketknives.com

Joseph Elliot and Sons (Sheffield) Limited was established as a private limited company in 1927.

The company's history however dates back to the Joseph Elliot and Sons business that was founded in 1795 at 4 Hollis Croft, Sheffield.

In 1921 Joseph Elliot and Sons was incorporated by Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers Limited.

The firm was active at Hollis Croft (until 1923), Spital Works, Spital St. (until 1926), Granville Works, 1 Sylvester St., Sheffield (from 1926) changing its name to Cutlery Agencies Limited.

In the early 1970s the firm was taken by J Dewsnap Bowler Limited, Sylvester Works, Sylvester Street, Sheffield.

Subsidiaries of Joseph Elliot and Sons (Sheffield) Limited include: I. and J. Barber, Colquhoun and Cadman Limited, Thomas Ellin and Company Limited, Lockwood Brothers Limited, John Wigfall and Company Limited, John Wilson and Company Limited.

*Source

dead link

At Weston Park Museum you can see a knife made by Sheffield cutlery company Joseph Elliot & Sons, which was exported to North America and used by the North American Indian Sioux tribe, before being brought back to Sheffield by the 2nd Baron of Wharncliffe.

*Source

dead link

Guest William c

Thakyou to everyone!! :):)

Im Learning all the time. he he

i have a couple of photos of the firm I will get them out and post them, If anyone else has any it be great to see them :)

Hi all

Im new to here and already found this site really interesting :)

Thankyou

William :)

I popped in here in March 2007, haven't found the exit yet

Met some wonderful people, seen some remarkable research and images, asked a few cracking questions ...

there are even people that tidy-up, put links in, move things around to make 'em right (Steve in this case) just in case people like me make a right mess of it all. Just chuck the information in, someone will deal with it. Of course, there are one or two "subject experts" on here, which helps.

Welcome to the Site Williamc, enjoy !

Hi everyone, I was just been given an army type knife and just this moment removed enough rust only to find the cutler you have been discussing, Joseph Eliot &sons, was looking for info on it and Sheffield history came up , not sure what the age of the knife is at a guess I would say 1940,ISH.but would like some opinions on that please. Thank you.

IMG_20190820_200353.jpg

IMG_20190820_200340.jpg

IMG_20190820_200048.jpg

IMG_20190820_195920.jpg

IMG_20190820_200128.jpg

IMG_20190820_200208.jpg

Hello Adrian , this one is by Atkinson Bros but looks like it may be the same pattern and said to be a scarce pattern British WW2 two blade Army clasp knife that were produced by several manufacturers in small numbers during WW2.

Full description here ------     https://www.fieldserviceantiquearms.co.uk/british-ww2-army-2-blade-clasp-knife--refd1865-2164-p.asp

atkinson_bros_1.jpg

atkinson_bros_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Hello Adrian , this one is by Atkinson Bros but looks like it may be the same pattern and said to be a scarce pattern British WW2 two blade Army clasp knife that were produced by several manufacturers in small numbers during WW2.

Full description here ------     https://www.fieldserviceantiquearms.co.uk/british-ww2-army-2-blade-clasp-knife--refd1865-2164-p.asp

atkinson_bros_1.jpg

atkinson_bros_2.jpg

Thanks for that boginspro 

I used to do out work for Elloits, remember manager at the time was name Revitt and an older lady called Violet used to work in the warehouse there. They used to do alot of knives but also cutlery, they had their own patterns and did very little of the usual kings, dubarry patterns of the time.

Found this in my old photos if it helps, taken in the 1980s. Nice drain-cover at bottom of picture, Calvin72 take note!

3337D0F9-D493-45CF-BBA2-46D692BAD1CA.jpeg

• Like 1