Fad clothing from your youth years

GrinderBloke

On another thread mickjj asks about Tuf Pathfinder shoes....

What about Monkey Boots

The plastic open backed gloves with black and white check pattern on the back and Velcro fastening

Platform boots and shoes for blokes!

High waist trousers... how many button have you got ;)

Guest transit

On another thread mickjj asks about Tuf Pathfinder shoes....

What about Monkey Boots

The plastic open backed gloves with black and white check pattern on the back and Velcro fastening

Platform boots and shoes for blokes!

High waist trousers... how many button have you got ;)

I remember wearing the gloves when riding my Chopper bike - i think they were made famous by the formula 1 racing drivers at the time including Jackie Stewart, around1973. Also i remember the "tank tops" (jumpers without sleeves) with 3 large stars on the front (74)

I guess I went through the whole range of fad clothing as a teenager. From Doc Marten boots and Harrington jackets, Crombie coat and tutone staprest trousers to platform shoes and oxford bag pants. Throw in patchwork jumpers, Ben Sherman Shirts (both button down and penny round collars), bluebeat hats and leather brouges (with the heels full of "Segs") and many others items you just "Had to have"

I guess I went through the whole range of fad clothing as a teenager. From Doc Marten boots and Harrington jackets, Crombie coat and tutone staprest trousers to platform shoes and oxford bag pants. Throw in patchwork jumpers, Ben Sherman Shirts (both button down and penny round collars), bluebeat hats and leather brouges (with the heels full of "Segs") and many others items you just "Had to have"

I just remember this stuff but the mention of Harrington jackets reminded me - wasn't there a shop is Castle market called - Harringtons? which sold fashionable clothes around that time? Was the name a co-incidence?

I remember going there with my mum in about 1975 - the last time I ever went shopping with her ( big embarrassment ).

Here's something from the not too distant past I think maybe It was a case of who never had one of these rather than who had one I think the company has now gone the way of the dodo but not too sure?.

Guest mega_monty

Here's something from the not too distant past I think maybe It was a case of who never had one of these rather than who had one I think the company has now gone the way of the dodo but not too sure?.

They had a store on the upper level at Medowhall everyone and their auntie had one of their multi-striped T-shirts or sweatshirts

Guest chocolatetiger66

I made my mum sew white tartan down my trouser's. I always wanted a pair of monkey boots but never got them. Then all the girls at school went mad for Rabeina shoes & boots. Very pointed outrageous shoes purchased from the stall in the castle market or a little shop off high street. I wore my Rabeina boots (with leg warmers) till they fell off my feet.

Very tight stretchy Smart Rs jeans were also the thing to be seen in. Then in 1984 I had to have a battered Lewis leather bikers jacket to attend Rebles (it was a stage I was going threw). I was really a bit mixed up cos I had posters of ABC & Heaven 17 on my bedroom wall.... lol

you can still shop at sweater shop in america but then again what cant you get in america??? :blink: :blink:

I just remember this stuff but the mention of Harrington jackets reminded me - wasn't there a shop is Castle market called - Harringtons? which sold fashionable clothes around that time? Was the name a co-incidence?

I remember going there with my mum in about 1975 - the last time I ever went shopping with her ( big embarrassment ).

It was just a coincidence. This is the jacket

Guest coffee cup

Snake Belts and a Tank Top that auntie had knitted. balaclava's and those gloves with the string that threaded through the arms of your duffle coat so you didn't loose them

Guest nosy nellie

underskirts with layers and layers of net.

dirndle skirts.

really pretty feminine dresses.

stilletto shoes.

when we were pregnant we wore smocks,which are the height of fashion right now.

pencil skirts and sweaters.

ballerina shoes.

bucket bags.

hats made of feathers on a headband.

i remember hairstyles called the

bubble cut .

the italian boy cut.

the d. a.

the french pleat.

pony tail.

and the men all wore suits with white shirts with starched collars very smart they were,and they would pride themselves on how much the suits were and which tailor made them.

Guest carlie167

Well, blow me. Sitting here browsing the site and what do I find? A picture of the very sweater I have on. Feeling like a dodo myself now!!!!!! he he

HOT PANTS - Very early 1970's

TWIST SKIRT - early to mid 1960's

OP ART - 2-coloured clothing (usually black and white) - mid 1960's

JOCKEY CAPS - early 1960's

GONDOLA BASKETS - 1960 onwards

CUBAN HEELS - men walked like they'd left their horse behind in those shoes! lol - mid 1960's

CAT SUITS - around 1966-1967

These are a few of my favourite oldie clothes!

Hi Fellow SHs

Does anyone remember this style of cardigan around 1960ish ( excuse my sister and i ) i can recal both of us helping knit them and the fact they were wool they got bigger as we got bigger or should i say older, its not many years ago that i found mine in an old suitcase rotting away and had to bin it.