Norton Scythe Makers Union Court Case

duckweed

Does anyone know where I can find details of the Norton Scythemakers who were imprisoned for trade union activities in the 1800s?

Does anyone know where I can find details of the Norton Scythemakers who were imprisoned for trade union activities in the 1800s?

There's a section on Norton scythemakers here, albeit a few hundred years earlier.

LINK

There's a section on Norton scythemakers here, albeit a few hundred years earlier.

LINK

Thanks I know that link well.

I have read the Norton Scythmakers song, Think it was in Chantry land. It says some of the scythemakers went to trial and were imprisoned but I don't know any more details. Presumably they went to Derby.

Thanks I know that link well.

I have read the Norton Scythmakers song, Think it was in Chantry land. It says some of the scythemakers went to trial and were imprisoned but I don't know any more details. Presumably they went to Derby.

I've found the song, It is in Chantry Land . The court case was in 1814 in Derby. Anyone know anymore

Its exactly what I'm looking for but am having trouble downloading it . I can only read a couple of the names.

Here's the song

The Norton Scythesmith's Song

At the Bowling green the Meeting was held,

We journeyman Scythesmith there did attend,

We drew up a statement as all had agreed

And sent to our Masters, but did not suceed.

We were summoned the Magistrate's court to attend;

Justice Jebb and Sir William nine of us did send

(Because we'd no money nor friend to give bail)

For a fortnight free lodgings in Derby jail.

And when we got there some drinking, some smoking,

While others looked sad,

We thought it was Bedlam and all going mad.

Hard boards and Long Straw we had for our Beds,

We pulled off our Breeches to put under our Heads,

We pulled off our Coats for both Blankets and Sheet,

We pulled off our Waistcoats to wrap our cold feet.

There is also a diary entry by Thomas Asline Ward on May 23rd 1814 saying it was hard on George Richardson who was a hardworking man

Its exactly what I'm looking for but am having trouble downloading it . I can only read a couple of the names.

Here's the song

The Norton Scythesmith's Song

At the Bowling green the Meeting was held,

We journeyman Scythesmith there did attend,

We drew up a statement as all had agreed

And sent to our Masters, but did not suceed.

We were summoned the Magistrate's court to attend;

Justice Jebb and Sir William nine of us did send

(Because we'd no money nor friend to give bail)

For a fortnight free lodgings in Derby jail.

And when we got there some drinking, some smoking,

While others looked sad,

We thought it was Bedlam and all going mad.

Hard boards and Long Straw we had for our Beds,

We pulled off our Breeches to put under our Heads,

We pulled off our Coats for both Blankets and Sheet,

We pulled off our Waistcoats to wrap our cold feet.

There is also a diary entry by Thomas Asline Ward on May 23rd 1814 saying it was hard on George Richardson who was a hardworking man

Duckweed the text reads! The following persons (in addition to those stated in our last)

were on the 18th instant convicted before Sir W Bagshaw and Josua Jebb Esq of an unlawfull

combination to obtain an advance of wages, contrary to the statute,and commited to our county

gaol for three calendar mounths ,viz Samuel Fox of Gleadless and James Turner of Sheffield

both in the county York, John Reany the younger,of Norton and John Bingham of Greenhill

both in this county, Scythe makers.

Duckweed the text reads! The following persons (in addition to those stated in our last)

were on the 18th instant convicted before Sir W Bagshaw and Josua Jebb Esq of an unlawfull

combination to obtain an advance of wages, contrary to the statute,and commited to our county

gaol for three calendar mounths ,viz Samuel Fox of Gleadless and James Turner of Sheffield

both in the county York, John Reany the younger,of Norton and John Bingham of Greenhill

both in this county, Scythe makers.

Thanks where did you get it from? I have still got 4 names to find. I looked up census records and John Bingham is Norton and Sam Fox is Greenhill. Typical newspaper report. They seem to be mostly in their early 20s in 1814.

Thanks where did you get it from? I have still got 4 names to find. I looked up census records and John Bingham is Norton and Sam Fox is Greenhill. Typical newspaper report. They seem to be mostly in their early 20s in 1814.

From British Library Newspapers. The article was from the 25th May 1814 edition of the Derby Mercury.

Try Chesterfield / Dronfield Library !

From British Library Newspapers. The article was from the 25th May 1814 edition of the Derby Mercury.

Try Chesterfield / Dronfield Library !

Thank you very Much

I shall do that

Not found anything in the Sheffield papers but found this quote in Thomas Asline Ward's Diaries. I thoroughly recommend reading this book albeit a little over edited.

I cannot help pitying the poor men who are to be punished for combination, one of whom is George Richardson, of Norton, a man who works like a slave for the decent maintenance of his family. It is a shameful thing that they have no other means of raising their wages, and that the only one is punishable. Surely the masters should agree to give a proper proportion of gains?(May 23, 1814)

Peeps into the Past- The Diaries of Thomas Asline Ward (1909)

Not found anything in the Sheffield papers but found this quote in Thomas Asline Ward's Diaries. I thoroughly recommend reading this book albeit a little over edited.

I cannot help pitying the poor men who are to be punished for combination, one of whom is George Richardson, of Norton, a man who works like a slave for the decent maintenance of his family. It is a shameful thing that they have no other means of raising their wages, and that the only one is punishable. Surely the masters should agree to give a proper proportion of gains?(May 23, 1814)

Peeps into the Past- The Diaries of Thomas Asline Ward (1909)

duckweed - Report from May 19th edition of Derby Mercury.

Commited to our county gaol for 3 months, John Fox, Joseph Martin, John Reaney, and Geo Richardson of Norton in this county

and John Fox of Gleadless, Yorkshire, sythemakers, duly convicted before Sir Wm Chambers Bagshaw, and Joshua Jebb Esq two

of his Majesty`s Justices of the Peace for this county, of an unlawful combination for an advance of wages contary to

the statute.

duckweed - Report from May 19th edition of Derby Mercury.

Commited to our county gaol for 3 months, John Fox, Joseph Martin, John Reaney, and Geo Richardson of Norton in this county

and John Fox of Gleadless, Yorkshire, sythemakers, duly convicted before Sir Wm Chambers Bagshaw, and Joshua Jebb Esq two

of his Majesty`s Justices of the Peace for this county, of an unlawful combination for an advance of wages contary to

the statute.

I have that, the song and Armitage says Nine and I can only find 7 George Richardson, John Fox, Samuel Fox, Joseph Martin, John Reaney, John Bingham and James Turner. I suppose there could be 2 John Foxs and that would make 8. But I am still missing one.